In major address to Italian Catholic convention, Pope explains his vision of 'Christian humanism' [CWN]

Pope Francis sketched out his vision of “practical Christian humanism” in a major address to the 5th National Ecclesiastical Congress in Florence, Italy, on November 10. The …

More…

I was disappointed that this news report overlooked some other key points mentioned by Francis to the Italian people. Just to share more of his actual wording as reported by the Vatican here … and which spoke to my heart::

“Humility, selflessness, beatitude … they also say something to the Italian Church that today meets to walk together, setting an example of synodality. These features tell us that we must not be obsessed with power, even when this assumes the appearance of a useful or functional power in the social image of the Church. If the Church does not assume Jesus’ mind, she is disorientated and loses her way. A Church with these three features – humility, selflessness and beatitude – is a Church that recognizes the action of the Lord in the world, in culture, in the daily life of the people. I have said this more than once, and I will repeat it again today to you: ‘I prefer a Church which is bruised, hurting and dirty because it has been out on the streets, rather than a Church which is unhealthy from being confined and from clinging to its own security’”.

"I ask the bishops to be pastors. Nothing more: pastors. May this be your joy: ‘I am a pastor’. It will be the people, your flock, who support you. … May nothing and no-one remove from you the joy of being supported by your people. As pastors, do not be preachers of complex doctrines, but rather announcers of Christ, Who died and rose again for us. Focus on the essential, the kerygma. There is nothing more solid, profound and sure than this announcement.

But may it be all the people of God who announce the Gospel, people and pastors. I also recommend, in a special way, the capacity for dialogue and encounter. Dialogue is not negotiation. Negotiating is bargaining to obtain your own piece of the common ‘pie’. That is not what I mean. Instead it is seeking the common good for all".

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.