"Incarnate Wisdom loved the cross from His infancy". (cf Wis 8.2)

1. Incarnate Wisdom loved the cross from His infancy. (cf Wis 8.2) At His coming into the world, while in His Mother’s womb, He received it from His eternal Father. He placed it deep in His heart, there to dominate His life, saying, “My God and My Father, I chose this cross when I was in Your bosom. (Ps 39.9) I choose it now in the womb of My Mother. I love it with all My strength and I place it deep in My heart to be My spouse and My mistress.” (cf Wis. 8.2)

2. Throughout His life He eagerly sought after the Cross. If, like a thirsting deer, (cf Ps 41.2) He hastened from village to village, from town to town; if with giant strides (cf Ps 18.6) He pursued his way towards Calvary; if He spoke so frequently of His sufferings and death to His apostles and disciples, (cf Mt 16.21; 17.12,22,23; 20.17- 19) and even to His prophets during his Transfiguration; (cf Lk 9.31) if He so often exclaimed, “I have longed for it with an infinite desire” (Lk 22.15); it was because all His journeying, all His eagerness, all His pursuits, all His desires were directed towards the Cross and because to die in its embrace was for Him the very height of glory and success. He espoused the Cross at His Incarnation with indescribable love. He sought it out and carried it with the utmost joy, throughout His whole life, which became but one continuous cross. After having made several efforts to embrace it in order to die upon it on Calvary, He asked, “How great is my distress until it is completed!” How am I hindered? What is delaying me? Why can I not embrace you yet, dear cross of Calvary? (Lk 12.50)

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Do we embrace the Cross as Christ did? Certainly Mary stood beneath the Cross of Christ and learned from Him and some of our saints have, learned from Jesus through Mary to “see” by faith that suffering can be a “gift”, as St. Mother Theresa of Calcutta wrote:

“ I wonder what the world would be like if there were not innocent people making reparation for us all…?

Today the passion of Christ is being relived in the lives of those who suffer. To accept that suffering is a gift of God.

Suffering is not a punishment. God does not punish. Suffering is a gift though like all gifts, it depends on how we receive it. And that is why we need a pure heart to see the hand of God in our suffering, to feel the hand of God, to recognize the gift of God in our suffering.

Suffering is not a punishment. Jesus does not punish. Suffering is a sign: a sign that we have come so close to Jesus on the cross, that He can kiss us, and show us that He is in love with us, by giving us an opportunity to share in His passion.

Suffering is not a punishment, not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God. He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. " St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta

4 Likes

Dear Maria Christi may I ask you for a prayer intention reminded to me by your thread to ask God to send grownups, whether they are parents or social workers, more charity and love towards children and end violence and abuse against children? I have read quite a few disturbing news about violence against children in various parts of the world and I am so troubled almost depressed.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting this.
I shrink from my crosses and whine and carry on, and this reminds me to put on my big-Christian pants and follow our dear Lord :smirk::heart::pray:t2:

3 Likes

Dear Mary,

Yes, there are many children (as well as adults) suffering from the violence and abuse of others-- from other children or adults. It is the obvious spread of evil in the world today. I will continue to pray with you for God’s Mercy on all of us. Remember, dear Mary, Jesus’ Words to his disciples the night before he died:

Let not your heart be troubled; be believing in God and believing in Me …” (Jn 14:1 ) and

“Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” (Jn 14:27) and

"I have told you this so that you might have peace in Me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” (Jn 16: 33)

It can be very depressing to look on the evil in the world but we need to keep “remaining” in Jesus, and in His Love and in His Word". Remember how Mary stood at the foot of His Cross and united herself with Him and offered herself with Him to the Father. She did not keep her attention on the cruelty of the crowd or the soldiers but kept her eyes on Jesus and listened to His Words prayerfully, , pondering all in her heart. Thanks for your reply and for your prayer request.

1 Like

Dear OScarlette,

Thanks for your reply. You are not alone in “shrinking” from the crosses we all encounter in this world. It is good for all, by God’s Grace, to remember Jesus’ words:

Then He said to all, “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

Without Him, we can do nothing, but with God, all things are possible. Courage, sister dear! With the Supernatural faith we were given at Baptism, let us pray for one another and for the Church, that we may carry our crosses lovingly, seeking to follow Jesus, as Mary and the saints have done.

1 Like

Wow. That is helpful. I wonder if St. Louis will be declared a Doctor of the Church.

1 Like

I’ve always loved this statue I have at home - the English Madonna. The Christ child sleeps upon Mary’s breast but in his tiny hands he clutches a gold cross. image

2 Likes

Dear patricius,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is so helpful to read this book and be blessed in hearing the Wisdom God has shared with His saints. He promised the Holy Spirit would bring us into ALL Truth, so He enables saints to write what is needed by the Church for centuries. There are many who would like to see St. Louis de Montfort declared a Doctor of the Church for he has written so well. Some paragraphs should call to mind not only the time in which St. Louis de Montfort lived, but those same words can also describe the condition of souls in every time and place!

Dear AngelusDomini,

Thanks for your reply and the lovely picture of your statue. I can understand why you love it - it is such a sweet portrayal of our Loving Mother and her Loving Child. I tried to view it more closely by “Zooming in” on the computer and it looks as if Mary’s right hand is holding His little foot, while cradling Him with her left hand and arm. He looks so precious with the cross in His Hand – the statue really fits the quote from St. Louis de Montfort : “Incarnate Wisdom loved the Cross from His infancy” (cf Wis 8:2)

1 Like

I, also, am praying to Mary for the grace to embrace my cross as well. But Our Lord–who especially wants us to trust in His Mercy-- is so compassiate with us that St. Therese says this, which helps me:

If God wants you to be as weak and powerless as a child, do you
think your merit will be any less for that? Resign yourself, then,
to stumbling at every step, to falling even, and to being weak in
carrying your cross. Love your powerlessness, and your soul will
benefit more from it than if, aided by grace, you were to behave
with enthusiastic heroism and fill your soul with selfsatisfaction (St. Thérèse of Lisieux by Those Who Knew Her, Christopher O’Mahony, Dublin: Veritas, 1975, p. 250).
https://www.kofc.org/un/en/resources/cis/cis307.pdf

2 Likes

Given that St. Louis DeMontfort’s teachings in True Devotion to Mary are officially recommended by the Papacy–St. John Paul II, for example (in Redemptoris Mater)–it is a little puzzling to me that he’s not a declared Doctor of the Church.

1 Like

Dear patricuius,

It does seem like this would be a good time for the Church to declare St. Louis de Montfort a “Doctor of the Church”. However, it is not surprising to me, dear brother, in so far as the Church takes a long time in making some decisions. I still hope that one day St. Louis De Montfort may be understood and appreciated by many more clergy and people. Popes have delegated certain responsibilities to others, and in the case of St. John Paul II, he may have simply trusted the Holy Spirit to accomplish in the Church whatever is best at the right time for naming a new “Doctor of the Church”. Only God knows for sure. :slight_smile:

Dear patricius,

Thanks for the beautiful quote from St. Therese of Lisieux! What a “spiritual giant” she is and how many other souls she has helped in writing about the “little way of Love” God gave her to practice and to teach us!

Ah, once again we see how beautiful God’s ways are in sharing His wisdom with His Saints.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.