In first video message, Pope Francis stresses unity: 'We are all children of God' [CNA]

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Interfaith_leaders_hold_objects_expressing_their_belief_in_Pope_Francis_video_message_on_prayer_for_interreligious_dialogue_Credit_Apostleship_of_Prayer_Screenshot_CNA.jpgVatican City, Jan 7, 2016 / 04:40 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The Pope’s first-ever video message on his monthly prayer intentions was released Tuesday, highlighting the importance of interreligious dialogue and the beliefs different faith traditions hold in common, such as the figure of God and love.

“Many think differently, feel differently, seeking God or meeting God in different ways. In this crowd, in this range of religions, there is only one certainty that we have for all: we are all children of God,” Pope Francis said in his message, released Jan. 6, the feast of the Epiphany.

At the beginning of the video, a minute-and-a-half long, the Pope cites the fact that the majority of the earth’s inhabitants profess some sort of religious belief.

This, he said, “should lead to a dialogue among religions. We should not stop praying for it and collaborating with those who think differently.”

The video goes on to feature representatives of Buddhism, Christianity, Islam and Judaism, who proclaim their respective beliefs in God, Jesus Christ, Allah and Buddha.

Later on, after the Pope affirms that all, regardless of their religious profession, are children of God, the faith leaders state their common belief in love.

Pope Francis closes the video by expressing his hope that viewers “will spread my prayer request this month: that sincere dialogue among men and women of different faiths may produce fruits of peace and justice. I have confidence in your prayers.”

An initiative of the Jesuit-run global prayer network Apostleship of Prayer, the video was filmed in collaboration with the Vatican Television Center (CTV) and marks the first time the Pope’s monthly prayer intentions have been featured on video.

The Apostleship of Prayer was founded by Jesuit seminarians in France in 1884 to encourage Christians to serve God and others through prayer, particularly for the needs of the Church. Since the late 1800s the organization has also received a monthly intention from the Pope. In 1929 an additional, missionary intention was added by the Holy Father, aimed at the faithful in particular.

Referred to on the organizations’ website as the Pope’s “universal” and “evangelization” intentions, this month’s prayer requests focus on Francis’ desire for Interreligious Dialogue and Christian Unity.

Francis offers his universal petition so that “sincere dialogue among men and women of different faiths may produce the fruits of peace and justice,” and expresses his evangelistic prayer that “by means of dialogue and fraternal charity and with the grace of the Holy Spirit, Christians may overcome divisions.”

The Apostleship of Prayer has called the new videos on the intentions “The Pope Video.” While there are two intentions, the videos are centered on the first, universal intention.

This month’s video also features old friends of the pontiff from his time in Buenos Aires. Namely, Rabbi Daniel Goldman, Fr. Guillermo Marco, a Catholic priest, and Islamic leader Omar Abboud.

Released on various social media sites such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, the video shows Pope Francis speaking in his native Spanish, with subtitles available in a total of 10 different languages.

Papal prayer intentions for the rest of the year are listed on the organization’s website, displaying themes close to Francis’ heart, such as prayers for creation, families in difficulty, small farmers, indigenous peoples, countries receiving refugees, an end to child-soldiers, solidarity and respect for women.

Full article…

0 Likes

I will have to check into the details of this (specifically, whether or not he really said this), but I am bound by the First Commandment, given by God, to correct the error being portrayed here.

We are not all children of God.

Who are the children of God?

John 3:5
…4Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6"That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.…

John 1:12
He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. 12But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

Those who believed and were baptized became children of God. Whoever does not believe in the Son of God and is not baptized is not a child of God, but instead is still captive to the “god of this world.”

2 Corinthians 4:4
3And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake.…

This is official Church teaching and it comes from the Holy Spirit - God Himself, the Almighty. The one we are ALL accountable to on the Day of Judgment. You must be born again of water and spirit. It would be uncharitable to say anything contrary, as it could put souls in danger of eternal fire. That is the height of being uncharitable.

Why are there press releases saying Pope Francis is saying something like this? Pope Francis is surely aware that we are not all children of God.

Our Lord made it clear that there are children of the Devil.

John 8:44
…43"Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. 44"You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45"But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me.…

Ephesians 2:2
1And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, 2in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. 3Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.…

(For clarity, Satan is referred to as “the ruler of this world,” the “god of this world,” and the “prince of the power of the air.” He is the “father of lies.” So if someone tells you that Jesus is not the Son of God - they believe a lie from the Devil, literally, and are telling you that lie.)

This is the Truth. Anyone who suppresses this truth at this time will break the First Commandment.

From the Catechism on the First Commandment (pay attention to 2088)
Faith

2087 Our moral life has its source in faith in God who reveals his love to us. St. Paul speaks of the "obedience of faith"9 as our first obligation. He shows that “ignorance of God” is the principle and explanation of all moral deviations.10 Our duty toward God is to believe in him and to bear witness to him.

2088** The first commandment requires us to nourish and protect our faith with prudence and vigilance, and to reject everything that is opposed to it. There are various ways of sinning against faith**:

Voluntary doubt about the faith disregards or refuses to hold as true what God has revealed and the Church proposes for belief. Involuntary doubt refers to hesitation in believing, difficulty in overcoming objections connected with the faith, or also anxiety aroused by its obscurity. If deliberately cultivated doubt can lead to spiritual blindness.

2089 Incredulity is the neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to assent to it. "Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him."11

0 Likes

I agree with you! While reading, I was thinking of the same Scripture verses that you wrote down. You saved me from writing them here! Thanks.

It does disturb me when people think we are all God’s children. We are made in His image and likeness, but that does not make us all His children. We are not.

0 Likes

I believe that I will follow the words of the Holy Father as he has the ultimate authority to teach the faithful.

0 Likes

I haven’t watched the video or looked into this yet so I don’t know if the Pope really said that. I hope he didn’t, and give him the benefit of the doubt until I see proof. You never know who might be around him trying to confuse him and twist up his words (I mean, other than fallen angels, of course). I struggle against rash judgment like all others with a fallen nature do, so I have to be careful of my thoughts and words.

This lie is a lie that I heard growing up. Along with “God helps those who help themselves” instead of the truth “God helps those who will cooperate with His grace and humble themselves.”

When I found out the truth about God’s revelation to mankind, I was shocked to see that it was almost all the complete opposite of the stuff I had been hearing my whole life. It seemed as if everything the world had told me about God was nothing but lies. The revelation that the father of lies, Satan, is the ruler of this world puts this in the proper perspective. Satan does want every human in Hell.

0 Likes

Only when speaking ex cathedra. He was not speaking ex cathedra (from the chair of St. Peter), and therefore the Holy Spirit is not necessarily protecting him from error in what they report him to have said (and I don’t even know if it is true because I still didn’t look into it). If he actually said that all are children of God, he said something contrary to what God said (that means it is false). It happens to all of us. But we have to resist error and to refuse to do so is to break the First Commandment (provided you have knowledge of the truth). If you break the First Commandment with full knowledge and deliberate consent, you commit a mortal sin and your soul is in danger of eternal fire.

If he is not speaking ex cathedra, and he wasn’t, Scripture and Sacred Tradition have a MUCH greater authority than he does. Scripture and Sacred Tradition come from God Himself. If the Pope says something contrary to the Holy Spirit, he is simply wrong. Popes have been wrong before.

0 Likes

Have you considered that his insights into scripture and Tradition may be a bit more astute than your own?

0 Likes

Read my first post.

If his insight into Scripture is that all are children of God and no one is a child of the Devil, he is simply wrong.

Re-read my first post in this thread.

John 8:44
"Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. 44"You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45"But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me.…

If he is saying an unbaptized person who believes Jesus is not the Son of God is a child of God, he is wrong.

John 1:12
11He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. 12But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

When we are baptized, we are born again and become children of God (by adoption).
That is the official teaching of the Church that God (the one who decides if we go to Heaven or Hell when we die, and that decision is never-changing) established and protects from error in regards to Doctrine and Dogma.

Before we believe and are baptized, we are not children of God.

Mark 16:16
And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16"He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

It should also be mentioned that belief and baptism saved us, but mortal sin can cause us to lose that salvation.

From the Catechism on baptism:
1213 Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua),4 and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."5

I. WHAT IS THIS SACRAMENT CALLED?

1214 This sacrament is called Baptism, after the central rite by which it is carried out: to baptize (Greek baptizein) means to “plunge” or “immerse”; the “plunge” into the water symbolizes the catechumen’s burial into Christ’s death, from which he rises up by resurrection with him, as "a new creature."6

1215 This sacrament is also called “the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit,” for it signifies and actually brings about the birth of water and the Spirit without which no one "can enter the kingdom of God."7

1216 "This bath is called enlightenment, because those who receive this [catechetical] instruction are enlightened in their understanding . . . ."8 Having received in Baptism the Word, “the true light that enlightens every man,” the person baptized has been “enlightened,” he becomes a “son of light,” indeed, he becomes “light” himself:9

Baptism is God's most beautiful and magnificent gift. . . .We call it gift, grace, anointing, enlightenment, garment of immortality, bath of rebirth, seal, and most precious gift. It is called gift because it is conferred on those who bring nothing of their own; grace since it is given even to the guilty; Baptism because sin is buried in the water; anointing for it is priestly and royal as are those who are anointed; enlightenment because it radiates light; clothing since it veils our shame; bath because it washes; and seal as it is our guard and the sign of God's Lordship.10
0 Likes

I would also like to add this:

Galatians 3:26-27
So*** in Christ Jesus you are all children of God ***through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Without faith in Jesus, you are not a child of God.

0 Likes

Being the children of God can be taken in a couple senses. The narrower sense is the supernatural adoption we receive at baptism.The broader sense is that we are all creatures–usually “offspring” rather than “children” is used. This sense was used by St. Paul when speaking to the pagans in Athens:

Acts 17:22 So Paul, standing in the middle of the Are-opagus, said: "Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I passed along, and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, ‘To an unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. 24* The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man, 25 nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all men life and breath and everything. 26 And he made from one every nation of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their habitation, 27 that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel after him and find him. Yet he is not far from each one of us, 28* for ‘In him we live and move and have our being’; as even some of your poets have said, ‘For we are indeed his offspring.’ 29 Being then God’s offspring, we ought not to think that the Deity is like gold, or silver, or stone, a representation by the art and imagination of man.

That being said, this video seems problematic to me in other ways. The imagery lends heavily to religious indifferentism.The actual published text is pretty banal and unobectionable (“That sincere dialogue among men and women of different faiths may produce the fruits of peace and justice.”), but the video gives too much credence to the idea that it’s impossible to discover the truth or attain to the certainty of faith in Jesus Christ, so we should all just try to love (forgetting the fact that each of those religions may have a different conception of what true love is).

0 Likes

It could possibly be taken in that sense, but as far as CHILDREN goes - someone can not be a child of Satan and a child of God. There are people who are children of Satan. That is a known fact because the Son of God called people children of Satan. In fact, some people even worship Satan knowingly (although the Lord our God was not referring to them when He called certain people children of Satan). Are they also children of God? No, they are children of Satan. Is a Buddhist who tells me that Jesus is not God’s Son also a child of God? Should I ever refer to them as a “child of God?” Of course not.

Can you find an example of any time that the Holy Spirit, in Scripture or Sacred Tradition, ever referred to anyone other than the Faithful (the baptized believers who are members of Christ’s Body) as “children of God?”

“Children of God” are adopted brothers of Christ and co-heirs to the Kingdom of God (if we suffer with Him, as Scripture says). If we call someone a child of God who is not an adopted brother of Christ and co- heir to the Kingdom of God, we are in error as far as I can see. And the error does not appear to be a small error of no consequence. It appears to be eternally significant.

Edit:
By the way, girls, “sons and brothers” refers to you too. Insert “daughters and sisters” if it helps you to understand who you really are (your true identity as a daughter of God and sister of Christ). Although, in the Book of Job, the girl angels were referred to as “sons of God,” and some angels are “female” in the sense that they appear feminine (although they do not have physical bodies).
Job 38:7
"On what were its bases sunk? Or who laid its cornerstone, 7When the morning stars sang together And all the sons of God shouted for joy? 8"Or who enclosed the sea with doors When, bursting forth, it went out from the womb;…

The “sons of God” in this passage were the angels who saw the Earth being made, and yes there are girl angels.

0 Likes

Well stated. Thank you.

0 Likes

You beat me to it, and said it better than I would have.

:thumbsup:

0 Likes

What the whole world needs right now is for the religions of the world to focus on their shared humanity. Thousands are being killed each day in the name of God and religion. God Almighty created each and everyone of us, and that alone makes us His children. However, people of faith are more closely united because we are trying to discern and do God’s Will on earth. Does God want us killing each other in His name? I don’t think so, and I will call anyone who shares that one belief my brother or sister.

0 Likes

Its a beautiful message and video.
There is so much in Pope Francis that radiates God’s love.

0 Likes

:thumbsup: Pope Francis

Jim

0 Likes

Pope Francis closes the video by expressing his hope that viewers “will spread my prayer request this month: that sincere dialogue among men and women of different faiths may produce fruits of peace and justice. I have confidence in your prayers.”

Lets get the word out folks :cool:

0 Likes

That being said, this video seems problematic to me in other ways. The imagery lends heavily to religious indifferentism.The actual published text is pretty banal and unobectionable (“That sincere dialogue among men and women of different faiths may produce the fruits of peace and justice.”), but the video gives too much credence to the idea that it’s impossible to discover the truth or attain to the certainty of faith in Jesus Christ, so we should all just try to love (forgetting the fact that each of those religions may have a different conception of what true love is).
[/quote]

I agree. Stating that we are all children of God muddies the water a bit and could cause confusion. The imagery, especially at the end, could imply syncretism or indifferentism. Christianity appears to be just one opinion among many.

0 Likes

Here is Father Grondin today.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=994424

0 Likes

It’s truly heartbreaking to see a beautiful image of the Infant Jesus being held next to symbols of false religions.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.