In any great trouble call upon your Guardian Angel

Guardian Angels

Celebrated on October 2nd

The notion of heavenly beings worshipping God and ready to do his bidding, has been taken from Jewish thought and placed in the heart of Christian worship.

The ancient Jews believed that angels served both individuals and nations. Jesus accepted this idea too. He said the angels would support him at his second coming. Once he took a little child and spoke to his followers about becoming like children and caring for them. “See that you do not despise one of these little ones,” Jesus said: “For I tell you that their angels always behold the face of my Father in heaven.”

The notion of Guardian Angels is implicit in Our Lord’s own teaching. And in his own life on earth they are recorded in the Gospels many times. They minister to him in the wilderness and they care for him in the Garden of Gesthemane. Had he wished, they would have fought against his captors. They are present at his resurrection.

The belief that we each have a guardian angel has been common to Christians for many centuries.

The picture of a guardian angel that we often see is an angel protecting a little child as he or she walks over a small bridge.

In 1608, Pope Paul V added today’s feast to the calendar of saints and celebrations. It is very encouraging to know and believe that we each have an angel guarding and protecting us. Our guardian angel is a gift from our loving God.

St Bernard wrote: “In any great trouble, in any strong temptation, call upon your Guardian Angel who is your guide and your helper, in any difficulty and in any time of need.”

Angel of God, my mighty warrrior , to whom God’s love entrusts me . Ever this day be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. .

(from ICN)

"Angel of God, my Guardian dear, To whom God’s love commits me here,
Ever this day, be at my side, To light, to guard, to rule, to guide. Amen. "

The Work Of Angels

In the meantime, the whole life of the Church benefits from the mysterious and powerful help of angels. In her liturgy, the Church joins with the angels to adore the thrice-holy God. She invokes their assistance (in the funeral liturgy’s In Paradisum deducant te angeli … [“May the angels lead you into Paradise …”]).
Moreover, in the “Cherubic Hymn” of the Byzantine Liturgy, she
celebrates the memory of certain angels more particularly (St. Michael,
St. Gabriel, St. Raphael, and the guardian angels).

From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful
care and intercession. “Beside each believer stands an angel as
protector and shepherd leading him to life.” Already here on earth the
Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men
united in God.

Catechism of the Catholic Church (2nd Ed., p. 87). Washington, DC: United States Catholic Conference. #334-336
Past Daily Thoughts: http://ymlp57.net/archive_gubbemsgjgu.php Website: www.thegraceofpentecost.com

Thanks for sharing this with us, Seagull. :slight_smile:

I love to look at pictures and videos like this.

I like to think of the Angels watching over us and guarding all of us and protecting us in our daily lives and taking care of us in our daily needs.

It’s very personally comforting to me to think of that, even when we may not even be thinking of them and their guidance and their protection, they’re there for us, because of God’s loving care and concern for all of us.

It’s just so amazing to me, how much God loves us by giving the Angels to us, to help take care of all of us. :heart:

“Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom His love entrusts me here, ever this night be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide.”

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.