In Paradisum/Psalm 121 Lryics in Latin?

I am looking for the full lyrics of In Paradisum with Psalm 121 as chanted by the the Cistercian Monks Of Stift Heiligenkreuz here.

I have the antiphon…

***Latin - In paradisum deducant te Angeli; in tuo adventu suscipiant te martyres, et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Ierusalem.

English - May angels lead you into paradise; upon your arrival, may the martyrs receive you and lead you to the holy city of Jerusalem.***

I can’t find the exact match for the verses. I know it is Psalm 121 (122) but it doesn’t seem to match the Latin Vulgate at drbo.org/lvb/chapter/21121.htm. That link says “Clementine” and so I suspect that there is a different version of Psalm 121 in Latin.

Is there another version of Latin that it might match? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Tim-

There have been a number of Latin Psalters throughout history. The Wikipaedia page has much history and links to many of them: Latin Psalters

tee

It’s an antiphon, not taken from any psalm. It’s a series of three antiphons, the third one is Ego sum resurrectio from John 11: 25, 26, the first two are not scriptural. Psalm 121 is used in the procession from the church, it starts “Laetatus sum in eo…”

No, I’m not talking about the antiphon, but the verses which the title at youtube.com/watch?v=TReKgCLUqqU says is Psalm 121.

The first verse is “***Laetatus sum in his quae dicta sunt mihi: In domum Domini ibimus.***” That’s definitely Psalm 121 but what the monks chant doesn’t match exactly any version of Psalm 121 in Latin that I could find. There are slight differences.

Sorry if I was not clear.

-Tim-

It’s in the numbering of the Psalms. The Latin text you give is of 121 in the Vulgate reckoning, which is 122 in the Hebrew.

[BIBLEDRB]Psalm 121:1-9[/BIBLEDRB]

To see the Latin text alongside the English, try here: drbo.org/drl/chapter/21121.htm

-ACEGC

Stift Heiligenkreuz!!!

Ok I get it. I have that CD and checked the little booklet that comes with it, that has the words. The version you cite comes from the Vulgate Latin.

The current liturgical version is the Neo Vulgate. The monks are singing

Laetatus sum in eo quod dixerunt mihi. That’s the Neo Vulgate as it appears in the current Graduale Romanum as well as in Liturgia Horarum.

The best source for the text is in fact the Vatican website:

Psalm 121(122)

That’s it. I never heard of the Neo Vulgate. You learned me something.

I bought it from iTunes - no little booklet. I should have ordered the physical media like a grown man. :wink:

Thanks!

-Tim-

Yeah, why? What’s up?

Nice place. It’s been in continuous operation since 1133, freestanding altar and all. I would like to go some day but Ich habe kein Geld right now.

http://www.stift-heiligenkreuz.org/typo3temp/pics/03087b7634.jpg

See more…

-Tim-

I believe the official name is the Nova Vulgata.

Yep, my French liturgical books translate it to “Néo-vulgate”.

One point worth mentioning: in modern liturgical texts, you’ll find that the Neo Vulgate is used for the psalms.

However for the antiphons, most of them were composed with the Vulgate. Because it would be a monumental task to completely re-write the musical patrimony for the Neo Vulgate, you’ll find that the antiphons for the most part still use the Vulgate text.

Since the antiphon is often one of the psalm verses, the text given in the antiphon will differ from the text in the psalm.

That makes sense. I noticed that the antiphon spells Jerusalem as Ierusalem while the psalm itself spells it Hierusalem.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.