In Synod-Related Effort, Homosexual-Rights Activists Target Eight U.S. Bishops

In Synod-Related Effort, Homosexual-Rights Activists Target Eight U.S. Bishops

A coalition of well-funded groups is lobbying against prominent bishops in hopes of changing Church doctrine and practice.

by KEVIN JONES/CNA/EWTN NEWS 10/15/2014

ROME — The start of the Extraordinary Synod of Bishops on the Family has triggered a wave of activism from well-funded LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered) activist groups in the U.S., who are targeting “outspoken” Catholic bishops in hopes of changing Catholic practice and moral doctrine.

“Most important is the opportunity to create a precedent for change,” the Human Rights Campaign said in its pamphlet on the synod.

The LGBT group has announced an activist effort targeting eight bishops in a pamphlet that labels them as “the best of the worst Catholic bishops across the country.”

(read more)

I know that some accuse Catholics of being paranoid about a “gay agenda” that seeks to change Catholic teaching rather than simply to foster a “live and let live” attitude. But when you come across stories like this, it’s hard not to be paranoid.

The Human Rights Campaign should mind their own business and stay out of it. They clearly don’t understand the difficulties involved and why it’s even an issue that’s being discussed. This is in no way a secular issue and the Church can’t be “lobbied”.

Indeed. It is kind of sad to see groups treating the Church as though it is a political body that can be moved this way and that through lobbying efforts. :frowning:

“Among the Human Rights Campaign’s corporate partners are large corporations like American Airlines, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Bank of America, Northrop Grumman, Chevron, Lexus, Goldman Sachs, Coca-Cola and PepsiCo.”

From the NC Register story.

It seems that there are quite a few “lobbying groups” involved in this campaign, especially targeting bishops seen as not friendly to the LGBT agenda, including some Catholic groups. This is a very big push to influence the Church.

I’m pro-gay rights for the most part and even I’m disgusted by this. Only the Holy Spirit can change anything about the Church. If you want change, you pray. If that doesn’t work, you pray more.

It is unfortunate that they could only find eight bishops to target. :frowning:

I was going to respond with an emoticon, but I can’t find one that suitably expresses what I need it to.

Sincerely I don’t understand how people still argue that “no one” is pressuring the church to do anything. I agree that there are many individual persons who are homosexuals that do not want to pish anything into anyone but it is clear that there is one gay activist and very powerful group who is indeed pressuring not only the church but trying to shovel homosexuality down people’s throat.

To be fair, I’m sure it’s a matter of the lobby group having to limit their focus for practical considerations rather than only being able to find 8 bishops who speak about the issue. They are distributing materials and holding events in the cities of these 8 bishops. That takes money and manpower.

I suspect that you are right, but lets pray that it will inspire the others to try harder.

The bishops can make it an unofficial competition amongst each other to get on the “Top 8” list for next year’s synod. :stuck_out_tongue:

A question I’ve asked about 55555 times to myself, again, why do they care what the Church teaches? Clearly they don’t care… unless they did… which… circular reasoning? Agh! What interest do they have in changing the Church’s teachings? If they don’t believe them they don’t believe them, I don’t see the personal strife here. I would never lobby an organization to change its beliefs, I’d feel like a fraud. If I were truly convinced that I were right, I’d go do my own thing. Of course I’m not trying to make people leave the Church, I’m just trying to inject some consistency into this thing. Again, why do they care?

I cannot believe the galling logical inconsistency here! It’s astounding. It would seem–of course I can’t read minds–that these people will not stop until the entire world looks just how they want it to. In a manner of speaking they are just up-to-date bigoted racists with the face of compassion.

brain=poof

I had to stop reading about this… it was causing me to sin… I hope I don’t see people protesting my Archbishop (Archbishop Chaput); I’m afraid that seeing them protest will lead me to sin. :mad:

:rotfl:

No if it doesn’t work for you, you’re probably wrong…

They care precisely because they know the church is right. The people behind this do know that the church is the rightful church by Christ and they hold the truth and that is why the church is the enemy and that is why they have the fight and destroy the church because they don’t want people to know the true and they want to destroy society. My old spiritual director used to say, do you want to know when something is truly from God? When the devil is constantly in there fighting to destroy it.

Well I’m afraid you’re going to have to try real hard because, yes, he is one of those mentioned.

I’m afraid that we are in the midst of post-Humanae vitae 2.0, barf, gross, disgusting, lost my lunch. Oh well.

Who do we trust?

Post deleted.

Yeap. I know he’s on their list… that’s why I hope I don’t see them.

Please pray for me and other Faithful Catholic in Philadelphia and the other cities that we will handle the protesters without committing sin.

Even if they don’t think the Church is true, having 1.2 billion people suddenly compelled to accept your lifestyle as good and holy would certainly be appealing.

And yes, much of progressive ideology is hypocritical.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.