In Brexit Britain, the Ins and Outs are strangers to each other

I don’t know, why it is so. One of my friends is a student from St. Andrews, another is from England (although studies here). Both… well, not being exactly “traditionalists”, they both love the TLM and regularly attend it. Our TLM priest is also staunchly anti-EU, as well as a French man living is St. Andrews I met today. The last man was even angry that at the today’s Ordination Mass at the Edinburgh Cathedral the recessional hymn used the Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy”… :shrug:

I know a devout Baptist guy from Shetland Isles, who was hesitating with his vote, but eventually voted Remain just because he found preserving the status quo a more secure option. He said, he wouldn’t have voted In if the U.K. had been voting to join, not to leave. He mentioned his dissatisfaction with some kind of fishery policy of the EU. :slight_smile:

I’m not at all sure I accept the reality of this. Of the people I know, the ones who are most likely to take a chance, leave their mark, etc, are those in middle age. Younger people seem to me incredibly stodgy and lacking in an adventurous spirit.

Look at the Bernie voters. They basically voted to be dependent on “Daddy Bernie” for life, and are willing to live with a 100+ year old, worn-out ideology to do it. They are among the least independent-minded people I have ever met. Positively retrograde.

That’s not to say there are no young people who want to take a chance, leave their mark, follow their dreams. But dreams are realities imagined, not flights of ludicrous fancy. Take for example a young lady I know who works in a feed mill. She has saved her money, bought a tractor, mower, tedder and baler, all used. She learned how to repair most things. She does custom haying on the side in addition to her “day job”. Someday she’ll own a ranch of her own, for absolute certain. Contrast that with some engineer sitting in his parents’ basement in Buffalo NY wishing he had a job, but wouldn’t dream of moving to places like where I live, where engineering jobs are going wanting. BUT, he would have to move to the Ozarks and live in a town of about 200,000 people (or even fewer in some of the towns around here with industry). Where’s the adventurous spirit in that?

I recently talked to a lawyer in a small town who has a rewarding practice. He and his partner have tried to recruit law graduates at a decent wage and a possibility of partnership. But he gets no takers, despite the fact that law graduates’ prospects are exceedingly poor nationwide. Seems the recent graduates all want to starve to death and earn nothing or get no employment at all so long as they can live in a city that has malls with a Saks Fifth Avenue in it that they can’t afford to shop in.

In another town near here, there is a manufacturing plant that needs 200 IT people and engineers. Can’t get any. I know of a software company here that needs 1,000 people, but can’t get them. And yet, we’re told engineering graduates can’t get a job because of all the Indians the employers are importing on H1B visas. My goodness, if some young Indian can move to the U.S. from India, why can’t a young American engineer move to Springfield, Missouri? No opera perhaps? Is that it? I’ll grant, there’s no Saks here, and the baseball team is only minor league. No pro football team at all, and the nearest one is 3 hours away. Much too far to drive. :rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but I’ll bet it’s even harder to get people in Wichita or Tulsa. (Omigosh! Aren’t those places somewhere on the back side of the moon?)

Stodgy.

Or perhaps that they believe that the UK has been know to negotiate a trade agreement or two on it’s own, and can probably do so again.

I fully expect something similar to the NAFTA that is in place between the US, Canada and Mexico will evolve between the UK and the EU.

I heard the same from fishermen complaining about not being able to fish in what they consider to be their legal territory.

The exit side of it won. And it won for reasons. Most of what I hear about it was that a lot of Britons didn’t like being ruled so closely and so insistently by a government they didn’t elect.

Now, it seems to me if the EU decides that it’s really a trading partnership again and eliminates some of what some think of as heavy-handedness, they can probably get the Brits to vote back in. One suspects that’s likely.

It isn’t as if nobody else is chafing under the rule by Brussels, or perhaps Germany. Does anybody really think the countries that have been required against their wills to undergo austerity are happy about it? Does the German model fit all? Apparently not very happily.

Maybe the message in all of this is that the EU needs to reform itself.

You have a point about the young. Somehow I got it into my head in adolescence that the ideal role model for ages 20-30 was along the lines of: Byron, Shelley, and Keats. I grew out of it (more or less), but I am very thankful for it all the same - it was one of the best “leads” I ever got out of my childhood. Wouldn’t trade it for the world. :wink: Even in college I was appalled at the stodginess of many of my fellow students. Trust me, the family, the mortgage, the job, the car will always be there waiting to box you in…if you let them.

I just find it amusing the way the ages broke down in the Brexit vote. But as I understand it, the EU did provide subsidies and unlimited travel in Europe, so maybe the priorities of youth are the same after all…:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.