In search of Pre-Lent Reading

Hi all,

I'm in search of a book or some material that my wife and I can read together to get prepared for lent. I converted in 2007 so lent is still kind of a new thing for me. We'd really like to do all we can to get our hearts more into lent this year.

If you think I'm in the wrong forum, please let me know.

Thank you.
Mike

So you’re looking for preparatory reading to prepare yourself for the period of preparation? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Last year, I pulled together links to the recent papal messages and audiences on Lent. They are all organized on my website: catechesisofthepopes.wikispaces.com/Lent

I would pay special attention to the “Messages for Lent” as those are ordinarily issued several months in advance of the Lenten season (although the Message for Lent 2010 is still not up yet). Those might fit the bill for what you’re looking for.

In terms of other stuff, any devotional material is good for Lent, especially if it focuses on the Passion of the Lord. My top picks would be:

[LIST]
*]Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
*]The Dolorous Passion by St. Anne Catherine Emmerich
*]Death on a Friday Afternoon by Richard John Neuhaus
[/LIST]

There are many others, but I’ll keep the list short for you. :slight_smile: Perhaps Imitation of Christ would be good for before Lent while the other titles would be good for during Lent.

Hope this helps!

[quote="smithmj77, post:1, topic:182005"]
Hi all,

I'm in search of a book or some material that my wife and I can read together to get prepared for lent. I converted in 2007 so lent is still kind of a new thing for me. We'd really like to do all we can to get our hearts more into lent this year.

If you think I'm in the wrong forum, please let me know.

Thank you.
Mike

[/quote]

Try The Essential Lenten Handbook: A Daily Companion by Thomas M. Santa published by Lugori Publications. It has sections on "The Meaning of Lent," "Traditional Practices," "Modern Practices and Prayers," and "Daily Meditations" among others. Amazon, Aquinas and More and Leaflet Missal all three have The Essential Lenten Handbook listed so it should be a fairly standard item most places that carry Catholic books.

I might suggest: St. Francis de Sales - An Introduction to the Devout Life. I plan to re-read it myself during Lent.

For during Lent reading there’s a book called '‘Considerations and Devout Meditations for Every Day During the Holy Season of Lent’ with a meditation for every day of it.

Before it… meditatation on the Passion certainly… the early days of it…

Why not St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori’s ‘The Passion and the Death of Jesus Christ’?

It is hard to find in paperback these days since Our Lady of the Rosary Library appears to have stopped printing it for charity, but it is a priceless book to buy, and the etext is quite readable for meditations.

I’d suggest taking a portion of a chapter for meditative prayer a day of it or some similar work on the Passion or a related work of mortification and penance. :smiley:

Speaking of St. Francis de Sales, he also has a book of Sermons for Lent which makes for nice lenten reading.

Journey Towards Easter: Retreat Given in the Vatican in the Presence of Pope John Paul II by now Pope Benedict XVI.

Also The Way of the Cross by Pope Benedict XVI.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Now I have reading for several lenten seasons to come!

Peace,

Mike

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.