In this entire universe, why are humans that special in God's eyes?

A huge universe, where a tiny planet is called Earth, the human specie is so important in God’s eyes, that he even sent his son to die for it.

What made humans so special? Is it God? or the egoist rise in humans?

Did God create a hierarchist world where angels are more important than humans and humans are more important than animals, if ETs exist, are they less or more important than humans? If they are equal to humans in God’s eyes, did he also sent his son JESUS to die for them as well?

But then, if there is no hierarchy in God’s creation, then all living beings are equal in their importance which doesn’t make any sense in religion.
If there is a hierarchy, then how would this be just, when God favors one of his creations over another simply because they got the chance to be born in the right specie.

We are made by God, in his image. And he took on our flesh and became part of the human condition. This is what dignifies humanity.

You are one of a kind. Although just another of ten billion others, you are irreplaceable in your existence as yourself. Since we are all incarnations of mankind, I think that makes each person special.

The posters above answered you well. We, as humans, are endowed with the image and likeness of God, intellect, and free will. This dignifies us over all other created things (and if aliens exist who also have the image and likeness of God, and intellect, and a free will, they too share this dignity).

You are confusing “fairness” with “justice”. Nowhere did God say "life shall be fair.’ Nowhere does the Church teach that life is fair.

God creates beings in a particular hierarchy, and that is ENTIRELY His prerogative. God has no obligation to make us with the same abilities or distribute gifts fairly. He often does, however, and that is a sign of His infinite goodness.

Excuse me, but where is the “infinite goodness” in life being unfair?

Where is it not? How, exactly, is infinite goodness equivalent to infinite fairness?

You need to prove that.

What does “unfair” mean?

Because we are made in His image and likeness.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that those who believe in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16. Certainly makes me feel pretty special.

Just to add to this:

Even if the world were 1billion times bigger than what it is, we would still be infinitely small given the infinity of the Universe. Size (space) is relative.

Significance has nothing to do with size unless you value quantity more than quality.

What made humans so special? Is it God? or the egoist rise in humans?

If you don’t regard the human race as special you reject the Universal Declaration of Human Rights - and egoistically estimate your opinion as extra special!

Did God create a hierarchist world where angels are more important than humans and humans are more important than animals, if ETs exist, are they less or more important than humans?

Your questions are false dilemmas and the hierarchy exists in your imagination: “Ethics is nothing other than Reverence for Life. Reverence for Life affords me my fundamental principle of morality, namely, that good consists in maintaining, assisting and enhancing life, and to destroy, to harm or to hinder life is evil.” - Albert Schweitzer
[LEFT] All forms of life are important because they are interdependent.
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

If they are equal to humans in God’s eyes, did he also sent his son JESUS to die for them as well?

It is quite possible but ETs may well have been liberated from evil in other ways. Do you reject the reality of evil?

But then, if there is no hierarchy in God’s creation, then all living beings are equal in their importance which doesn’t make any sense in religion.
If there is a hierarchy, then how would this be just, when God favors one of his creations over another simply because they got the chance to be born in the right specie.

Another false dilemma! Are you guilty of favouritism because you treat people differently from animals? There is no such thing as the right species any more than there is the right type of fruit or vegetable.

This question right here is part of why im no longer Christian. Most of us just happen to be smarter than any other species on this planet, we arnt special otherwise.

OP, let me take a slightly different approach. The answers above are good and definitely Catholic. Let’s add another dimension. You are right to point out the vastness of Creation, but remember that we know very little of it - this tiny planet called Earth. What we do not know (yet) is how much He loves the rest of the Universe.

We can only speak to our gifts - the gift of Creation, of fellowship to the Lord, of authority and dominion over the Earth and all that lives in it, and of forgiveness, mercy, and Grace. The most precious gift of Jesus Christ, His Ministry, His Church, His Sacrifice upon the Cross and His Victory over Satan. The promise of Jesus Christ to those who love Him, Eternal Life with the Lord and the companionship of the Holy Spirit to deliver us there.

But we know almost nothing of what our Lord God gave the rest of the Universe. We therefore cannot speak to our being uniquely special, but rather special in a unique way. To put it another way, a father loves each of his children uniquely, according to who they are and what they need. He may love a daughter in a different way from a son, or a younger child differently from an elder, but there is no question of his love being special for all of them, and unique to each without being less special. Likewise, Our Father loves us in a special and unique way, not because of anything we have done, but because of He who created us, and He loves all His Creation in the way that He is and the way that He chooses to.

So that said, I think it won’t help to understand God’s actions by saying “Here’s this Universe, why are humans singled out for being so special”, but rather we should ask “What is it about God that makes Him so giving towards us?”

Specific points:

We know from Scripture that Jesus Christ is loved most of all by God and occupies the place of most importance (Matt 28:18). Because the Lord Jesus Christ shared in our humanity, we share in his divinity, and humans are adopted children of the Living God. So humans have the first place in receiving the Love of the Father, then angels and animals (Heb 1:5,13, Rom 8:17, Gen 1:26-28). I think viewing it as a hierarchy may not be helpful because a hierarchy implies a certain consistency between objects on the same level and a sense of ownership of objects from the lower level to those above, and I don’t see those relationships being consistent between, say a hierarchy of responsibility and a hierarchy of salvation. For example, if we ask “who is responsible for whom?” we can answer that angels take care of humans and humans take care of animals. But in the hierarchy of salvation, humans rely upon God, and animals have no possibility of salvation (nor of damnation, because they don’t have souls).

No, because only humans have the capacity to be redeemed. Animals do not have immortal souls, and do not have the ability to commit sin, so no redemption is necessary. It is thought (and I’d have to dig up citations) that angels have the same kind of soul as humans (ie, different from animals) but that they do not have the ability to be redeemed - rejection of God (which is what sin is) results in expulsion from Heaven.

If I think of something has being important, I think of it in terms of mattering for some purpose. A hammer is important for driving nails and matrix algebra important for calculating eigenvalues, but I cannot compare them in terms of importance outside of their tasks - ie, neither will help me read a text in Spanish.

If I think of how God views a being as being important, it’s with respect to what that being means in the order of Creation. Plants are important for feeding animals, animals for providing for humans (arguably, before the Fall, Adam and Eve were vegetarians and did not actually eat the animals because there was no death), humans for worshipping the Lord and keeping fellowship with Him. So as I said above, God loves all His Creation in different ways unique according to the Created being.

I suppose in the same way that it’s not unjust that I didn’t teach my dog to drive or send her to college when she turned 3. I’m sorry if that comes off as silly; I don’t see any disfavor being given to other species. Why was Jesus offered for the sins of humanity, but not of cows or beetles or monkfish? Because only humans can sin. Why did God make humans in His Image and likeness but not rabbits or Yersinia Pestis? Because He desired to. Why does God offer eternal fellowship to Man but not to ferrets? He created us uniquely with the intent of being able to experience that fellowship, though I wouldn’t argue that He doesn’t take delight in ferrets. God made ferrets to be playful, cows to moo, beetles to tick and monkfish to … umm… er… do whatever monkfish do. Cows may be perfectly happy being cows, and I actually doubt they have the capacity to know what they’re missing by not being human, and I’ve met dogs who are more people-like than some humans.

There’s certainly not a balance but I wouldn’t call that unfair; this is one of those times when things are as they are for the reason that they don’t exist otherwise.

But we are the only ones who write books. If other higher species could do the same I think it is very likely that they would claim our spot.

The op is arguing the copernican principle over the anthropic principle. Both are branded as strict science, yet they are not. They seek to provide warring paradigms about how the universe is to be perceived regarding man. Thus, they are philosophic principles. One is not better than the other. The copernican principle states that we live in some cosmic backwater, and that because of our size relative to the universe, that our lives have no meaning. Size is not an adequate indicator of dignity. Bad argument. It is a decent principle as it goes for comparing ourselves to an enormous universe, and helps to direct human attention to the universe itself (away from man), but leads back to man ultimately. If man did not evolve on this planet and wasn’t capable of studying the universe in the first place, there would be no copernican principle.

Isn’t it beautiful and incredible that we live in this cosmic backwater, and are capable of studying this gorgeous universe? Man is truly the most amazing thing I have ever studied, even when compared with the many items of theoretical physics!

I edited to say this: to argue the copernican principle against the anthropic principle is the equivalent of saying that physical science is better than medical science, because physical science directs one’s attention to a larger cosmos, and medical science is smaller and more specific in comparison (and it studies minuscule and mediocre man, when it could study the grand and beautiful cosmos). Hopefully that is not what the op intended to imply.

Size doesn’t matter; it’s completely relative in the physical universe, in fact. Everything is God’s handiwork; He has the same relationship with a single atom as He does with the entire universe.

So we are the only ones intelligent enough to write books, what does that prove? they have taught monkeys and dolphins to read, and every pack of dolphins has an individual language so if they had thumbs they could potential write. I just find the idea that were are divinely chosen because we happen to be the smartest kind of self centered.

My point was that we are self-promoting.

Totally agreed then

It is a mistake not to be self-promoting if we have some talent to promote. To pretend we are worthless and insignificant is false modesty which is a form of deceit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.