In the face of horror, faith in action

In the Face of Horror, Faith in Action (3085)
A day after the massacre at Sandy Hook School, Newtown’s Catholic community gathered at St. Rose of Lima Church to offer prayers and support for the victims and their mourning families and for their heartbroken town.

Read more: ncregister.com/daily-news/in-the-face-of-horror-faith-in-action/#ixzz2FHdCTmKw

My thoughts and prayers are with all involved and I’m glad that this parish can be a source of comfort to those affected.

My heart goes out to all of them. My heart breaks and I wasn’t even directly involved in anything, so I cannot imagine the grief that town is feeling as they go about laying some of these children to rest today. :frowning: May God give them all comfort and peace in their hearts as they continue to move forward.

same here
well said

I received this email today, and wanted to pass it along:

Twas’ 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38,
When 20 beautiful children entered heaven’s gate.
Their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
They could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.

They were filled with such joy, they didn’t know what to say.
They remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
“Where are we?”, asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
“Heaven!” said a small boy, “This Christmas we’re at God’s house.”

When what to their wondering eyes did appear,
But Jesus, their savior, and the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
Then He opened His arms and He called them by name.

And in that moment was joy that only heaven can bring.
Those children all flew into the arms of their King.
And as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
One small girl turned and looked at Jesus’ face.

And as if He could read all the questions she had,
He gently whispered to her, “I’ll take care of mom and dad.”
Then He looked down on earth, the world far below,
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow and woe.

Then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
“Let My power and presence re-enter this land!”
“May this country be delivered from the hands of fools.”
“I’m taking back my people, and the kids in my schools!”

Then He and the children stood up without a sound,
“Come now my children, let me show you around.”
Excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran,
All displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.

And I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
“In the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT.”

Please honor these “innocents” by remembering them and also their brave teachers who gave their lives to save so many of their beloved students. Pray for their families that they may know their children are in the hands of a loving God.

Pray also to end the daily horror and sin of abortion. In our country alone, 2000 children daily are killed. God designed a mother’s womb to be the safest place for a child, aside from Heaven.

Remember also the “holy innocents” on December 28. Matthew 2:16-18

The Massacre of the Infants

16 When Herod saw that he had been tricked by the wise men,[a] he was infuriated, and he sent and killed all the children in and around Bethlehem who were two years old or under, according to the time that he had learned from the wise men.** 17 Then was fulfilled what had been spoken through the prophet Jeremiah:

18 ‘A voice was heard in Ramah,
wailing and loud lamentation,
Rachel weeping for her children;
she refused to be consoled, because they are no more.’**

The feast of the Holy Innocents has a special meaning this year in our country.

A Lutheran group is helping survivors in a unique way.

10 Golden retrievers sent to comfort Newtown survivors
news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/golden-retrievers-sent-comfort-newtown-survivors-220213316.html

Lutheran Church Charities deployed about 10 of the canines Saturday evening for residents who want to pet them while they talk or pray with the dog’s handler, said Tim Hetzner, president of the Addison-based organization.

“Dogs are non-judgmental. They are loving. They are accepting of anyone,” Hetzner said. “It creates the atmosphere for people to share.”

When the charities’ dogs are not responding to a national tragedy, they will often visit people in hospitals, nursing homes and parks. Each dog carries a business card with its name, Facebook page, twitter account and email so those that meet the canine can keep in touch

“The dogs have become the bridge,” said Lynn Buhrke, 66, who is a dog handler for a female golden retriever named Chewie. “People just sit down and talk to you.”

articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-12-17/news/chi-local-comfort-dogs-taken-to-connecticut-after-school-massacre-20121216_1_dog-handler-comfort-dogs-dogs-plan

One of the handlers said was easy to spot individuals who were really struggling, because they would just pet the dog and not say a word.

That is very sweet.

“Jesus wept”. This has been profoundly sad

Yes, the sadness is unending. So many deaths, and such young, innocent lives. :frowning:

It is hard to know what to do with our grief, other than pray. Yet that does not alleviate our sense of loss and sorrow. Perhaps we shouldn’t expect it to. Perhaps we are expected to shoulder this pain, to carry it and learn from it. But it is hard.

This is a link to Deacon Greg Kandra’s blog* The Deacon’s Bench*

The following comes from the priest’s sister:
My friends,
All of you, I am sure, have heard so much about the tragedy in Newtown, CT. Many of you have received emails from me about my younger brother, Father Luke Suarez, who is a priest at St. Rose of Lima parish, a Catholic church just down the road from Sandy Hook Elementary. He, and his pastor, Monsignor Weiss, arrived at the school within moments of the shooting, and have been caring for the community ever since. The picture I have included was taken at the school.
patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2012/12/pray-for-this-priest/

I’d seen the picture and wondered about the young priest and how he was coping. There is an address to send cards to Fr Luke. He’s requested prayers as well. There is no way anyone could be prepared for such horror. I hope that the families and community is consoled by their faith.

Lisa

I’m going to send him one of my cards. I have one stamp left. I think that’s a sign.

I’ve known Father Bob(Wiess) for twenty years he took my former parish which was dying and rebuilt it into a thriving one.He provided me much comfort at my fathers death.
This was a first step in my reversion to the Church from Athesism.
We were heart-broken when he left for St Roses
but. I believe it was the holy spirit that guided the Church to have a man like this to lead this parish at a this time.
If anyone could help bind up the wounds of our neighbors in Newtown its this Holy Pastor

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.