In the Bible: How many generations does Blessings and/or Curses last?

I know it is written in the Bible somewhere, but do you know if God casts a blessing or curse on a man, how many of his succeeding generations will inherit it?

It seems that the OT says a lot of things to deter us from sins. So, the persistence of curses should make us think about that. how would that work? well, the curse that would persist for generations is written from the vantage point of looking at the current generation. So how would this affect subsequent generations?

I can’t answer in general but I know how alcoholism back at my grandfather’s generation had an effect on his kids and then on my generation. That first generation of kids didn’t get along very well and resentments have lingered down to my generation – there’s still no peace in the family.

So, I can see how the Bible narrative plays out even over the last 100 years in my family.

‘The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.’
Numbers 14:18

Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations,
Deuteronomy 7:9

You probably unterstood. The first one refers to curses, so to say and the second one to blessings.

To add to my previous family example, there have been a couple shotgun weddings over the years and there’s been a lot of mockery about that. Is there such a thing as good mockery? It has set family members against other family members. It’s hard to call this good-natured kidding. It’s been divisive and hurtful for decades.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.