In Russia, Crime Without Punishment

Vladimir Putin backs the rebels suspected of shooting down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17. Why each new crisis makes him stronger

The scene was almost too horrible to take in, and yet in a world of bristling threats no scene has been more revealing: under the baking July sun of eastern Ukraine, hundreds of bodies lay rotting as pro-Russian militiamen, some of them apparently drunk, brandished their weapons to keep European observers away. A Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 bearing 298 souls–AIDS researchers, young lovers, eager children–had been blown out of the sky, apparently by a Russian-made missile, and the dead fell in a gruesome storm. One voice, and one voice only, could put an end to this indecent standoff over the innocent victims. But Vladimir Putin merely shrugged and pointed a finger at the Ukrainian government and, by extension, its Western allies. “Without a doubt,” Putin told a meeting of his economic aides on the night of the disaster, “the state over whose territory this happened bears the responsibility for this frightful tragedy.”

Had Putin finally gone too far? As the days passed and the stench rose, the coldly calculating Russian President got his answer: apparently not. While state-controlled media at home buried Russia’s role in the disaster under an avalanche of anti-Western propaganda, leaders in Europe and the U.S. found themselves stymied once again by Putin’s brazenness. Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, whose nation lost 193 citizens in the attack (one of them a U.S.-passport holder) called pitifully on Putin to do “what is expected of him” in helping recover the bodies. U.S. President Barack Obama struck a similar tone on July 21 after the victims’ remains had been packed into refrigerated train cars out of reach of foreign investigators: “Given its direct influence over the separatists, Russia and President Putin in particular has direct responsibility to compel them to cooperate with the investigation. That is the least that they can do.”

That was the crisis in a nutshell: the least Putin could do was the most Obama could ask for. The American President announced no deadlines, drew no red lines and made no threats. Even as U.S. intelligence sources asserted with growing confidence that Russian weapons and Russian allies were behind the missile attack, U.S. diplomats were met with roadblocks as they tried to rally Europe to stiffen sanctions against Putin. Obama and Rutte spoke as leaders without leverage, for their voters aren’t interested in military conflict with Russia or its puppets. A generation of Westerners has grown up in the happy belief that the Cold War ended long ago and peace is Europe’s fated future. They are slow to rally to the chore of once again containing Russia’s ambitions.

time.com/3028057/in-russia-crime-without-punishment/

There is a definite amount of truth to the article. To students of history, we are seeing a recycling of issues that caused WWI, WWII, and the Cold war. But I also don’t see a direct repeat of this history coming either. There is much more economic interdependence at the moment for one.

What will be interesting to see is how far Russia can go before Europe bites the bullet and seeks energy sources other than Russia. It will also be interesting to see how the non-western world; especially Brazil, China, India, and Russia align in response to the forces behind this conflict and what is going on in the middle east.

A lot of people indeed, see Russia going on and on as in World War II and the Sudetenland. A few years ago, it was Georgia, then Crimea and now Ukraine. I can definitely see that view. China too, while it is not as played up, seems to be doing a bit of this as well in that part of the sea but Russia’s acts seem to be more cause of alarm.

I admired Putin in his fight against terrorism in russia during his first term of his presidency. He was tough.

I wish if the united states or ukraine or any other country has satellite photos or radar or any kind of proof that shows Russia had part in the downing of the malaysian airliner they bring it forth.
The latest news I heard is that Russia has 15, 000 troops along its border with ukraine so I am not sure what to expect now.

I cant remember the exact article or where I read it, but I do recall reading an article in our newspaper that seemed to predict Russian troops would invading US soil before too long, China would be involved and would be siding with Russia. Im not sure about this, but I do think its strange how chummy china and russia seem to be on alot of things, namely the desire to drop the US dollar, and China to come out with a new form of currency to take its place…now, I can see this happening, and China probably has a plan in place for this to happen I imagine.

China and russia realize the poor leadership we have had in our country. The weak leadership that has allowed our country to go downhill economically and morally! We probably don’t seem like a threat anymore.

Which issues are these? Because I see accusations being flung by Russia and the West at each other on a constant basis. Their nature changed after the Cold War ended but they still continued.

What will be interesting to see is how far Russia can go before Europe bites the bullet and seeks energy sources other than Russia. It will also be interesting to see how the non-western world; especially Brazil, China, India, and Russia align in response to the forces behind this conflict and what is going on in the middle east.

Europe does not have to bite anything. It’s simply not in, for example, Germany’s best interest at the moment to alienate the Russians. For what?

The B_ICS will probably side with Russia.

They probably just see that the US has a huge debt and there is too much QE. They also have their own populations, especially China, where nationalism has upsurged.

Which US soil? Russians don’t have the capability to send troops to USA. And your military is still more powerful than the armies of Russia, China, India and Brazil combined. They are not a threat to America at this stage.

The only thing invading the US is the Obama teams crony capitalism.

Your newspaper needs to hire better journalists if it is publishing articles of that sort. It sounds like Red Dawn recycled. I recommend that movie though, it’s one of the best pieces of comedy ever made.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.