"In her lies the true center..."

…Mary mirrors the Church, anticipates the Church in her person, and in all the turbulence that affects the suffering, struggling Church she always remains the Star of salvation. In her lies the true center in which we trust, even if its peripheries very often weigh on our soul…

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

The above quote from Pope Benedict, from a homily in 2005, has remained in my mind and heart. Jesus lives in Mary as He desires to live in all of the members of His Body, the Church. We are called to trust in Him as Mary did on this earth, "even if " the peripheries around the center very often weigh on our soul. What are these peripheries, I wonder, if not our sins, and imperfections and those of others which weigh on our soul?

The quote reminded me of this icon of Our Lady and the prayer:

O Jesus, Living in Mary

O Jesus, living in Mary,
come and live in thy servants,
in the spirit of thy holiness,
in the fullness of thy might,
in the truth of thy virtues,
in the perfection of thy ways,
in the communion of thy mysteries.
Subdue every hostile power
in thy spirit,
for the glory of the Father.
Amen.

I have a lot weighing on my soul. :frowning: Finding my way to Catholicism and navigating a new path has been very painful. The weary pain of many sins. I can’t pray without crying so far. Being a man and crumbling under the weight of the guilt of those sins has been soul wrenching. I have come to LOVE the Blessed Mother. For now, I hide behind her, ashamed to face Jesus yet. Loving her is helping me along my way. Thank you for posting that.

My friend, I think that it is beautiful that you have such contrition for your since, but the most wonderful thing about Christianity is that we have the FORGIVENESS of sins in Christ’s name. Trust in His divine mercy and redeeming sacrifice that was offered on Calvary’s hill. And His most holy mother is our greatest prayer warrior so seek her prayers as you seem to be doing. I encourage you in your journey which I am sure will be somewhat difficult coming from an Islamic background. God bless.

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fount of mercy for us, I trust in you!

All my life I’ve envisioned God as being some devious character with a hidden agenda designed to make me suffer and ready to punish me at the slightest slip. I don’t know where this originated or how to dump it but I wish with all my heart that I could. I’ve also had trouble trusting people and I don’t know why. Except there have been some people in my life who have said “trust me” and then didn’t give me a reason to do so. I come to Catholicism from an Evangelical “Word of Faith” background (you know, Osteen, Copeland, Capps, Hagin, et al). :shrug:

Dear Small Fish ( I really like your username!),

We all need to take up our cross daily, my dear small fish brother. The fish was and still is a symbol of Christ and we are called to be Christians, “followers of Christ” (little Christs, and little fish, if you will). Jesus fell three times under the weight of His Cross. He carried our sins and continued to love us to the end. By His death on the Cross, He has won victory for us, and so we can die with Him and rise anew with Him in every Mass.

To weep over sins can be a great grace, for we need to repent. We need also to believe and trust and love Him Who assures us that He will not despise a contrite and humble heart. Mary is His Gift to us from Calvary. When He told John, “Behold your Mother” Jesus spoke to each of us, and we must learn to do as John did, that is, to take her into our own lives and learn from her as she learned from Jesus.

Mary will always take you closer to Jesus. She will help you to grow in faith, hope and love even as she grew in her life here on earth. She is our Mother and Model. Take courage dear “small fish” brother – you are loved!

Dear Lego,

If you read the Gospels, especially John and Luke, you will find Jesus sharing His great Love for the Father and inviting us to share that Love. You will also find Mary’s humble and beautiful words of faith, hope and charity expressed not only in words but in her silent standing at the cross. Jesus and Mary can be trusted. :slight_smile:

The Prayer “O Jesus Living in Mary” which I posted with the icon can help us enter into the Great Love of God which He wants to give us and to let this Light of His Love shine out from us on others. By God’s Grace, we overcome evil by doing good. It seems to me that whenever I am tempted by thoughts I know are not true, I pray “Jesus, I trust in You” and “Mary, my Mother, I am all yours. Keep me; guard me!”

Some people are simply not trustworthy. The First letter of John warns us: (1John 4:1) Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are of God; for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Praying the Rosary is another way to ponder the mysteries of Jesus and Mary’s lives. As Pope Benedict rightly said, “…in all the turbulence that affects the suffering, struggling Church she always remains the Star of salvation. In her lies the true center in which we trust…”.

Thanks much for your reply. Let us stay close to Mary, confident that she will bring us closer to Her Son. Through Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit, we return home to a Loving Father! God is Love – we have His Word on that! (1 John 4:8)

I have been praying the Rosary and the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy daily and through reading a book titled “Rediscovering Catholicism” by Matthew Kelly I have been repeatedly reading through the Gospels and Acts over the past year to try and get to know Jesus better. At first, after a couple read through’s I came to the conclusion that Jesus had to be a “nut bag” with some of the things he said about himself! But then a quote from the author of “Mere Christianity” came to mind to the effect that Jesus was either exactly who he claimed to be or he was insane! In a recent episode of “The Vortex” Michael Voris made mention that the entirety of Western Civilization was built on the life and teachings of Jesus. It would be a tragedy beyond belief if all this was built on a myth or the rantings of a lunatic.

Dear Lego,

God is truly Mystery and yet He desires us to know, love and serve Him for He created us for Love. Jesus, God the Son, became flesh to bring the human family back, through the Holy Spirit, into a loving relationship with Our Father, after the sin of Adam and Eve. You might want to add to your bookshelf, the excellent commentaries on Holy Scripture: The Navarre Bible Series. For more info on this series, see HERE

Your struggles to know Jesus better are worth every effort. May you continue, by His Grace to know His Love. Though His Love surpasses understanding, yet we can “see” by faith His Love in the outpouring of Himself on the Cross for us. Mary at the foot of the cross is our Mother and Model of response to Him. Please let us continue to pray for one another and for all those in most need of His Mercy. I remembered you especially as I prayed my Novena to Our Lady of Good Counsel this morning:

Holy Virgin, moved by the painful uncertainty we experience in seeking and acquiring the true and the good, we cast ourselves at thy feet and invoke thee under the sweet title of Mother of Good Counsel. We beseech thee: come to our aid at this moment in our worldly sojourn when the twin darknesses of error and of evil that plots our ruin by leading minds and hearts astray.

Seat of Wisdom and Star of the Sea, enlighten the victims of doubt and of error so that they may not be seduced by evil masquerading as good; strengthen them against the hostile and corrupting forces of passion and of sin.

Mother of Good Counsel, obtain for us from thy Divine Son the love of virtue and the strength to choose, in doubtful and difficult situations, the course agreeable to our salvation. Supported by thy hand we shall thus journey without harm along the paths taught us by the word and example of Jesus our Savior, following the Sun of Truth and Justice in freedom and safety across the battlefield of life under the guidance of thy maternal Star, until we come at length to the harbor of salvation to enjoy with thee unalloyed and everlasting peace. Amen.

(By Pope Pius XII, 23 January 1953)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.