In Brazil dam burst, 2 workers face death, pray, and survive

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-latin-america-47137648/i-was-in-my-truck-as-the-mudslide-hit

What do you do when you see a huge mudslide coming and there’s nowhere to go?

Elias Nunes gives a first-hand account of how he and his colleague survived the Brumadinho dam’s collapse.

[Excerpt:] “I told my colleague ‘Now, my friend, it’s time to ask for God. Our time has come. This is it. Let’s just pray Our Father.’ When we finished praying, we were on top of the sludge.”

3 Likes

I don’t suppose I’ve watched very many videos of mudslides because that was horrifying and until I saw the cars, I thought it was computer generated. What an amazing tale of trusting God in the clutches of certain death!

2 Likes

What do you think your go-to prayer would be if you were facing something like this?

My gut instinct is usually Hail Marys, but maybe now I would remember these guys and say an Our Father.

2 Likes

Same here. When I’m in stressful situations, I tend to say the Hail Mary over and over again.

1 Like

Yes! Faster and faster until the kids complain I’m going too fast and I realize that they joined in even if they aren’t sure what’s going on.

2 Likes

What a great testimony by this man. Thank you Jesus for sparing the lives of these men so they can testify to God’s great glory.

3 Likes

In the Our Father we pray “thy will be done” and speak of God’s providence, forgiveness, and deliverance… But maybe when you are running away from a wall of mud, shorter is better!

2 Likes

That reminds me of the miracle attributed to Fulton Sheen for his canonization cause. The mom’s baby was born without breathing and all she could muster was repeating Fulton Sheen’s name over and over again.

I think this is why memorized prayers are so important and helpful. In extreme circumstances, it’s not necessarily very likely that we will be able to articulate on the fly a great prayer to God. But we can more easily pray a prayer we’ve prayed thousands of times before.

2 Likes

What a beautiful sentiment!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.