In need of an accountability partner

I am a 28 year old cradle catholic who just within the past two years have realized the Truth that the Catholic Church is. I have now come to love everything about my faith and am doing my best to live it out but unfortunately I am having difficulty overcoming my habitual sin of masturbation.
I have been seeking relief for awhile now and come across multiple times that an accountability partner is a must. I did seek out a priest to become my spiritual director and when I asked him if he would be my accountability partner he said no since he thought others may seek him out for that reason and he didn’t like the idea of it. I also asked my wife but she is not where I am spiritually and I know she wont be the type of person I need for this.
So here I am seeking someone who be willing to be my online accountability partner. I also could be one for them if they are in need. I would like me and this person to swap e-mail so that we could keep in contact and encourage each other daily.
Please let me know if you can help or if you know of someplace where I can find accountability.

Thanks and God Bless,
Zach

Zach, Zach, Zach what nothing interesting on TV tonight. I guess one could say you truly are a w*nker.

I think it would be best for you to find someone in real life. Someone you can talk with face to face. Accountability is kind of hard online. Do you know any men at your church? You can find some male friends through men’s conferences and men’s faith study groups.

You can join the Impurity Addiction Support Group here if you want. It’s a forum for people fighting this to chat with each other. On that page, click on the link to join the group. The group leader should add you to it in a few days.

I don’t know if I can help you much through the internet, but feel free to send me private messages if you don’t want to post publicly. I have dealt with those same sins throughout my life. Sometimes I have been very strong and successful. Other times I have been very weak and fail repeatedly. I am doing well right now, but there are still daily temptations. This is truly a lifelong battle for most men. But again, you should really try to find men near you to really become close friends and help each other.

I know I shouldn’t, but :rotfl: that was funny! :smiley: Are you sure you’re Origen and not Jerome? :wink:

One’s spouse should definitely NOT be your accountability partner.
It needs to be 1) someone who is further along spiritually than yourself, and 2) is the same sex as you (unless you are homosexual, then it would be just the opposite).

In 12 Step programs ( like Sexaholics Anonymous ) a “sponsor” is usually one’s accountability partner.

:ehh:

Hi Zach,

Firstly, WELCOME to CAF! You’ve come to the right place to talk about your struggles. The users on this site can help you on your journey back to the faith. You’ll find you’re not alone in your struggles and this site is something of a vast support network. Feel free to post back anytime when you are in need of help, or just have a question.

I agree with the above posters, having an accountability partner is best done in person. Why don’t you see if you can find one? Are there any men’s groups at your church? Or maybe you could join the Knights of Columbus?

You made the right call by getting a spiritual director. I think you may find that in and of itself is like having an accountability person.

Above all else, be at peace and know that God loves you. I will pray for you!

God bless!

Thanks, this support group seems like it may be exactly what I was looking for! And thank you to rest of you for your help.

God bless
Zachary

Being another married man who has struggled with this, if you wanted to send me a PM I would be willing to talk to you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.