In Advent does your parish use the tune to O Come, O Come, Emmanuel?

My parish uses the tune to O Come, O Come, Emmanuel extensively during Advent. It is used for the Kyrie, Alleluia, Sanctus, Agnus Dei and Memorial Acclamation. Personally I get sick of it by the first day of Advent. I find it odd as the words have to be forced into the meter of the tune.

• My parish uses it as the tune for all or most sung parts
  • My parish uses it for one or two sung parts
  • My parish doesn’t use the tune

0 voters

I could Imagine… I have never heard of that being done

Only the hymn itself and halfway through Advent.

Good hymn, I remember the tune from the first time I attended a regular mass back when I was 5 or 6. It has everything you’d want in a hymnal, easy to sing with a simple tune that can sound like something even with untrained voices.

However, I can’t see using the tune for every prayer in the mass, and I can see where it would drive you nuts.

Your story reminds me of the Honeymooners episode where Ralph is driven up the wall with Norton playing Suwannee River to start every tune on the piano.

Nope, not in my parish. I consider myself lucky if they sing “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel” at all. It’s my favorite Advent hymn. They seem to prefer “O Come Divine Messiah” which I don’t really like in English.

I do like " “O Come Divine Messiah". Just seems so right and proper to sing during Advent.

We use only the Hymn itself as the entrance Hymn during Advent.

No. We sung O Come O Come Emmanuel as the entrance hymn, but that’s it. The Kyrie, Sanctus and Agnus Dei were in Latin using one of the simpler settings.

We sang that today! And O come…as our entrance hymn.

We only use it as it’s supposed to be used – when we sing “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel.”

We have used it in the past. But not any time recently.

Depends on how you play it. Our church, and others I have been a music minister for, play it in free time (no time signature, therefore no meter, like Gregorian Chant.) Some play it in long meter, creating a defined rhythm. I like it as an interpretational tune, that flows along until it is punctuated by a hard rhythm, like at the …in lonely ex-i-ile here…" part. That is so cool. It’s a great tune, wonderful to play, great lyrics. I will play it classical style, on mandolin, at my church in two weeks.

I’m more of a ‘Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence’ kind of guy myself.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.