In Defense of Peter as Pope

It is hard to believe how many heretical theories exist in opposition to the Catholic Church!! Can someone give me a point by point response to this? Trying to build my Apologetic arsenal.

Thanks!

SEE BELOW

Ten Proofs Peter Was Not the “Pope" at Rome

Every Catholic is taught and believes that the apostle Peter was the first Roman bishop—the first “Pope”—and that he resided at Rome. If this were true, God’s Word would state it. But, in fact, the Bible directly confirms the opposite. History seems to attest, however, and it is quite possible, that Peter was crucified in Rome. This said, here are a series of ten proofs, with scriptural support, demonstrating that Peter never resided at Rome:

(1) Rome is in Italy. This means that Gentile Italians live there. The apostle Paul was ordained to be the apostle to the Gentiles, not Peter. Paul wrote this to the Gentile Romans: “That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable…” (15:16). He also described himself to the Galatians as having the gospel of the “uncircumcision”—the Gentiles—committed to him (2:7).

(2) The Emperor Claudius had banished all Jews from Rome in A.D. 50. Acts 8:1 describes the “great persecution against the Church” and that “they were all scattered abroad” as a result.

(3) Peter wrote his first general epistle from the city of “Babylon” (5:13). Many have assumed that this is Rome, when it is actually the Babylon of Mesopotamia. It is interesting to note that historians generally confuse—switch—scriptural references to Babylon by applying those that do apply to Rome as though they apply to Babylon, and vice-versa—in other words, those that do not apply to Rome are assigned Roman designation.

(4) Paul told the Romans, “Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man’s foundation” (15:20). Paul’s assertion would make no sense had Peter been resident at Rome, having established this congregation.

(5) Then, in light of the previous point, why would Paul offer the following salutation to the Roman congregation, also if Peter had been there for years?: “For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end that you may be established” (1:11). Think how insulting this expression would have been to “Pope Peter,” had he been in Rome.

(6) Paul concludes the Roman letter in chapter 16 with separate greetings to 30 different people in Rome—Mary, Andronicus, Junia—(these last two were probably apostles; Rom. 16:7)—Amplias, Urbane, Stachys, Apelles and 23 others—with no reference to the one who was supposedly the Pope, guiding the congregation and the entire New Testament Church from that city. No reasonable person could believe that Paul would so insult his own spiritual superior!

(7) Several other verses in Galatians demonstrate that Peter resided at Jerusalem. Notice what Paul stated about the first thing he did after spending three years in Arabia being taught by Christ: “Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter [about A.D. 38], and abode with him fifteen days” (1:18).

(8) Luke 22:24 states, “And there was a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.” Here is why this passage is important. This debate took place after Christ, in Matthew 16:17-19, had supposedly designated Peter as the one who would become the first Pope. While not directly involving Rome, this provides direct proof that Christ never conferred, at least from the other apostles’ perspective, the office of “Pope” to Peter.

(9) This point proves the other side of point 1. Already referenced, notice how Paul, who first describes himself, concludes his statement in Galatians 2:7, with this about Peter: “But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision [Gentiles] was committed unto me [Paul], as the gospel of the circumcision [Jews and the other tribes of Israel] was unto Peter…” (2:7).

(10) In II Timothy 4:11, Paul, commonly understood to be writing this epistle from Rome, states, “Only Luke is with me.” Further, in verse 10, he describes how one named Demas had “forsaken” him and gone back to the “world,” with Crescens and Titus having also transferred to other places of duty. None of this makes sense if the “Pope”—Peter—had been present.

(1)Peter had the dream about “What I make clean you shall not make unclean” and Paul also went to the syngoges. It was not an exclusive thing.
(2) And most of the apostles were myrtered (peter in Rome)
(3) Well the early church fathers saw it as Rome and they were a hell of a lot closer to Peter and paul timewise so the should know. See catholic.com/library/Peter_Roman_Residency.asp
(4) Peter might not have gotten there yet. He spent some time in Jeruslem as you have mentioned and some time in antioch.
(5)Peter might not have been there “For years” and Rome is a big place. another thing is Paul would leave a person in a place he was to keep orthodoxy so why wouldnt’ peter just go to those who didn’t know jesus yet where he could be a lot more usefull.
(6)check 5
(7) see 4
(8) Your assuming that the squable was afterwards and are depending of chapter number (in diffrent books) to help prove this. and that doesn’t work.
(9) also see my point 1
(10)So Luke and Paul were the only christians in Rome. Or it could possibly mean that Luke was his only companion at the time.

Please cheack out catholic.com/library/church_papacy.asp it deals with alot and the Early Church Fathers (who were closer to the originals so they proboly are a little more reliable than those who are 2005 years removed from the fact.)

Thanks for the help!! I will look at the two websites you posted. It seems that even the oldest of Church tradition is constantly challenged. This will help me defend our Faith.

Thanks.

[quote=davethecatholic]Thanks for the help!! I will look at the two websites you posted. It seems that even the oldest of Church tradition is constantly challenged. This will help me defend our Faith.

Thanks.
[/quote]

No problem, I myself ask so many questions I was just estatic I could at long last help someone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.