In the name of Jesus

I hear Protestants praying or ending prayers with 'in the name of Jesus"

Why dont they say ‘In the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit’?

I’ve heard the same, I do not know. In fact its common no?

Because of what Jesus said, as recorded in John 14:13-14, 15:15-16, and 16:23-26.

It is important to remember that “In the Name of Jesus” is not a magic formula for getting whatever you are asking for. It states that you are acting in His Name, as His agent. You have tried to discern His Will in the matter and are asking for what you think is His desire in the situation. You will accept correction for any error in your understanding of it.

So don’t be surprised if the answer is not what you expected. :wink:

Do Catholics ever say it at end of prayers?

:thumbsup:

I can speak only for myself, but I usually end my prayers with the expression used to end the prayers in the Mass, words to the effect: “I ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ Your Son, Who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.”

I used to be a protestant, and I would not be uncomfortable using the Protestant formula, “. . . in Jesus Name, amen.” But I have just gotten used to the other.

I ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ Your Son, Who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever, Amen,

Thats how I usually end my prayers too,

You will accept correction for any error in your understanding of it. http://www.nling.info/g.gif

I ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ Your Son, http://www.filii.info/g.gif

I don’t really think that God gets upset and falls off His throne because someone ends his prayers one way and someone else ends his prayers another way.

Is it true that Protestants also say “I baptise you in the name of Jesus”?

Jesus said to baptise “In the name of the Fath. Son and HS”

The Oneness Pentecostals and, I believe, the various splinters of the Church of Christ baptise only in the name of Jesus. Most of the Protestant denominations baptise using the trinitarian formula.

As a former protestant, I still use the “in Jesus name” line. Usually followed by the sign of the cross with “In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit”.

I would be concerned about anyone who doesn’t use the trinitatian formula for baptisms. Most main line protestant and evangelical churches use the trinitarian formula.

In Lutheran worship, this is a quite typical way to end a prayer - the Collect, for example, or the Prayer of the Church.

In non-liturgical settings, I would think that most Lutherans would end with, “in Jesus name we pray, Amen”, and that’s because we often begin prayer with, “Dear Heavenly Father”. In private prayer, I often start with, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen”

Jon

Here is one.

In the name of Jesus, I bind you any spirit attacking _____________ that is not of the Holy Spirit, and send you to the foot of the cross, to be judged by Our Lord.

For more info:
youtube.com/watch?v=3PDhwEGNbb4

I usually end my prayers with “In Jesus’s name, amen.” And I would have to say, yes in my experiences most protestants end prayers in a similar way. Though now I sometimes start and end my prayers with “In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy spirit, amen.” There was One style of prayer that I only heard some protestants use that I never understood and was strange to me, even when I was a protestant. I went somthing like this
“Father God, I just want to thank you Father God for this day Father God. Please bless us all Father God as we gather to read your word Father God. We Lift up (so-and-so) to you Father God, and ask that you bless them Father God.” And it just kind of goes on like that. :shrug:

I usually address my prayers to the Father and end them with “in Jesus’ name,” since it is only through Jesus that we come to the Father.

I think that some denominations and cults have a “name fetish” (non sexual).

Like the Jehovah Witnesses, they seem to think the word Jehovah is magical, and have their own special bible that uses the name Jehovah everywhere possible.

The United Pentecostals who baptise “in Jesus’ name” only.

Messianic “Jews” who are attached to the hebrew like Yashua and Yahweh.

I used to live in a city that was home to a cult named the “House of Yahweh”. There were two brothers competeing for the head position, one murdered the other and he is in prison, and that cult ended.

I have debated with JWs and I asked them “since their is only one God, why does he need a name, what other “Gods” does he compete with?”.

Why the need to worship a name? Just worship the One God in Trinity and Unity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.