In powerful speech, San Diego bishop challenges organizers to disrupt, rebuild

Wow.

Bishop Robert McElroy gave a powerful speech that calls us all to do the right thing - by disrupting the disrupter. Bravo, Bishop, Bravo.

“President Trump was the candidate of disruption. He was the disrupter, he said,” McElroy told those gathered here Saturday morning for the U.S. regional meeting of the World Meeting of Popular Movements. “Well now, we must all become disrupters.”

“We must disrupt those who would seek to send troops into our streets to deport the undocumented, to rip mothers and fathers from their families. We must disrupt those who portray refugees as enemies, rather than our brothers and sisters in terrible need. We must disrupt those who train us to see Muslim men and women and children as sources of fear rather than as children of God. We must disrupt those who seek to rob our medical care, especially from the poor. We must disrupt those who would take even food stamps and nutrition assistance from the mouths of children,” the bishop said.

ncronline.org/news/justice/powerful-speech-san-diego-bishop-challenges-organizers-disrupt-rebuild#.WKpcFu_X3f8.twitter

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

"I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute, where no Catholic prelate would tell the president (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference; and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the president who might appoint him or the people who might elect him.

I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish; where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source; where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials; and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all."

John F. Kennedy

npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16920600

This is a terrible thing to suggest! I can hardly believe this came from a Bishop😔 I will pray for him.
mlz

Pope John Paul II repeatedly told the clergy in his 1993 address to remember their role and to look to Jesus’s example: “Like Jesus, [a priest] must renounce involvement in political activity, especially by not taking sides, which almost inevitably happens.”

toledoblade.com/Religion/2011/10/20/Priests-face-limits-on-political-activity.html

x2

I am thankful for Bishop McElroy, but I also think that a speech like this points to why we should keep the Johnson Amendment in place. I know this doesn’t exactly fit the parameters of the amendment (the election is over), but if we get rid of the Johnson Amendment, which Trump proposes and many of his supporters applaud, we should bear in mind that we may not always like what our clergy has to say once they enter the political realm unimpeded.

Similar to Michael Moore at the so-called “Women’s March”.:eek:
Hillary was the candidate of…? Death.

The primary reason for the Church’s existence is to save souls. It’s about time all of us Catholics (and non-Catholic Christians) woke up to that truth!
A nation has the right to defend its borders. Yes? No?

Has anyone seen, A Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing by Arcadia Films? These are the times for fervent prayer and The Catechism of the Catholic Church.

May God bless us all

How Trump became the pro-life leader Republicans always needed

President Trump has transformed the Republican Party’s long-standing opposition to abortion from a moral imperative into a political winner.

As a result, and to the consternation of many in the pro-life movement, President Trump, unlike his Republican predecessors, is actually delivering on the pro-life agenda…

By sending Vice President Pence to the March for Life last month and nominating a pro-life justice to the Supreme Court, Trump is signaling that he understands these constraints as well the value of being the pro-life movement’s de facto leader.

With this in mind, it should come as no surprise when he finally cuts off the flow of federal funds to the nation’s largest abortion provider, Planned Parenthood, over the objection of some self-professed pro-life Republicans.

Moreover, should the opportunity arise, he will even appoint a second Supreme Court justice that will bring Roe v. Wade in to play and re-empower the American people to protect the unborn in their respective states.

thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/320138-how-trump-unexpectedly-brought-the-pro-life-movement-to

“The promotion of the culture of life should be the highest priority in our societies…If the right to life is not defended decisively as a condition for all other rights of the person, all other references to human rights remain deceitful and illusory.”

Pope John Paul II

So in other words he’d have preferred Hillary had been president with the world of pain that would come along with that. Seriously?! One of the first things Trump did when inaugurated was to fire all US ambassadors worldwide who had been instructed by the Obama administration to push abortion, the “LGBT” agenda, and euthanasia on their respective countries with the threat of withholding financial aid unless they comply. That one fell swoop by Trump alone is clearly a step in the right direction which Hillary would have never taken. Why then is something seemingly as insignificant as immigration so high on the radar for this Bishop when most Catholics in his diocese probably don’t know their faith and may not even be in states of sanctifying grace for the simple fact of not even knowing what that means? Is it perhaps because some of these immigrants are usually Catholics who might be likely to join and then contribute financially to their new dioceses? Don’t get me wrong; I’m all for immigration when done the right way but I also believe the obviously corrupt governments south of the US need to begin to take care of their own people rather than the US government having to do it for them. Furthermore, if an American were to walk around a city in the seven countries on Trump’s list they would be tortured and beheaded BY THE LOCALS. Why then should America let in people from those places without vetting them as much as possible? People need to wake up.

So in other words he’d have preferred Hillary had been president with the world of pain that would come along with that. Seriously?! One of the first things Trump did when inaugurated was to fire all US ambassadors worldwide who had been instructed by the Obama administration to push abortion, the “LGBT” agenda, and euthanasia on their respective assigned countries with the threat of withholding financial aid unless those countries comply. That one fell swoop by Trump alone is clearly a step in the right direction which Hillary would have never taken. Why then is something seemingly as insignificant as immigration so high on the radar for this Bishop when most Catholics in his diocese probably don’t know their faith and may not even be in states of sanctifying grace for the simple fact of not even knowing what that means? Is it perhaps because some of these immigrants are usually Catholics who might be likely to join and then contribute financially to their new dioceses? Don’t get me wrong; I’m all for immigration when done the right way but I also believe the obviously corrupt governments south of the US need to begin to take care of their own people rather than the US government having to do it for them. Furthermore, if an American were to walk around a city in the seven countries on Trump’s list they would be tortured and beheaded BY THE LOCALS. Why then should America let in people from those places without vetting them as much as possible? People need to wake up.

Would that our SJW Bishops were as fired up about vocations, falling Mass attendance, and being true Shepherds.

Then why are Priests politically protesting at Abortion Clinics ? Are you saying they should not protest against a US policy ? Social Justice is important to Catholics as much as Abortion. If this is the case then Priests and Bishops should stay inside their Church and not speak out on anything but the meaning of the day’s Gospel !

The culture of life and common sense have taken a back seat to left-wing social justice agenda in the current environment. This is unacceptable. Let’s really pause for a moment and think about this… The most dangerous place for a baby to live is in his/her mother’s womb. In the US alone, millions of babies died there every year. This is many, many, many folds worse than the holocaust. The Church can not just give lips-service to this tragedy.

Where was the voice of Bishop McElroy defending the unborn during the last (or any) March for Life event?

See for yourself. sandiegowalkforlife.org/2017-speakers/
Bishop McElroy was a speaker at the San Diego Walk For Life. But he is also not “single issue” when it comes to life issues, to his credit.

Thank you. I was referring to March for Life events. But Walk for Life is also very good. I stand corrected.

National Catholic Register

Bishop McElroy does not dispute the significance of the life issues or of abortion. Quite the contrary. He concludes his essay by highlighting four life issue which, on account of their gravity at this moment in our nation’s political life, warrant special attention: abortion, poverty, the environment and assisted suicide. He rightly understands poverty as a life issue, and not merely because poverty is one of the most efficacious abortifacients. In his hands, these issues are shorn of their culture war value, even though he insists we must work to change our culture’s casual disregard for the human dignity. His case is compelling. If you doubt it, ask yourself this question: If you were a pastor and you wanted to make material available to your parishioners that would help them inform their consciences in advance of the election, would you select this article or the unwieldy mess that “Faithful Citizenship” has become?

Readers will recall that at last November’s USCCB meeting, Bishop McElroy delivered a heartfelt plea to scrap “Faithful Citizenship” and produce a new document. The Vice President of the conference, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo rudely insulted Bishop McElroy after his intervention was finished, and the body of bishops voted overwhelmingly to adopt the text. In this article, +McElroy opens up the possibility of what “Faithful Citizenship” might have been, a cogent, forceful, persuasive teaching document. Now, he has taken to the pages of America magazine to provide such a document. He has done a great service for the Church and for the country as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.