In Defense of Joseph Smith

If Joseph Smith was given to sedition and seduction, how long do you think his religious fold would have lasted? If he was given to false and vain practices as some like to spitefully accuse him of, would not his religious organization have been toppled years ago? Would it not have faded into oblivion?

Joseph Smith’s revelations established counsel to minister to the poor, to send the missionaries to the four corners of the earth, and to introduce the ordinances of the House of God (temples) to prepare individuals to walk back into the presence of our Heavenly Father. He also clarified and restored correct doctrine concerning the family. All of these teachings were emphasized by the Savior, as he directed righteous prophets and patriarchs in both the Old and New Testaments. All of these teachings are taken seriously by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Joseph Smith never said this was his Church or his work. The name of the Church should be noted reflectively as an individual considers who Joseph Smith purported to be and what he presented to the world.

Full article: ryancjenkins.com/joseph-smith-was-an-honest-and-virtuous-man/

What is your take on his defense of Joseph Smith?

Thanks.

Sorry for the double post.

…edited! :smiley:

Although I might just switch my references over to the Mormon debate now!

Joseph Smith founded Mormonism, not the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Ah, okay. Lol! Shows I am safely tucked away from danger then!

It was JWs I met still but we didn’t talk about the founder as we never got that deep into things.

So, in that case, I don’t have such a problem with those guys - Mormons. At least they don’t go around bugging people door to door quite so much.

Is it true they practically run Las Vegas?

P.S: now going to edit my embarrassingly misinformed post! :smiley:

Mormons also go door to door. It is Salt Lake City that they “practically run” - being that Mormon pilgrims founded the city in the first place.

Thank you!

Do Mormons deny the divinity of Christ and the reality of the Holy Trinity?

What would a Mormon say if I were to present this as an argument: Matthew 7:15, “Beware of false prophets who come disguised as sheep”, against going door to door; is this not considered aggressive behaviour?

If they run Salt Lake City then what would a Mormon answer to this: Matthew 6:24, “No one can be the slave of two masters.”?

I am not attacking any individuals here btw…

One might attack Joseph Smith for any number of reasons. But the real founder of majority Mormonism as it is today was really Brigham Young. That’s why there was a split in the Mormons a long time ago between those who at least purported to be the true followers of Joseph Smith and those who followed Brigham Young.

There is no substance in this man defense of Smith, he asserts that Smith was honest and virtuous, without giving any thing to substantiate the claim. Obviously Smith lied about having more than one wife even to his lawful wife so honesty is off the table. Taking into account his lying and “marrying” of dozens of women, some already married IMO it blows virtuous out of the water.

What I find objectionable in the article is this:

No man lives without fault. Do you think that even Jesus, if He were here, would be without fault in your eyes? His enemies said all manner of evil against Him—they all watched for iniquity in Him.”

Yesteryear and today people constantly “watch for iniquity” in Joseph Smith. Why can’t people leave Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith alone?

I find likening Smith to Christ unacceptable to say the least.

I take it then that you wouldn’t like this scripture, “Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it” (D&C 135:3).

But didn’t smith also say “He has done more for the church than Christ or His Apostles?”

He said that only he could keep a church together and not even Jesus Christ could do it.

What do you think of the quote from Joseph Smith claiming to be more successful than Jesus?

It’s already been discussed how God did not command the OT prophets to practice polygamy.

Just another Mormon distortion of the Bible

Wasn’t this quote referring to Joseph Smith’s death and comparing it to the death of Jesus?

Not scripture, and nope don’t like it.

It is informative that even before Joseph’s death, his church had begun to splinter.

The great tragedy is that Joseph Smith was killed before he had the opportunity to complete his egomaniacal self-destruction. Had Joseph lived another 5 years, all of his followers would have realized what William Law and so many of Joseph’s inner circle had realized - that Joseph Smith was a brilliant and charismatic narcissistic sociopath.

Joseph created a shadow church government (the council of fifty), formed the Danites to murder his enemies, made himself the General of a private army, had himself crowned king of the world, declared that as with Mohammed it would be “Joseph Smith or the sword”, and believed that he could be elected president of the United States. Had he lived just a few more years, all of his followers would either have been dead a al Jim Jones, or they would have abandoned him as a complete nut-job.

The only reason that any of the many Mormon factions exist today is that Joseph Smith did not have the opportunity to finish shaming himself and exposing himself for the greedy power-mad fraud that he was.

If only Joseph had lived another five years, we would not be having this conversation. There are no threads that debate whether or not Jim Jones or David Koresh were prophets of God.

Paul (formerly LDS, now happily Catholic)

It’s an ad hoc argument.

One could make the same argument regarding Arius. If Arius was a false teacher and given to sedition, how long do you think Arianism would have lasted? Well it’s still around so Arius must have been right. Right?

Islam must be true, going by his logic.

If you don’t like Joseph Smith’s claim, what do you think about John 14:12 (KJV)?

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Jesus clearly said that those who believe on Him will do greater works than Him.

So you believe that Joseph Smith did greater works than Jesus Christ??? :confused:
Do you also believe Jesus couldn’t do it as stated by Joseph Smith?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.