In the Wild, Goldfish Turn From Pet to Pest

The problem arises when the “new” species has no natural predators, as in Australia. That would not be true most places.

ICXC NIKA

No, that’s not really the case. Natural predators have to establish a ballance with thier prey. Plus there are often unforeseen consequences. Cheat grass is eaten by livestock and game yet it has played a huge part in the destructive fires in the western us. It’s invasive. Or simply look at your lawn. Those pesky yellow weeds you hate? Not native. Someone thought they were pretty and brought them into an ecosystem. Crops are damaged, lawns ruined. Etc.

I’m no goldfish expert but I don’t know what a predator if goldfish looks like. Maybe other fish or birds, but what happens when it gets out of control?

A snail is responsible for millions of dollars of government spending and billions of dollars of damage to the ag industry in my state. A snail. And a muscle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.