In Romans 15:24 Paul the Apostle speaks of his plans to go to Spain, did he ever go there in the end

Romans 15:24

I plan to do so when I go to Spain. I hope to see you while passing through and to have you assist me on my journey there, after I have enjoyed your company for a while.

Also, who was he speaking to?

Paul was speaking to the city of Rome’s Christians in general, hoping to visit them on the road to Spain.

We don’t know if Paul ever was able to. Clement of Rome’s epistle to the Corinthians seems to imply that he did, saying:

After that he had been seven times in bonds, had been driven into exile, had been stoned, had preached in the East and in the West, he won the noble renown which was the reward of his faith, having taught righteousness unto the whole world and having reached the farthest bounds of the West

But we don’t know if Clement was writing about facts, legend, or if he was only making an inference from Paul saying he intended to go to Spain in the Letter to the Romans…

Although no where in scripture is there any indication, the conclusion that he did in fact reach Spain is supported by extra-biblical sources:

•1 Clement 5:7 says he reached “the extreme limit of the west”

•The Muratorian Canon refers to “the journey of St. Paul to Spain”

He is speaking to the Christian Community in Rome in general.

Ah that’s a great help, thank you.

Maybe Google translate may help
es.zenit.org/articles/expertos-consideran-que-san-pablo-estuvo-en-espana/

In 2008, 30 theologians and historians from Europe and America met in Spain to answer that very question. Their conclusion, was that early church beginnings in Spain had all the signs of apostolic origins.

Paul’s trip to Spain via Rome did not go as planned. Paul was arrested in Jerusalem and brought to Rome as a prisoner, he remained there two years.

Paul spoke to the churches in Rome

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.