In face of Zika virus, women ponder abortion, childlessness [FoxNews]

In face of Zika virus, women ponder abortion, childlessness

Maria Erlinda Guzman desperately wants a baby, and has been undergoing fertility treatments at El Salvador’s largest women’s hospital. But now, she fears her dream of motherhood may be dashed by Zika.

After her country took the extraordinary step of advising women to avoid pregnancies for two years due to concerns about the rapidly spreading virus, the 34-year-old now plans to start using contraception. She worries that she may be too old to conceive by the time it is considered safe to do so.

“I’m going to be left childless,” Guzman said.

While Zika’s exact link to the rare birth defect known as microcephaly is still unclear, warnings from El Salvador, at least six other countries and health officials across the Americas are raising anxiety for millions of would-be and could-be mothers in affected areas.

For some it’s a dilemma pitting religious beliefs about abortion against the risk that their babies could be born with abnormally small heads and a short life expectancy.

Read More At: foxnews.com/health/2016/01/29/in-face-zika-virus-women-ponder-abortion-childlessness.html

Deformed babies also suffering eye damage linked to Zika in Brazil
foxnews.com/health/2016/01/29/deformed-babies-also-suffering-eye-damage-linked-to-zika-in-brazil.html

My reply to a related thread:

First let me say generally that the attitude that we somehow need to allow women to use ABC to prevent pregnancy in these circumstances (not saying either of you are saying that - just addressing the point generally) seems to me to be defeatist. It seems to be come from an attitude of despair, which some would say is the only unforgivable sin. To try to articulate the position, if I may; "the culture is such that men use women at chattel, dominate women and frankly speaking, rape them to satisfy their baser urges without regard to the consequences of such conduct for the woman and any potential offspring. Accordingly, we must be practical and 1. allow women to protect themselves from these savages and 2. make accommodations to prevent the unplanned births of deformed children (horrors!!!).

I think, however, that this attitude neglects the primary mission of Church, which is to change culture, not accommodate it. It also neglects the call to hope that each of us must embrace as part of the Body of Christ.

Now, to the specific questions.

1. I have not been part of any discussions among clergy about what to do in these situations. However, I strongly suspect discussions are taking place. This virus is a relatively new dilemma but these circumstance are somewhat analogous to the AIDS issue that arose several years ago with respect to allowing women to use ABC to protect themselves from infection. I suspect (with no specific knowledge) that the Church’s response here is likely to be similar.

2. In terms of pastoral counsel, I believe it should not be limited to the woman, but should focus on the men in particular. Actions have consequences and to the extent a man is going to engage conduct, he should be counseled with respect to the consequences that flow from that conduct and the obligations that it gives rise to. Remember, the Church’s role is not primarily to relieve suffering but to change minds and hearts (culture).

3. With respect to “practical assistance” to care for these -as you put it “blessings”- I am sure the Church will continue to offer medical care to those who need it as well as caring for the day to day needs of those who cannot care for themselves, as it has throughout its history. But I think I detect a bit of snarkiness in your questions, and let me say that as Catholics we are unique in that we are able to find a place for suffering within our spirituality, and often suffering brings us closer to God. The idea that we should make accommodations, even up to the point of looking the way or going so far as condoning behavior that constitutes grave matter and jeopardizes the very souls of those that have been entrusted to us, in order to avoid earthly suffering is antithetical to Catholic teaching. However I would like to point out that the incidence of microcephaly among those women in countries with a high incidence of Zika infections, although certainly troubling, is certainly not on the level that we should consider stopping all pregnancies until it is controlled. It is roughly 5.5 cases per 100,000 births.
    ecdc.europa.eu/en/publication…assessment.pdf

Check that against the incidents of other types of birth defects in the United States: cdc.gov/ncbddd/birthdefects/data.html

Path_Finder In face of Zika virus, women ponder abortion, childlessness [FoxNews]

[quote]

Quote:
In face of Zika virus, women ponder abortion, childlessness

Maria Erlinda Guzman desperately wants a baby, and has been undergoing fertility treatments at El Salvador’s largest women’s hospital. But now, she fears her dream of motherhood may be dashed by Zika.

After her country took the extraordinary step of advising women to avoid pregnancies for two years due to concerns about the rapidly spreading virus, the 34-year-old now plans to start using contraception. She worries that she may be too old to conceive by the time it is considered safe to do so.

“I’m going to be left childless,” Guzman said.

While Zika’s exact link to the rare birth defect known as microcephaly is still unclear, warnings from El Salvador, at least six other countries and health officials across the Americas are raising anxiety for millions of would-be and could-be mothers in affected areas.

For some it’s a dilemma pitting religious beliefs about abortion against the risk that their babies could be born with abnormally small heads and a short life expectancy.

Read More At: foxnews.com/health/2016/0…dlessness.html

Quote:
Deformed babies also suffering eye damage linked to Zika in Brazil
foxnews.com/health/2016/0…in-brazil.html

[/quote]

No exaggeration the deformity of a child’s head by the condition associated with this “zika virus” is horrible with the brain and head shrunk to about a quarter of normal size
And with obviously extremely abnormal intelligence resulting.

Thank God Doctor Anthony Fauci has stated that almost all of the afflictions in the USA are due to folks having traveled to areas like Brazil or the Caribbean where they became infected and then returned without even realizing they had contracted the virus except that the infant of pregnant women with the zika virus can develop this terrible brain deformity.

Hail Mary full of Grace,
please protect all of our young mothers from passing this terrible condition to their unborn children;

But please research the condition so that it can be seen that there are limits to condemnation for abortion. :frowning:

rex

I know this is going to sound outrageous, but I didn’t realize that chastity outside of marriage was really to prepare for chastity within marriage. Specifically in this case, abstinence. Yes, I’m for real. I don’t really want to divulge much, but it’s possible to be abstinent within marriage for that long.

That said, my prayers for people down there in this tough situation. May doors of grace open for them.

Is this virus something new?

If not, what were its effects in prior outbreaks when the nations imposed no **ludicrous **attempts to restrain procreation?

I mean, no-one likes microcephaly, but if this virus existed before, there are no cohorts of small-headed children to attest to it.

There is no way of suppressing procreation without mass use of contraception. Methinks that is the unstated goal.

IMNAAHO and ICXC NIKA.

I wondered about this too. The quick blurb I saw about it said it has circulated before in other continents.

No, it is not new.

Zika started out in Uganda as long ago as 1947. In this instance, the BBC is probably as good as anyone to quote:

The mosquito,** Aedes aegypti**, is causing widespread fear in Brazil where it is spreading the Zika virus that has been linked to thousands of babies being born with birth defects.

It is this particular mosquito spreading this and maps show the mosquito is in the US per the same webpage linked above.

Anyway, that’s for starters, it hit “Micronesia” and despite Chile appearing to be relatively unscathed, it looks like it came in from the Pacific and went into the Amazon forest and Brazil.<---- An interesting trek seeing how the Andes form a bit of a wall in South America but I believe if one researches it, that is what they will find.

More from the BBC:

Eradication campaigns were successful in the Americas with 18 countries getting rid of the insect by 1962.

But insecticide resistance plus a lack of political will led to the mosquito rebounding.

I heard someone mention DDT which I guess is a dangerous substance, but perhaps DDT is what was able to eradicate this threat.

That somehow the virus is connected to a conspiracy to spread birth-control?

If an adult contracts the Zika virus; these may be the effects though the article indicates each person’s illness could vary, here is someone’s first person account:

Last October, I frequently hung around a large park at my college, the Universidade Federal do Estado do Rio de Janeiro. I didn’t think much of all the mosquitoes in the area — until I broke out in a rash that covered my entire body.

I was scared.

I told my dad, and soon found myself at a hospital, where they did multiple tests that confirmed I had contracted the Zika virus.

For the next week, I had severe muscle pain and a fever, two of the most common side effects of the infection caused by Aedes mosquito bites.

My whole body felt immobilized. I started having difficulty moving my hands — feeling like they were frozen. My eyes became irritated, too.

It was a terrible week. I couldn’t go out, exercise or do anything because the joint pain was so strong.

My pain was bad, but it was nothing compared to my father’s.

He was diagnosed a few days after me. His case was worse because it developed into a rare disease called Guillain-Barré syndrome, causing him to experience weakness in his legs and upper body.

He said he had pins-and-needles sensations in his fingers, toes, ankles and wrists for three months.

Cases like my dad’s worry me the most, as Zika has a different effect on each person. Some people might develop a rare syndrome like he did.

There are some things we can do to prevent the Zika virus from spreading — wear bug spray, cover exposed skin, close domestic water tanks to prevent mosquitoes from getting in and dispose of garbage in a timely fashion.

nypost.com/2016/01/28/first-person-account-of-being-stricken-with-the-zika-virus/

So, as terrible as that sounds, I’m not sure if it is killing adults at this time.

At least speaking from the perspective from the Caribbean/Central America.
The government and health sector are responding in such extreme cases because they do not want a repeat of what happened in the wake of the Chik-V virus. In a few countries (mine included), there was no preparation and the health sector was overwhelmed. The issue is that by the time they responded it was too late.

These warnings are not to encourage the mass use of contraception, at least in the majority of the Caribbean where contraception [bc pills and condoms] are relatively inexpensive and readily available over the counter. I think they are covering themselves in case it gets really bad.

I think the inevitable question then is what happens when birth control fails? Hypothetically , it seems that if the threat is so grave and they are calling for such extreme measures, I should be abstinent, period. It’s not an honorable gamble to make, that for the sake of my pleasure I potentially put someone else’s life at stake. I say all this knowing people won’t be abstinent. (Personally, I can think of greater sacrifices to make.) Like SMOM said; in the meantime the Church there will play the cards she is dealt and try to help people.

So I understand you correctly, you don’t think the threat is as great as is reported?

I am not sure if the threat is great as reported but I, along with other people are preparing for the worst. I am NOT underestimating the impact. Zika has NOT reached where I am, but the health sector is on high alert and the training agencies are doing their best to educate the public. We also have elections coming up soon so the govt. does not want to be caught off guard…people are watching how they handle this situation.

The problem is that no one knows what to expect and after the Chik-V debacle no one is taking anything for granted. I have friends and family who are already pregnant and may still be in the first trimester when it hits. These people are just being extra cautious and hoping for the best. We are all hoping that the threat is not as great as reported.

I imagine the virus hit US soil sometime **before **we were apprised of its being in C.A. After all, it’s not that far.

DDT is likely to at least contain the disease, but we can’t inconvenience the birds, can we??? Telling people to use contraception is so much better. Just ask Mother Gaia.

And when that encouragement fails, as it must, then blame those faith-based entities who oppose contraception. It’s coming.

ICXC NIKA

" To date, local transmission of Zika virus has not been identified in the continental United States. Limited local transmission may occur in the mainland United States but it’s unlikely that we will see widespread transmission of Zika in the mainland U.S."
http://www.cdc.gov/zika/disease-qa.html

We may be premature on the disease spreading here. In America, most people who are sick stay in bed and are not so prone to getting bitten. I guess with spring we see if there is transmission in the United States.

I live in part of the country where this mosquito can be found. They are not very common. The diseases they carry are always a threat. I do not know if this is common in the rest of the country, but we have a taxing entity just to control mosquitos. It owns one plane and several spraying trucks.

Human Life International Warns About Exploitation of Zika Fears

Only hours after the president of Human Life International (HLI) warned that population-control advocates might exploit an emerging health crisis in Latin America, National Public Radio in the United States ran an interview with one such activist, who called for greater access to abortion and “massive campaigns” to inform men and women about the access to and use of contraceptives.

“One expects the call to avoid pregnancy to be exploited by population-control advocates who are always telling poor women and families to avoid pregnancy, most likely with renewed fundraising campaigns and antinatalist propaganda,” said Father Shenan J. Boquet.

The HLI president was responding to a request for comment from Aleteia on El Salvador’s recommendation that women avoid getting pregnant for two years because some suspect a link between the Zika virus and a birth defect.

Zika Outbreak Epicenter In Same Area Where GM Mosquitoes Were Released In 2015

Zika seemingly exploded out of nowhere. Though it was first discovered in 1947, cases only sporadically occurred throughout Africa and southern Asia. In 2007, the first case was reported in the Pacific. In 2013, a smattering of small outbreaks and individual cases were officially documented in Africa and the western Pacific. They also began showing up in the Americas. In May 2015, Brazil reported its first case of Zika virus — and the situation changed dramatically.

Brazil is now considered the epicenter of the Zika outbreak, which coincides with at least 4,000 reports of babies born with microcephaly just since October.

Oxitec first unveiled its large-scale, genetically-modified mosquito farm in Brazil in July 2012, with the goal of reducing “the incidence of dengue fever,” as The Disease Daily reported. Dengue fever is spread by the same Aedes mosquitoes which spread the Zika virus — and though they “cannot fly more than 400 meters,” WHO stated, “it may inadvertently be transported by humans from one place to another.” By July 2015, shortly after the GM mosquitoes were first released into the wild in Juazeiro, Brazil, Oxitec proudly announced they had “successfully controlled the Aedes aegypti mosquito that spreads dengue fever, chikungunya and zika virus, by reducing the target population by more than 90%.”

Though that might sound like an astounding success — and, arguably, it was — there is an alarming possibility to consider.

I will pray for you and your family and friends.

ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/8C55/production/_87952953_zika_virus_spread_624.png

I’m just going to post the link to a map where you can see how it is spread since unnecessary graphics are not needed in the forums but you can see its alleged migration.

We just had our first confirmed case. It was a 4 y o girl.:frowning: They say the family had travelled to Texas.
My sister and her family live in the same city as this family, so they are being extra careful.

My best friend is a Baptist. She and her pastor, elders and most of the folks at her parish believe that this virus is manmade and was released into the world again to control world population by scaring women in poorer countries into having abortions and using ABC.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.