In what Catholic age are you living?

from Catholic Exchange this morning
catholicexchange.com/2010/03/12/127985/
Lent is still lent but customs change according to time, place and culture

I was an ordinary modern. I did think the question at the end about when we can enjoy things given up for Lent was cute. Somehow it’s doesn’t seem like too much of a penance if we eat candy, watch TV, or whatever on Sundays. I remember as a girl that we had no candy or even things like syrupy pancakes during all of Lent (Sundays included). It certainly made that Easter basket a welcome sight! :smiley:

I guess I’m old-fashioned. Every Sunday a little Easter, even Sundays in Lent, and every Friday a little Lent, even Fridays outside of Lent. Now that I think of it, it reminds me of those little yin-yang symbols.

Friday, March 19, is the Solemnity of St. Joseph. Solemnities, also having the character of little Easters, means that one does not truly fast and is not bound to abstain from meat…not that we have to force-feed ourselves between-meal snacks, or anything, but a solemnity is a solemnity, and should be observed in some way, even during Lent. (This is why solemnities are always transferred when they fall during Holy Week.)

in my day if your pastor was Irish you also got a pass on St. Patrick’s day

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.