In Jesus Name?

Could some learned scholar please tell me when ending prayers with “In Jesus Name” began and who began it?
Is this only a Protestant or Evangelical doctrine?
What was typically said before Amen in the olden times?
Thanks
WP

I think at least some prayers would have been ended with ‘in Jesus’ name’ right from the very beginning of the Church. Including some of the prayers of Mass or Divine Liturgy. After all, it’s straight from the Bible - ‘whatsoever you ask of the Father in my name he will grant you’ (can’t be bothered looking up the reference :o )

I think the next most common ending for a prayer among Catholics, including again prayers of the Mass or Divine Liturgy, would be some formula invoking the Trinity - ‘we ask this in the name of Christ your Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever, Amen’ or something in much the same words.

The name of Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit. Currently, there are several students at my old high school who preach that baptism should be done in the name of Jesus and not the Triune formula that we use. The name of Jesus that we understand is refering to the Trinity, at least that is to my understanding.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.