inappropriate gifts for children

Two of my kiddos had their birthday party yesterday w/ DH’s family. One of the uncles got them ‘pooh-dough.’ I’ll leave to the imagination just what that is. Needless to say, it is disgusting. Last year, one of our kids got the Gooey Louie game where you pick his nose. Equally disgusting. At the earliest convenience that my children sock these things away and forget about them, I throw them in the garbage. I would not even hand these down to our local food bank.

So how do I handle this? If they hadn’t already opened them, I would return them and give my kids the cash to get a mommy-approved gift. At this point, I’m willing to give them each the money anyway. But I don’t want to have a discussion about it w/ them b/c they’re apt to repeat it to family. My biggest problem is addressing the topic w/ DH’s family. He does not support me and he thinks it’s rude to throw away gifts and that I’m just being uptight and need to loosen up. So do I just keep it to myself, don’t even tell the kids and just frankly give them the cash and a trip to the store? I’m extremely annoyed that I may have to do this dance for many years to come, but I’m horrible at handling these topics delicately with family to avoid the whole nonsense in the future.

my apologies, meant to post this in family living

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

What a pickle. Don’t you hate these ticklish situations. I pray that your husband reconsiders this disagreement and works it out with you. :byzsoc:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.