In Defense of Cardinal George Pell

Extraordinarily strong language from Australian Indigenous leader Noel Pearson in defense of Cardinal George Pell.

The non-catholic Pearson rails against “journalistic vigilantism” and the demonization of Cardinal George Pell in the media through "…*the certitude of latter-day Robespierres” and the Red Terror of “unfashionability” *

Pearson was referring to the media’s ongoing slur campaign based on unsubstantiated allegations of sexual abuse from 40 years ago.

“The indigenous rights campaigner, lawyer and respected public advocate says what is happening to Cardinal Pell is “just not right”, and an abuse of process that threatens everyone”

Read more here.

theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/pell-publicity-an-abuse-of-process-warns-pearson/news-story/7e783218ecffd92fdd3aee1ab63374e1

Go home, Cardinal Pell…

Our enemies have been out to destroy Cardinal Pell at least since he was made Archbishop of Melbourne in 1996.
It’s more sickening to remember that a lot of his enemies are “within” (dissenting) the Church, and have been for decades.

i couldn’t get to that article, and have no intention of subscribing.

I agree completely.

I only want to add that it is very encouraging to have a prominent non-Catholic say this, and The Australian to report it.

The record of the Fairfax Media (The Age and Sydney Morning Herald) in persecuting Pell has been disgraceful.

Personally, I don’t agree with everything Pell has said and done over the years, but this glaring publicity given to unproven charges, illicitly leaked, is disgraceful.

He has fully co-operated with the police and he doesn’t have return to Australia until he is legally summoned. No-one else would be obliged to.

Apart from anything else, this is a petty and a waste of time. At the* very worst,* even if all charges are true, Pell is a minor “criminal” from 40 years ago. Australians are facing much more important issues and dangers in 2017.

A minor criminal? Two members of the abuse commission resigned. Actual survivors of abuse thought his assignment was sickening.

youtu.be/ajWT4BERoHc

Go home, Cardinal Pell.

StudentMI

• you mean “alleged” abuse.

Very encouraging indeed, and it says a lot about Noel Pearson’s integrity.

The record of the Fairfax Media (The Age and Sydney Morning Herald) in persecuting Pell has been disgraceful.

By the time The Sydney Morning Herald became a tabloid, it had already been one for decades. Apart from the Saturday edition, it was no longer even fit for covering homeless men on park benches.

Just had a thought:
Adding a “u” to 'Age" gives us “The Ague”. :smiley:

Apart from anything else, this is a petty and a waste of time. At the* very worst,* even if all charges are true, Pell is a minor “criminal” from 40 years ago. Australians are facing much more important issues and dangers in 2017.

It’s not petty to The Enemy. For him, nothing’s more important than destroying the Church!

Can we let justice system in Australia run its course before committing trial by CAF.

Let’s see, there are alleged incidents when Pell was at a pool.
There are alleged incidents in a choir.
The police interviewed Cardinal Pell , voluntarily, in Rome last year.
The next few weeks will be when the Police decide to lay charges or not.

A book has been published by Melbourne Uni that is committing to trial by media.

60 minutes isn’t exactly a non sensationalist tv show, now is it?

Edmundsun what crime has Cardinal Pell been convicted of from 40 ya?

Pray for Cardinal Pell.

I will certainly pray for our Cardinal Pell. I also feel that the police must fulfil their duty and either charge the Cardinal or not do so. If they do charge him, then the court will decide guilty or not guilty.
Until a jury finds him guilty, Cardinal Pell has the right to be considered innocent

Are you saying two members of the commission appointed by the Vatican were lying? The Vatican didn’t think so.

Democratic principle: Innocent until proven guilty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.