In the ear of the beholder

Romney stirred up a bit of controversy a 'joke' yesterday. Apparently, not everybody sees it the same:

"No one's ever asked to see my birth certificate," a smiling Romney told a rally of some 7,000 people in his home state of Michigan.

"They know that this is the place that we were born and raised," he said to the laughter of the crowd, speaking alongside his wife, Ann.

Certainly, Obama has joked about the issue himself, but there is an degree to which being able to laugh at oneself is different from having someone else joke about one's nationality. So, was it an innocent joke, a flubbed attempt to be amiable, or something more?

Source

This can be interpreted either way, depending on your political leaning.

Since I’ll be voting for Romney, I found it clever, if not a “dig” but really don’t care.

For Obama supporters, they can cry about it if they want.

Really who cares?

I'm not an Obama supporter, but I do think it was tacky. But then, I don't expect better from either candidate or their camps, this year. It's going to be a long time 'til November.

[quote="fastenatingguy, post:2, topic:296447"]
This can be interpreted either way, depending on your political leaning.

Since I'll be voting for Romney, I found it clever, if not a "dig" but really don't care.

For Obama supporters, they can cry about it if they want.

Really who cares?

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Romney said on cbs

‘No, no, (it’s) not a swipe. I’ve said throughout the campaign and before, there’s no question about where he was born. He was born in the US. This was fun about us, and coming home. And humor, you know—we’ve got to have a little humor in a campaign’

cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57500130/romney-says-birther-joke-wasnt-a-swipe-at-obama

Obama has joked about birth certificate

Obama campaign does not get to take the high ground over a joke when they have accused Romney of being a felon, super pac alleging Romney was responsible for Joe Soptic’s wife dying from cancer, Obama saying republicans want dirty air and water

Romney has Donald Trump, the king of the birther’s endorsing him, so the statement comes across a shot at Obama’s ethnicity, no two ways about it.

Every time I take a 4th and 5th look at Romney to find a person who deserves my vote, he provides reasons why I shouldn’t.

BTW, Romney is talking about the possibility of having to send troops into Syria, because they may have WMD’s.

Sound familiar ?

Jim

Obama is talking about sending troops into Syria right now if they use chemical weapons.

[quote="JimR-OCDS, post:6, topic:296447"]
Romney has Donald Trump, the king of the birther's endorsing him, so the statement comes across a shot at Obama's ethnicity, no two ways about it.

Every time I take a 4th and 5th look at Romney to find a person who deserves my vote, he provides reasons why I shouldn't.

BTW, Romney is talking about the possibility of having to send troops into Syria, because they may have WMD's.

Sound familiar ?

Jim

[/quote]

Why do you use marginalizing terminology? There would be no "birthers" to malign if the question was simply answered.

McCain's qualification for the presidency was investigated because he was born in Panama. Did you smirk at the senatorial "birthers" in McCain's case?

[quote="JimR-OCDS, post:6, topic:296447"]

BTW, Romney is talking about the possibility of having to send troops into Syria, because they may have WMD's.

Sound familiar ?

Jim

[/quote]

[quote="ricks1948, post:7, topic:296447"]
Obama is talking about sending troops into Syria right now if they use chemical weapons.

[/quote]

:rotfl:

As I've pointed out many a time, when it comes to war, the parties are pretty close. There certainly isn't a big enough difference from a Catholic standpoint.

EDIT ADD: Btw...what does this have to do with the birth certificate comment? Was one of them possibly born in Syria or something? I hadn't heard that. ;)

[quote="po18guy, post:8, topic:296447"]
Why do you use marginalizing terminology? There would be no "birthers" to malign if the question was simply answered.

McCain's qualification for the presidency was investigated because he was born in Panama. Did you smirk at the senatorial "birthers" in McCain's case?

[/quote]

You're trying to tell is that there were birthers in McCain's case who made the headlines like the birthers in Obama's case?

Obama presented short and long forms. The State of Hawaii confirmed Obama's birth and countless numbers of reporters and politicians have investigated the fact that he was born in Hawaii. They have all accepted the fact that Obama was born in Hawaii.

The only one's holding on to the birther claim seem to be people who have a problem with Obama's race.

Nothing else explains their motivation for pushing the issue like nothing we've seen before.

Jim

The remark was a pointed one meant to show that there was nothing questionable behind Mr. Romney's birth certificate, as opposed to the excessive media coverage Mr. Obama receieved regarding his, I didn't think too much of this remark, I didn't see it as a "below the belt" kind of statement that most polticians engage in.

God Bless

[quote="rlg94086, post:9, topic:296447"]
:rotfl:

As I've pointed out many a time, when it comes to war, the parties are pretty close. There certainly isn't a big enough difference from a Catholic standpoint.

EDIT ADD: Btw...what does this have to do with the birth certificate comment? Was one of them possibly born in Syria or something? I hadn't heard that. ;)

[/quote]

Yes your right, just rambling along with posts, the title I guess leaves it up to the ear of the beholder. :whistle:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.