In Bruges (2008)

Have any of you seen the movie “In Bruges”? While there exists strong, bloody violence and pervasive language (and thus is intended for certain audiences) the themes of the film make it worthy of attention, and the quality of film is top notch.

Here’s a link to a little write-up of mine about the movie “In Bruges”: Review and Reaction.

I think “In Bruges” is brilliantly humorous, at times, and deadly serious at other times, and I think writer and director Martin McDonagh does a good job of navigating between these tendencies. I would consider my review and reaction as less of a specific engagement with the themes of the film (as I don’t want to reveal significant plot), and more of a bit of an Introduction to anticipate your experience. I find the characters Ray, Ken and Harry as making for an interesting study, especially when cast against larger concepts of hell, purgatory and heaven, and the direction each seems headed. But what do you think?

KW.
Musings: kellyjwilson.blogspot.com/

While it’s by no means a christian movie (they kill a priest for cryin out loud) the movie itself is fantastic. I just watched it last weekend with my friend for the second time. I had seen it a couple years ago and loved it. Of course I don’t condone violence in any real regard, I don’t mind watching violent movies. I love Boondock Saints which has a very light pro Catholic feel to it (just doesn’t at all represent what the Church actually teaches) but that’s not the point of the movie, nor was it one of their angles so watching the movie as it was and enjoying it for what it was is about all I can do. In Bruges is a really good movie and I recommend it to anyone who wants a laugh.

Good movie.

I liked the film a great deal.

Then, again, I wonder what somebody from Bruges would think of the film :):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

What a koinkydink - I just saw the film a few days ago.

I think it fantastically shows the awful consequences and repercussions a life of crime can have. It’s smart and funny in places along with the violence, like a good Tarantino film.

And the last line (spoken by Colin Farell’s character - don’t want to spoil it for those who haven’t seen the film) just cracked me up :slight_smile:

It actually makes the city itself look quite pretty. And most of the characters like it as well, it’s only one who doesn’t.

I agree…very good film, fantastic performances.

What are you saying St. Patrick: Because in a movie, a character kills a priest, the movie isn’t Christian? Did you really think that this movie was endorsing that act? Or do you think that this act, and particularly in the collateral consequences of this act, provided the director opportunity to talk about what he wanted to talk about, namely, forgiveness and redemption?

I’m glad you enjoy In Bruges, but if you think it’s there only to provide laughs, or if you think that’s all a person might get out of it, then perhaps if you re-watched it again, you might find yourself being more aligned to something of the subject matter, and the, yes, Christian themes.

Lily, it’s always interesting what people find funny. I’m not sure why that last line cracked you up. You have a character that believes the only way to atone for his sins is by being punished (even if in a self-inflicted way), and then through the redemptive act of another character, and through his own experience of love, he finds he can learn to forgive himself. We have a character who learns to reject the philosophy he had adopted (a philosophy manifested in the character Harry who doesn’t believe in forgiveness). What’s funny about that?

KW.
Musings: kellyjwilson.blogspot.com/

Huh? Isn’t the last line when Colin Farrell’s character has been shot and thinks ‘I really hope I either die or go to prison, because either way at least I won’t be in f***ing Bruges!’ I find it hilarious that in spite of everything he’s done and been through there, and even though he’s seriously injured and potentially about to die, he still can’t let go of his unthinking dislike of the place that he’s had since he first got there.

Following that line about Bruges is at least one more:

“And I really really hoped I wouldn’t die.”

He may even repeat it.

There’s something deeper going on than a dislike of Bruges…

Ok, fair enough, I mustn’t have heard that or remembered it. Well yeah, of course there’s plenty more going on in the film - the line was just funny.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.