In regards to Mortal Sins

I think it is a little ridiculous that if I were to oversleep and miss mass, and unfortunately that day I was struck by lightning I would be condemned to hell. This whole mortal sin thing is the only reason I confess, otherwise I would not. I love my sins but at the same time I do not want to perish in hell. People say trust in the Lord your God for He is good. I do not see Him that way. I’m sorry if I offend any. He gives us different paths to holiness. Some people’s paths are filled with joy and friendship. Others are filled with sorrow, suffering, and correction. Supposedly God loves each equally. I do not also see the good in reading my bible and attending mass. It means the more I am responsible for. I have to live my life according to the Way Jesus intended it for, not the way I want. Which truly irritates me? What I am not meant for marriage? My physical appearance and personality has already been determined for me.
God made some cheerful, physically beautiful, easygoing by nature.
While others are plain, prone to sadness and stubborn.
Yet God expects each to be happy for your life.
Some people by nature can handle life’s difficulties and are grounded (down-to-earth), realistic, strong without ever needing to profess a faith in God. While others are idealist, dreamers, and need to be grounded.
Some people’s transgressions are hidden and while others are open to for all others to correct.
There is a vast diversity in human nature. Some people seem to be on the losing end.
The only promise for those losers is a promise of an afterlife, THAT CANNOT BE SEEN.
I guess only LOSERS need faith, because they can’t make it here on Earth.

Whoa…some one got up on the wrong side of the bed today.
It really can’t be that bad…remember we all have free choice. Looks to me like you are choosing to be grumpy.

I did, however, like the line about why read the Bible, it only makes us responsible for more. I often think that too. Ignorance really is bliss. The less you know, the less you are accountable for. Looks like you know much, so much is being asked…(from Spider-Man!).
I hope you choose to be happier.

I was just saying this yesterday. Can’t I just unknow half the things I know already? I do not want to know God anymore. He is harsher to those within his church, those outside his church are free. What is the beauty in knowing God?

There are no losers in God’s eyes. Get that straight.
And you’re not offending me or anyone else. Except maybe God. :shrug:
A lack of understanding, gratitude, and the true nature of your relationship with God is something to be worked on, not griped about.
If you want to get to know God correctly, for the good of your soul and ease of entry into heaven, work on it.
If you wanted to be a physician, you’d study right?
If you want to learn about God, read His book. Go to His house.
Have your people call His people.
Srsly.

Where’d you get that idea? You wouldn’t have deliberately missed Mass.

I love my sins but at the same time I do not want to perish in hell.

Given your error above, I wonder if they’re really sins?

People say trust in the Lord your God for He is good. I do not see Him that way. I’m sorry if I offend any. He gives us different paths to holiness. Some people’s paths are filled with joy and friendship. Others are filled with sorrow, suffering, and correction. Supposedly God loves each equally. I do not also see the good in reading my bible and attending mass. It means the more I am responsible for. I have to live my life according to the Way Jesus intended it for, not the way I want. Which truly irritates me? What I am not meant for marriage? My physical appearance and personality has already been determined for me.
God made some cheerful, physically beautiful, easygoing by nature.
While others are plain, prone to sadness and stubborn.
Yet God expects each to be happy for your life.
Some people by nature can handle life’s difficulties and are grounded (down-to-earth), realistic, strong without ever needing to profess a faith in God. While others are idealist, dreamers, and need to be grounded.
Some people’s transgressions are hidden and while others are open to for all others to correct.
There is a vast diversity in human nature. Some people seem to be on the losing end.
The only promise for those losers is a promise of an afterlife, THAT CANNOT BE SEEN.
I guess only LOSERS need faith, because they can’t make it here on Earth.

I’m really not trying to minimize your feelings, but you seem to be having a REALLY bad day. Can you find something to do to take your mind off these subjects for a while?

God is not some sort of cosmic vending machine.
He is real. He has feelings. He is all good and loving.
The fact that you are determined not to see this (refusing to acknowledge this) hurts Him.
Remember those wounds at the crucifixion? We all caused those.
All of us.
And He still redeemed us, and made a place for us to be with Him, in eternal bliss in heaven.
I myself am humbled by this knowledge, and I believe it to be quite beautiful.

““I want them to understand that it is beautiful to be a Christian! … I would like to make it clear that to be sustained by this great Love and God’s sublime revelation is not a burden, but rather a set of wings—that it is truly beautiful to be a Christian. It is an experience that gives us room to breathe and move, but most of all, it places us within a community since, as Christians, we are never alone: first of all, there is God, who is always with us; secondly, we are always forming a great community among ourselves: a community of people together on a journey, a community with a project for the future. All of this means that we are empowered to live a life worth living. This is the joy of being a Christian: that it is beautiful and right to believe!””

~Pope Benedict XVI 2005

““To gaze upon Christ!” If we do this, we realize that Christianity is more than and different from a moral code, from a series of requirements and laws. It is the gift of a friendship that lasts through life and death: “No longer do I call you servants, but friends” (Jn 15:15), the Lord says to his disciples. We entrust ourselves to this friendship. Yet precisely because Christianity is more than a moral system, because it is the gift of friendship, for this reason it also contains within itself great moral strength, which is so urgently needed today on account of the challenges of our time. If with Jesus Christ and his Church we constantly re-read the Ten Commandments of Sinai, entering into their full depth, then a great, valid and lasting teaching unfolds before us. The Ten Commandments are first and foremost a “yes” to God, to a God who loves us and leads us, who carries us and yet allows us our freedom: indeed, it is he who makes our freedom real (the first three commandments). It is a “yes” to the family (fourth commandment), a “yes” to life (fifth commandment), a “yes” to responsible love (sixth commandment), a “yes” to solidarity, to social responsibility and to justice (seventh commandment), a “yes” to truth (eighth commandment) and a “yes” to respect for other people and for what is theirs (ninth and tenth commandments). By the strength of our friendship with the living God we live this manifold “yes” and at the same time we carry it as a signpost into this world of ours today.”

~ Pope Benedict XVI 8 September 2007

“Christian joy thus springs from this certainty: God is close, he is with me, he is with us, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, as a friend and faithful spouse. And this joy endures, even in trials, in suffering itself. It does not remain only on the surface; it dwells in the depths of the person who entrusts himself to God and trusts in him.”

~ Pope Benedict XVI Angelus 16 December 2007

“Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction.”

~ Pope Benedict XVI Deus Caritas Est

“Faith opens us to knowing and welcoming the real identity of Jesus, his newness and oneness, his word, as a source of life, in order to live a personal relationship with him. Knowledge of the faith grows, it grows with the desire to find the way and in the end it is a gift of God who does not reveal himself to us as an abstract thing without a face or a name, because faith responds to a Person who wants to enter into a relationship of deep love with us and to involve our whole life.”

~ Pope Benedict XVI (Sunday, 14 August 2011)

Why is God harder on the people who believe than those who don’t? They may seem to have it easier but what are they missing? When I didn’t believe, there was always this hole that nothing could fill. I tried to fill it with everything I thought would make me happy or more wise. It didn’t work. When I started to think it was a lack of spirituality that was causing this, I turned to paganism and Buddhism because they fit with my “godless” ideals. It didn’t work. Then I started to see that it’s not only spirituality that was missing but a lack of one true direction given by one source, God. Now, do the godless have it better? The Devil would like you to think so. But even if it were true that they did, there is a reason for that. No one grows wiser or happier with an easy life. You learn these things through the trials and hardships in life. They connect you with the people that suffer and through this connection you see through Christ’s eyes. You see where you can help the world the way God wants you to.

I’d rather be a “loser” in this life and a “winner” in the next life than the other way around.

God did not create us to merely be happy here on Earth. He has a greater plan for each of us. That plan is known through faith. Those who lack faith are the real “losers”. I will pray for your faith to be strengthened.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.