In Search For Cures, Scientists Create Embryos That Are Both Animal And Human

A handful of scientists around the United States are trying to do something that some people find disturbing: make embryos that are part human, part animal.

The researchers hope these embryos, known as chimeras, could eventually help save the lives of people with a wide range of diseases.

npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/05/18/478212837/in-search-for-cures-scientists-create-embryos-that-are-both-animal-and-human

This is an evil endeavor. One can never do evil to bring about good and making these part animal, part human embryos would be a gravely immoral act.

I would rather die than resort to something as gross as this. I wouldn’t even allow aborted baby tissue to be used to save my life. Dear GOD have Mercy on us. God Bless, Memaw

“If you have pigs with partly human brains you would have animals that might actually have consciousness like a human,” Newman says. “It might have human-type needs. We don’t really know.”

“If a male chimeric pig mated with a female chimeric pig, the result could be a human fetus developing in the uterus of that female chimera,” Newman says. Another possibility is the animals could give birth to some kind of part-human, part-pig creature.

At this rate progressive liberals would be talking equal rights for chimeras by next election. :eek:

It’s not actually gravely immoral. The Vatican has already looked at this ( it is called Transgenesis)

It is permissible in certain circumstances, such as when the illness that it treats is a serious one, that the animal is treated well, and that the animal is not allowed to breed in the wild

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_academies/acdlife/documents/rc_pa_acdlife_doc_20010926_xenotrapianti_en.html

The document itself deals with the moral implication of Xenotransplantation ( using organs of another species to transplant into humans)

Section 15 of the above document deals with the moral implications of genetically engineering those organs for compatibility ( Transgenesis). That is what is being done in this article.

One thing to remember is that, from the Church’s perspective, these embyro’s are not ‘part human’. A human being is a body animated by a rational soul. This is not true in the circumstances in question.

Yes, part of the pig, or cow or sheep is genetically similar to human genetics, but that is NOT the same things as saying that it is ‘part human’

I can understand this, to a degree, but what about the link I posted in the other thread about this issue? There, they were mostly human with some cow parts. I believe it was only the outer shell of the cell, not DNA itself. They then harvested the human embryonic cells after about a month. But if it were possible to do true chimeras, where does one draw the line between human and animal? How does one make the exact distinction of the rational soul in such a case? This seems rife with abuse, to me, and it seems like it could further solidify the culture of death’s leanings that we are human only if we have a fully rational mind.

…or perhaps paving the way for lesser rights for human beings.

Sometimes fiction helps with perspectives on complicated subjects. I’ve written a fictional mystery book with background topics of the biotechnology industry, academic research, in-vitro fertilization and genetic manipulation, among others. It’s a little technical, but I tried to make it as plain as I could for anyone to read. If you like mysteries, please consider reading this FREE BOOK online and/or downloaded at the link here:

womanatwell.blogspot.com/p/biotech-swirl.html .

Thanks.

Its testing the powers of God. NEVER a good idea!!!

This whole thing is beyond sick !!! God Bless, Memaw

DNA and appearance are meaningless. They are accidental properties to the substance. A organism is not human simply because it appears to be human, nor is it human because of DNA. Those describe the substance, but are NOT the substance ‘human’

But if it were possible to do true chimeras, where does one draw the line between human and animal? How does one make the exact distinction of the rational soul in such a case?

A Rational soul has the power to animate the brain in such a way that it effects Reason.
The brain is not the source of Reason, it is the tool but which Reason is made manifest.

This seems rife with abuse, to me, and it seems like it could further solidify the culture of death’s leanings that we are human only if we have a fully rational mind.

Nope, the key is that the SOUL is Rational, not the mind. Those are distinct things. A Rational Soul has the power to animate the brain in such a way as to display Reason. A Rational soul exists even when the Reason has left the brain ( such as one in a coma, ) The Ration power of the Soul is also there, even if the brain is insufficiently developed to effect Reason, such as in an embryo.

How does this ‘test the powers of God’?

Did you read the statement from the Vatican that I posted?

For cures, it may be fine, but people will push that envelope, test the powers of creation. It requires strict limits. That is my opinion, deal with it, or not.

On a lighter note, whats with the earrings on the green goats? :slight_smile:

How does it ‘test the powers of creation’. It is manipulation of accidental properties.

These are IPS cells, adult cells that have had their genetic ‘cues’ toward stem cell activity activated.

This type of research is something that the Church has given it’s support to.

Read the section on adult stem cells (as opposed to embryonic cell research) in the article below

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_academies/acdlife/documents/rc_pa_acdlife_doc_20000824_cellule-staminali_en.html

Ive always believed mankind would eventually discover how to sort of merge human and animal genes and it could become the next big fad, like plastic surgery, those who could afford it would be getting tails, fangs like a snake, eyes of a cat, maybe scaly skin on one arm, etc.

The possibilities are endless on where this could go, plus its a slap in the face to God, so naturally a fallen world will revel in such a thing.

I’m sorry if I am missing something because I did not see in your reference the implantation of human adult stem cells or Induced Pluripotent Cells into other species. I think the main idea the authors had is to treat the adult stem cells or adult cells with enzymes in the lab to increase their potential to renew dead or damaged tissue of the patient. They are then supposed to thereby be implanted directly into the patient. They match the patient’s tissue types so there is not rejection.

The article given by the OP proposed putting these human induced pluripotent cells and parts into different species, with scientists admitting they don’t know what will happen to them. They hope they become livers or kidneys, but they could also become parts of brains of the animals:

The uncertainty is part of what makes the work so controversial. Ross and other scientists conducting these experiments can’t know exactly where the human stem cells will go. Ross hopes they’ll only grow a human pancreas. But they could go elsewhere, such as to the brain.

“If you have pigs with partly human brains you would have animals that might actually have consciousness like a human,” Newman says. “It might have human-type needs. We don’t really know.”

They also said these pigs should not be bred together or there may be even more chance human cells could be involved in the brains of the pigs. But they said they wouldn’t breed them. What if the next researchers decide to breed the pigs together anyway even if the first researchers said they wouldn’t?

What if these cells transplanted into pigs develop into human kidneys? If they are implanted back into humans, then they may have pig tissue which would include DNA. Would you then keep those humans from reproducing? What if the patients don’t obey the rules?

NIH already is on shaky ground. Although they have a Dept. of Bioethics, they also have a website for what researcher is working on what human embryonic stem cell line. The Director of NIH, Francis Collins, testified before congress a few years ago to convince them of the great “research value” of using human embryonic stem cells.There had been a ruling against using new human embryos, but Obama reversed it.

I don’t always know the philosophical and theological language for this argument. In a way it is simple and yet profound. We already know we should not kill human embryos. There are other things that go beyond our comprehension and we should know at least enough to keep our hands off.

The logic of abortion sets the principle that human life is ultimately a commodity with varying degrees of value and worth.

Thanks for explaining. I still don’t fully understand and I really don’t think I am capable of understanding but I accept whatever the Vatican has to say about it. I am sure they are far more wise and knowledgeable about these things than I am.

This sounds Satanic.

Why would it matter WHERE the new cells are grown?

The article given by the OP proposed putting these human induced pluripotent cells and parts into different species, with scientists admitting they don’t know what will happen to them. They hope they become livers or kidneys, but they could also become parts of brains of the animals:

Why would that matter? Genetically human brain cells could exist in the brain of a pig, but it would still be the brain of a pig, animated by a non-rational soul.

They also said these pigs should not be bred together or there may be even more chance human cells could be involved in the brains of the pigs. But they said they wouldn’t breed them. What if the next researchers decide to breed the pigs together anyway even if the first researchers said they wouldn’t?

The moral fault would be in the breeding, not in the use of the cells. Much like how a chemist can morally work with toxic chemicals. But if he dumps the chemicals in a lake, that would be a moral fault. The working with the chemicals is not.

What if these cells transplanted into pigs develop into human kidneys? If they are implanted back into humans, then they may have pig tissue which would include DNA. Would you then keep those humans from reproducing? What if the patients don’t obey the rules?

If the pigs reproduce, what of it. They are still pigs. They are bodies animated by non-rational, sensitive souls. They would still be pigs.

I don’t always know the philosophical and theological language for this argument. In a way it is simple and yet profound. We already know we should not kill human embryos. There are other things that go beyond our comprehension and we should know at least enough to keep our hands off.

The reason we do not kill human embryos is because they are human. The ‘humanness’ of the embryo is NOT a function of the genetics, it is a function of the soul that God created and unified with the body.

It is God who chooses if the creature is human, not any human. And that is true regardless of the genetic makeup.

A pig is a pig regardless of how much of it’s genetics, or the genetics of it’s parts. It is so because God gave it an animal soul, one that can empower the Senses ( sensitive soul), but cannot Reason.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.