In full: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's 'alternative' Christmas message

Full text of Iranian President’s Christmas message to be broadcast on Channel 4

Today, the general will of nations is calling for fundamental change. This is now taking place. Demands for change, demands for transformation, demands for a return to human values are fast becoming the foremost demands of the nations of the world. The response to these demands must be real and true. The prerequisite to this change is a change in goals, intentions and directions. If tyrannical goals are repackaged in an attractive and deceptive package and imposed on nations again, the people, awakened, will stand up against them.

Fortunately, today, as crises and despair multiply, a wave of hope is gathering momentum. Hope for a brighter future and hope for the establishment of justice, hope for real peace, hope for finding virtuous and pious rulers who love the people and want to serve them – and this is what the Almighty has promised.

We believe, Jesus Christ will return, together with one of the children of the revered Messenger of Islam and will lead the world to love, brotherhood and justice. The responsibility of all followers of Christ and Abrahamic faiths is to prepare the way for the fulfilment of this divine promise and the arrival of that joyful, shining and wonderful age. I hope that the collective will of nations will unite in the not too distant future and with the grace of the Almighty Lord, that shining age will come to rule the earth.

timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5394734.ece

What do you make of this?

The Iranian president is airing a Christmas message tomorrow on British tv that intends to say if Jesus were here today he would stand by people such as him. And this is the same person who wants to wipe Israel off the map? Come on, let’s get real. Jesus would tell him to get in the confession line and do about fifty days worth of penance. I can’t believe any country would dignify this man with air time on their tv stations, outside of Muslim countries, that is.

You might be surprised about what people would be allowed to speak by some. One university in the U.S. invited him to speak. :rolleyes:

The “one of the children of the revered Messenger of Islam” he refers to is the 12th Imam. The story of the 12th Imam is here:

npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5438641

The Hidden Imam, as he is also known by his followers, will only return after a period of cosmic chaos, war and bloodshed – what Christians call the Apocalypse – and then lead the world into an era of universal peace. (ruled by Islam)

telegraph.co.uk/comment/3642984/Will-the-12th-Imam-cause-war-with-Iran.html

I hope that the collective will of nations will unite in the not too distant future and with the grace of the Almighty Lord, that shining age will come to rule the earth.

The nerve of this guy indeed!!! How dare he say such blasphemy on Christmas Eve!!

According to the Hadith the criteria for the Hidden Imam are:
[LIST]
*]He will be a descendant of Muhammad and the son of Fatima
*]Will have a broad forehead and pointed nose
*]Will return just before the end of the world
*]His appearance will be preceded by a number of prophetic events during 3 years of horrendous world chaos, tyranny and oppression
*]Will escape from Madina to Mekkah, thousands will pledge allegiance to him
*]Will rule over the Arabs and the world for 7 years
*]Will eradicate all tyranny and oppression bringing harmony and total peace
*]Will lead a prayer in Mekkah which Jesus will be at his side and follow in[/LIST]allaboutpopularissues.org/12th-imam.htm

Example A of why context matters. :shrug:

Well Jennifer, maybe, maybe not.

His message expresses in its own way the same common hope of both our faiths… the coming age in which Gd/Allah establishes his great reign of peace on the earth. I think we are all going to be a bit surprised at how this comes about if we are, indeed granted the opportunity to be here for it. Some of us will obviously be more surprised then others.

I would hope that on this the celebrated birthday of he whose sacrifice reconciles us all to the one true Gd we might at least be able to recognise and celebrate even with the Muslim this one common hope.

Merry Christmas

If Christ were on Earth today, undoubtedly He would stand with the people in opposition to bullying, ill-tempered and expansionist powers.

If Christ were on Earth today, undoubtedly He would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over.

If Christ were on Earth today, undoubtedly He would fight against the tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems, as He did in His lifetime

Aimed at the US and Bush.

Fortunately, today, as crises and despair multiply, a wave of hope is gathering momentum. Hope for a brighter future and hope for the establishment of justice, hope for real peace, hope for finding virtuous and pious rulers who love the people and want to serve them – and this is what the Almighty has promised.

Today, the general will of nations is calling for fundamental change. This is now taking place. Demands for change, demands for transformation, demands for a return to human values are fast becoming the foremost demands of the nations of the world.

His support for Obama. (and homosexuals :wink: )

The response to these demands must be real and true. The prerequisite to this change is a change in goals, intentions and directions. If tyrannical goals are repackaged in an attractive and deceptive package and imposed on nations again, the people, awakened, will stand up against them.

His warning to Obama.

I see this soley, as speaking to the US and possibly Britian.

When looking at his message at face value, parts of it reign true and could be applied to everyday life. Such as, fighting against tyranny, and changing the fundamental values that people hold dear that are dangerous.

However, when coming from him, such a message seems hypocritical. This is the same man who calls forth the destruction of an entire race of peoples, and an entire nation.

I can’t take him seriously. Also, I don’t want to be ruled by Muslims.

I see nothing wrong with what he said. I also think it’s a good idea for the West to understand Muslim beliefs about Jesus.

Do you know the manner in which Muslims like Ahmadinejad believe God will return?

As I said Jennifer…

…I think we are all going to be a bit surprised at how this comes about if we are, indeed, granted the opportunity to be here for it. Some of us will obviously be more surprised then others.

Our faith traditions of the manner in how Gd returns are far less important than in simply celebrating the fact that we all look forward to it.

That we all hope in the return of Gd to this world and the establishment of His kingdom of peace is a commonality. It’s a bridge that we can build on. It’s a ray of hope. I say (as Israel is currently bombing the crud out of Christians and Muslims alike in the Gaza) - try to forget old wounds (or at least set them aside for a moment) and focus only on that… we all long for Gd’s kingdom of peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.