In your opinion what does it mean?

Dear friends in Christ

In YOUR opinion, what does it means to have a “Informed Conscience”

Is it even important?

God Bless you

Patrick

For me, it would mean well formed in the teachings of the church as a compass point.
And yes, it matters alot.

Its vitally important to have an informed mind and intellect so that the will can do the right thing and not sin and love God. I can’t think of anything more important.

Outside of any context, to me, it means having at least a minimum of basic understanding of virtue and morality. For example, respect for all life and respect for inalienable rights, the rule of just law, the golden and silver rules, moderation, etc…

Most of the above boils down to good formation at a young age. Parenting.

I never heard of informed conscience. BUT I know about formed conscience, and it is really important because an unformed conscience can’t make right judgment between right and wrong and may often fall in moral relativism. A formed conscience knows well right from wrong, objectively.

From the Catechism:
II. THE FORMATION OF CONSCIENCE

1783 Conscience must be informed and moral judgment enlightened. A well-formed conscience is upright and truthful. It formulates its judgments according to reason, in conformity with the true good willed by the wisdom of the Creator. The education of conscience is indispensable for human beings who are subjected to negative influences and tempted by sin to prefer their own judgment and to reject authoritative teachings.

1784 The education of the conscience is a lifelong task. From the earliest years, it awakens the child to the knowledge and practice of the interior law recognized by conscience. Prudent education teaches virtue; it prevents or cures fear, selfishness and pride, resentment arising from guilt, and feelings of complacency, born of human weakness and faults. The education of the conscience guarantees freedom and engenders peace of heart.

1785 In the formation of conscience the Word of God is the light for our path,54 we must assimilate it in faith and prayer and put it into practice. We must also examine our conscience before the Lord’s Cross. We are assisted by the gifts of the Holy Spirit, aided by the witness or advice of others and guided by the authoritative teaching of the Church.55

A Catholic needs to know and understand the teachings of the Church on faith and morals.

He can assent to teachings he does not fully understand out of obedience to the Church, which is the voice of Christ.

When we obey we have His peace, even though there be chaos all around us.

God acknowledges what people know and don’t know. Where much is given much is required.

I had never heard the phrase used in this way until I started studying the Catholic Church even though I’m a lifelong Christian, the idea is growing on me.

Thank you:)

Thanks!

AMEN, thanks:thumbsup:

OK;)

BUT what about what He GOD makes possible for one to know?:shrug:

God Bless you

PJM

THANK YOU:thumbsup:

As a FYI

I’m a now retied Catholic Catechist {teacher} with 20+ years of teaching and faith sharing experience with youths and adults, including 3 years with RCIA before retiring.

I discovered that quite often RCIA {Rites of Initiation for Christian Adults}; the NORMAL door for entry into the RCC, simply cannot cram 2,000 years of Faith beliefs and tradition into the times allotted, so I formulated a COMPLETELY FREE OF ALL COST HOME STUDY COURSE WITH 1 E-MAILED LESSON SENT EACH WEEK. I also anwser all faith related questions., for anyone desiring to learn a great deal more about our Faith beliefs and practices. ::slight_smile:

God Bless you, keep digging! Pray much!

Patrick {PJM}

An informed conscience is continually growing and not complacent. Complacency stops the formation.
We are a very complacent society, probably because we are prosperous and don’t think we need anything.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.