In need of some support

I’m feeling pretty friendless right now.

I know, of course, that God is always with me, but sometimes its harder to feel His presence than others. I’m having one of those “dry times” that St. Therese Lisieux wrote about.

It seems like everyone I know is falling away. I’ve debated contraception with my mother-in-law, who was a Master Catechist in her diocese for years - yet she’s on the pro-condom side now. My best friend supports Obama and abortion, and married an ex-Jehovah’s Witness that doesn’t even believe Christ was nailed to a cross.

While my wife is my rock in so many ways, she’s not in this case. She’s - at least usually - the less-certain one, the one that asks me catechism questions.

And right now, I’m at work in fiercely-pro-Obama Philadelphia with a pro-choice, pro-gay-marriage coworker.

I’m not sure if I’m doubting exactly. I think I’m despairing - and its making it a lot harder to feel Him still in my life. I could use a little encouragement. (And practical advice wouldn’t go amiss either.)

In Christ,
Joe

Hi

Hang in there! :console:

All I can tell you is Pray. Pray, Pray, Pray. :signofcross:

Ask God for ways to show your faith through Living it. Ask Him to help you be a witness - not through Bible thumping, but through example.

It’s lonely in the lions den - but, with God all things are possible. He never said “I’m sending you into the world with swords and clubs” He said “I’m sending you into the world as sheep to slaughter”.

Hang in there and Pray. Bring a small prayer book. Take your lunchtime and pray the Rosary - even if it’s just in your head. Maybe start praying the morning offering LOTH. Use this grinding down dryness to shape you and form you into the diamond God is trying to make of you. Above all “Fear not, for I am with you always - even unto the end of the age”

Ask your wife to learn with you. Maybe start going through the Catechism together and learn? Have family prayer time. Encourage her to learn on her own also - and discuss things with you after? Explain to her the difficulty you are having, and you’re having a hard time fighting on two fronts.

Rest in His promises, and Pray!

I will be praying for you, as well as your wife and co-workers.

Peace to you and yours

John

Pray to St. Michael. You sound like you are definitely ‘in the trenches’, my friend.
I will pray for you as well.

Take comfort…this has been foretold by Christ, and you are not alone in the struggle (I am struggling with something similar with my family members):

Reflect on Matthew 10:34 - 36:

**34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household. **

Hang in there! And think about 2nd Timothy 4…keep fighting your good fight, persevere until the end so that you will recieve your crown of glory!

It often helps to surround yourself with like minded people.
Find a parish nearby that is “orthodox”, if thats possible, and take part in the devotions.

Another thing to do is to pray the litany of humility A LOT. This helps you to “not care” about the things going on around you but helps you focus on God, which is where you will the Grace to deal with these issues.

Another big thing to do is take it to the confessional.

Lastly, remember to thank God for your depression because you know that he allowed it because there will be good that comes from it.

God never gives you more than you can handle. Pray for wisdom and remain in a state of Grace.

Well for all its worth I will write to you and from now you are on my prayer chain. Believe that the dry spells are the good ones that as I would put it you have come to the point where you at your point have become saturated and it seems there is nowhere to go but God is allowing this to happen, so just hang in there because once you get through you will start going deeper into God’s love.
Godbless and keep going even though… I will pray

I’m right there with you right now too Joe. I’ll pray for you. I got your back.

Joe,
from the tone of your post, it sounds like you’re depressed mostly because people around you, don’t agree with you.

You have to stop and ask yourself, why they not hearing and seeing what you hear and see?

Maybe its the way Christ is presented to them, that turns them away?

Who knows?

However, keep in mind that nothing you have, came from yourself, it was given to you from God.

Begin to focus yourself on prayer. Ask Christ to align your will with His, and to help you to see others as He sees them, through a compassionate heart.

Eventually, you’ll see those around you not as sinners, but as being “poor.” Poor in the fact that they don’t have the joy and love of Christ in their hearts.

Our peace and joy should be a reflection of Christ in our lives. If we have it, people will see it, if not, we are as blind as they are, despite having religion in our lives.

God Bless
Jim

Don’t give in to depression, it sounds like your friends and relatives need you most now. When so many folks have fallen away, it is up to us to pray for them, to continue to be an example for them.

So many of my friends and family have become lapsed Catholics or even atheist. I have continued prayoing for them, and a few have returned. Of course, I pray that all of them to return or be converted, but it will be in God’s own time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.