In which way differ the Amish and the Hutterite understanding of the Bible?

…is it purely an historical aspect and not so much another theology? I´m just curious. :slight_smile:

Not sure but found this on https://www.quora.com/How-do-Hutterites-Mennonites-and-Amish-differ :

Like the Amish, the Hutterites are community based, but they take it to a new level with a communal way of living, where the residents of the community all work together (commune style, like a kibbutz). The Amish while living in their own communities, own their own farms and businesses. Mennonite do have a sense of community, but not as much as the Amish or Hutterites.

Thank you! I´aware of the living structures, and especially among the amish it differs much from community to community. But I can´t find any source about the exegetic differences, if there are any. Both are very sola scritpura affine, the Hutterites also have their own preacher´s language as the amish have their dialect, but the faith practice and theology, there I have a blind spot.

Good post. I didn’t know about the Hutterites.

I’m just now reading a book about the Hutterites!

Both they and the Amish are Anabaptists.

Here is an excellent article:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01445b.htm

Unfortunately, we are unlikely to have either Amish or Hutterite members on our forum

I come from a Mennonite background, but I can’t really speak much in regards to the Hutterites.

My husband was raised in an Amish family. They left when he was 4 or so and became Mennonite then left that and basically drifted into a non-denom church. They (the Amish) are definitely Anabaptist. My husband wasn’t baptized till he was 16 or so.

I’ll read the catholic encyclopedia later today, sometimes those articles can be overwhelming on the first read through.

I did become interested in the christian communities that sprang up from Hamburg to Switzerland in the first times of the reformation. They have a complex historical setting since Germany wasn’t unified as a country at that time. And there were plenty of conflicts with wrong doing by both sides. I first became aware of these realities after reading the Imitation of Christ and researching some the history of Thomas of Kempis and how his monastery was geographically caught up in the conflict. It’s also an interesting issue if you look at today’s religious distribution in Germany (catholic/protestant) that is somehow the result of how those conflicts were settled (won and lost) in those times.

Me too… though it was more run of the mill contemporary evangelicals with Mennonite last names and food type Mennonite…
My wife’s rock band P&W style music megachurch is “Mennonite”…but the pastor’s last name (Funk) is pretty much the only tell tale sign.

I certainly wasn’t in a mega-church, but like the run of the mill country church. But other than that, my experience is pretty similar. It was more or less an average evangelical church with a mix of worship music and more traditional hymns.

It is not so much another theology.

They are very similar in how the Bible is viewed. They take “holding all things in common” seriously.
All meals are communal. The Huttetites live in community, but do not eschew modern technology, and hold jobs outside in “the world” as Amish do.
The biblical call to simplicity and being in the world but not of the world is very important.

I think you will find that only the Hutterites live communally and have all meals communally.

I don’t know much about the Amish other what I have seen in films .

Their lifestyle appeals to me .

I thought I had made that distinction.

There are a LOT of Amish and Mennonites who live where I do. Most of them farm, but some run small businesses, making furniture and such. One owns a very good slaughterhouse where people can take their deer to be processed.
The Amish and Mennonites are Anabaptists. The young men and women are not baptized until they are in their teens. They don’t have churches, they meet in members homes. It can be a bit surreal to go to the local Wal-Mart and see someone come out with what they purchased, toss the bags into a buggy (there is a hitching post there) and head home.

Sorry I don’t see the distinction within your post between the Amish and Hutterites regarding communal meals.
I just think that there is already so much confusion we may as well be accurate about these groups.

Here again I see inaccuracies that may as well be straightened out. They don’t become baptized because they are in their teens, they become baptised when they personally have made a decision to follow Christ and join the church. Amish join the church even though they do not have church buildings because to them the church is the group of people. The large percentage of Mennonites do in fact have church buildings.

Allow me to clarify, Huttetites have their meals communal, Amish do not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.