"in union"

I’ve been reading the NT and time after time Paul refers to the faithful as being “in union” with Christ. What does this mean? Does it mean baptism? Did they have the Eucharist then?

thank you;)

It means unity in a variety of ways.

Through baptism (1 Corinthians 12:13, Galatians 3:27)
In communion (1 Corinthians 10:16-17)
Death and Resurrection (Romans 6:4)
United to God in Faith (Ephesians 4:5, Phil 1:27)
Following his example (1 Peter 2:21)

This is not all inclusive, just examples.

Hi!

(Yes, He does Rule!)

St. Paul is referencing the Body of Christ, the Church:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]4 For as in one body we have many members, but all the members have not the same office: 5 So we being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

(Romans 12:4-5)

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members; and all the members of the body, whereas they are many, yet are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Gentiles, whether bond or free; and in one Spirit we have all been made to drink. 14 For the body also is not one member, but many. (1 Corinthians 12:12-14)

20 And not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me; 21 That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one: 23 I in them, and thou in me; that they may be made perfect in one: and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast also loved me. (St. John 17:20-23)

29 For no man ever hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, as also Christ doth the church: 30 Because we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife, and they shall be two in one flesh. 32 This is a great sacrament; but I speak in Christ and in the church. (Ephesians 5:29-32)
…and they did have the Eucharist, though it was not called Eucharist then:

41 They therefore that received his word, were baptized; and there were added in that day about three thousand souls. 42 And they were persevering in the doctrine of the apostles, and in the communication of the breaking of bread, and in prayers…

46 And continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they took their meat with gladness and simplicity of heart;

(Acts 2:41-47)

20 When you come therefore together into one place, it is not now to eat the Lord’s supper…

23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread. 24 And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. 25 In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me. 26 For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come. 27 Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord. 30 Therefore are there many infirm and weak among you, and many sleep. (1 Corinthians 11:20-30)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Yes they did have the Eucharist then. So it means to be in Christ’s body and have Christ’s spirit inside you.

John 6:56 “Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them”

John 15:4 “Abide in me as I abide in you”

John 15:4 “If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you”

John 6:63 “The words that I have spoken to you are spirit”

:hmmm: Is it barely possible, do you think, that Jesus Christ founded the sacraments and gave them to his Apostles to give to the Church, so that they existed from the very beginning??? :hmmm:

Hi!

…not barely possible… it is what actually transpired!

…what is missing, from 2000 yrs removed understanding, is that the Church is organic: she developed throughout time… as she developed Doctrine followed practice; that’s why we have first Oral Teaching then the Written Teaching, as well as the definitions and terminology of what was practiced…

Consider what transpired right from Pentecost… the Church was persecuted and the Twelve (along with the rest of the Believers) were commanded by the Jews to not use the name of Jesus; the Believers became Known as those of “the Way.” It was only several years later that the term “Christians” substituted the “Way.”

If the Church did not evolve (unfolded), instead of Christians we would be known as those of “the Way.” Yet, this would not reflect Scriptures:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]17 He, that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches: To him that overcometh, I will give the hidden manna, and will give him a white counter, and in the counter, a new name written, which no man knoweth, but he that receiveth it.

(Apocalypse 2:17)

16 And he hath on his garment, and on his thigh written: KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. (Apocalypse 19:16)
So, Jesus (the God that Saves), the Messiah (Christ), the King of kings and Lord of lords, Gives/Reveals His Name to His Disciples:

26 And I have made known thy name to them, and will make it known; that the love wherewith thou hast loved me, may be in them, and I in them.

(St. John 17:26)
So why did Christ’s Twelve did not become Known as “Christians” right from the get-go?:

16 Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven. 20 **Then he commanded his disciples, that they should tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ. **

21 From that time Jesus began to shew to his disciples, that he must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the ancients and scribes and chief priests, and be put to death, and the third day rise again. (St. Matthew 16:16-21)
It is not sheer luck that takes place; Revelation is on God’s Timetable and the Unfolding of God’s Salvific Plan will be done accordingly:

12 I have yet many things to say to you: but you cannot bear them now. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will teach you all truth. For he shall not speak of himself; but what things soever he shall hear, he shall speak; and the things that are to come, he shall shew you. 14 He shall glorify me; because he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it to you. 15 All things whatsoever the Father hath, are mine. Therefore I said, that he shall receive of mine, and shew it to you.

(St. John 16:12-15)
It is the Holy Spirit that will Bring the Church to the Fullness of Truth!

Remember Jesus’ Teaching on the indissolubility of the Sacrament of Matrimony? …His Disciples basically threw their hands up and exclaimed: '…it better for man not to get marry!" That would be one of those issues that they would have to be brought into understanding:

11 Who said to them: All men take not this word, but they to whom it is given.

(St. Matthew 19:16)
They did not understand the Call about that particular Vocation (the Sacrament of Matrimony) and He espoused it to the Priestly Vocation:

12 For there are eunuchs, who were born so from their mother’s womb: and there are eunuchs, who were made so by men: and there are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven. He that can take, let him take it.

(St. Matthew 19:12)
These two Sacraments are Given to us from Above; we engage them through Faithful Loyalty to God and we must Hold to the Vows Required of them: ‘that which God has Brought together let no man set it asunder!’

Yet, it would take time for the Church to develop her Doctrine–I would argue that it would necessitate time so that the Believers could come to understand the Fullness of Truth that would be Revealed by the Holy Spirit.

Just as the acorn holds the completeness of an oak tree, so did Christ’s Word Hold the Completeness of Revelation, which includes Apostolic Teaching (Oral and Written Tradition) and the Doctrine and Practice of the Church.

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.