In Lahore, pregnant Pakistani woman stoned to death

In Lahore, pregnant Pakistani woman stoned to death

LAHORE: In an apparent ‘honour killing’, a 25-year-old pregnant woman was brutally beaten and stoned to death on Tuesday outside the high court here by her father and brothers for marrying the man of her choice.

Police said Farzana Parveen, resident of Faisalabad, had married Mohammad Iqbal of Jaranwala a few months ago against the wishes of her family.

The incident happened as the couple reached the court premises to record Farzana’s statement to defend her husband against allegations by her family that he kidnapped her and forced her to marry him.

more to the article here:

timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/Pakistan/In-Lahore-pregnant-Pakistani-woman-stoned-to-death/articleshow/35636065.cms

Very sad…!!!

This is just barbaric, how evil! I will pray for the repose of this woman’s soul.

God willing the people who did this repent.

God forgive them.

Barbarism was exactly the word that came to mind.

God rest her and her baby’s soul.

Praying for the repose of this woman’s soul.

Her own family did it?? So it is an honor killing? I’m not sure if I have all this correct. Very sad.

This so called “honor killing” always leaves me completely speechless, leave alone confused :confused:
If one’s own family can do that, there is nothing left to shock us.
I just thank God with all my heart that He made me who I am.

This is one of the biggest problems I have with Islam.

Old Testament says it’s ok to stone people if they do x, y or z.

Jesus vetoes this by saying only those without sin i.e. no one should stone people.

Islam then comes and says it’s ok to stone people again, effectively winding things back to Old Testament times. Such regression is not a good thing, to say the least.

Which makes you wonder how Islam accepts Jesus as a prophet, when much of what he said was negated by Mohammed, their “prophet”.

Barbarism, a pregnant woman. Complete lack of compassion and empathy. Repetitive story with Islam. Reminds me of the Satanic verse’s. The goat was of more value this day.

An update to the story today from CNN:

Stoned Pakistani woman’s husband: Family demanded money to stay alive

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) – The husband of a Pakistani woman stoned to death for refusing to participate in an arranged marriage told CNN her family had demanded 100,000 rupees if the couple wanted to stay alive.

Husband Mohammad Iqbal said he didn’t have the money, which equals about $1,000…

snip

Iqbal, in an interview with CNN, said Parveen and he were supposed to marry, with the family’s approval, last year. He was a widower and neighbor. As part of the arrangement, Iqbal said, he’d given Parveen’s father 80,000 rupees and gold jewelry.

Last December, Parveen’s mother died and her father and brothers changed their minds about the marriage, Iqbal said.

The family decided Parveen, 25, who came from a village in Punjab, should marry a cousin, police said.

snip
Police said they had arrested Parveen’s father, whose name they gave only as Azeem. They said he had admitted to the killing and expressed no regret.**

:mad:

• continue reading the article here:

cnn.com/2014/05/29/world/meast/pakistani-honor-killing/

I cannot help but think if these men only new Our Lord Jesus Christ, they would see their own names written in the sand, and dropped their stones, knowing that they themselves were not without sin:

John 8:3-9
The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.

Should it come as a surprise to anyone that this came down to money?

Apparently Muhummad Iqbal strangled his first wife in order to marry her.

“I was in love with Farzana and killed my first wife because of this love,” adding that he had strangled her.

Iqbal said he was spared a prison term because his son — who alerted police to the murder — later forgave him under the country’s controversial blood-money laws.

What a picture of connubial and familial bliss.

Not to start a big argument, but I’m not sure there’s anything in Islam itself that sanctions or sanctifies “honor” killing. I’ve been told that this sort of thing happens in Hindu and Sikh families in India as well (I’m sorry to say).

Why couldn’t Iqbal have two wives?

Might have been too expensive an option? Didn’t like the first wife’s curried goat?

If that weren’t so possibly true, it would be funny.

Oh shoot, you made me involuntarily laugh, but I guess that’s better than crying.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.