In doubt, need guidance

Hello

Whenever i have problems, or need help, I usually turn to Virgin Mary, holy mother of God, first. I pray for strength and guidance, but today suddenly some very scary doubt has clawed its way into my mind…

I was at mass, celebrating st. Joseph, and as the priest was preaching, i was imagining myself in Josephs position.

And for some reason i invisioned myself and my girlfriend getting pregnant after secretly having sex outside of marriage, and to get out of trouble, saying it was a miracle. Then to support the lie i would pretend to want a divorce, but then never go through with it.

Now that i write these stupid thoughts down im very concerned about how i could have such blasphemous and heretical thoughts against Our Lady and of the immaculate conception/virgin birth of our lord. The blessed mother holds such a huge role in my life, i just want these thoughts to go away. :mad:

If someone can defuse these thoughts with some referenses to scripture or historical timeline facts or just anything… i would be extremely grateful…

God bless you,
Peace

Thoughts are not sins unless you DELIBERATELY took pleasure in the thoughts of fornicating.

I would ask your guardian angel to help you stay focused at mass on God. Then I would not worry about this. It could be you or it could be the devil messing with you. Do not worry, I had a thought about my marriage and my fidelty to my wife relating to St.Joseph at todays mass, it was a good thought and possibly a grace.

Sounds about right.

If you already have a devotion to Our Lady, then speak to her about your troubles, and then pray the Rosary. You could also use the opportunity to offer up intentions for couples in difficulties.
:slight_smile:

Hi!

…I will start with this passage of Scriptures:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]12 Take care, brothers, that there is not in any one of your community a wicked mind, so unbelieving as to turn away from the living God. 13 Every day, as long as this ‘today’ lasts, keep encouraging one another so that none of you is hardened by the lure of sin, 14 because we shall remain co-heirs with Christ only if we keep a grasp on our first confidence right to the end.

(Hebrews 3:12-14)
We must be careful how we maintain our relationship with God since there is fear that, when worldly teachings take hold, we may become as these:

4 As for those people who were once brought into the light, and tasted the gift from heaven, and received a share of the Holy Spirit, 5 and appreciated the good message of God and the powers of the world to come 6 and yet in spite of this have fallen away – it is impossible for them to be renewed a second time. They cannot be repentant if they have wilfully crucified the Son of God and openly mocked him.

(Hebrews 6:4-6)
No once can convict anyone else of the Truth; the best that we can do is pray that the Holy Spirit can Guide you and enlighten you back into the Truth:

41 Now as soon as Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the child leapt in her womb and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 She gave a loud cry and said, ‘Of all women you are the most blessed, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. 43 Why should I be honoured with a visit from the mother of my Lord? 44 For the moment your greeting reached my ears, the child in my womb leapt for joy. 45 Yes, blessed is she who believed that the promise made her by the Lord would be fulfilled.’

(St. Luke 1:41-45)
…so you either don’t believe in God or you are saying that the Gospel Writers, the angel Gabriel, the Holy Spirit, Jesus, and the Father somehow colluded with an unchaste woman to take advantage of a 1st century purper (average joe with a job).

Consider the reason why the thought entered your mind–how close are you to the wedding date?

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.