Incarnation and Original Sin

Would Christ still have come to dwell among us in the Incarnation if Original Sin had not occurred??? The reason I ask is that I have heard but cannot find where people said that some of the Church Fathers said the Incarnation would have still occurred even without Original Sin. Any idea of the Fathers referred to??? Thanks and God Bless.

That sounds odd - I don’t think the Fathers would have said that the Incarnation would have happened without original sin (that is a theologically dubious - and maybe heretical - position).

Some of the Fathers did remark on the irony that the Incarnation happened as a result of sin, and man is (overall) better off as a result (as we pray at Easter, “Oh happy fault, which gained for us so great a Redeemer!”)

Maybe you heard a mixed up or confused version of this…

[quote=slinky1882]Would Christ still have come to dwell among us in the Incarnation if Original Sin had not occurred??? The reason I ask is that I have heard but cannot find where people said that some of the Church Fathers said the Incarnation would have still occurred even without Original Sin. Any idea of the Fathers referred to??? Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

If no one would have sinned, Christ would not have become man. The point of the Incarnation was to save man from sin and its consequences, which is death.

[quote=slinky1882]Would Christ still have come to dwell among us in the Incarnation if Original Sin had not occurred??? The reason I ask is that I have heard but cannot find where people said that some of the Church Fathers said the Incarnation would have still occurred even without Original Sin. Any idea of the Fathers referred to??? Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

I have heard it before that some people have brlirvrf that Christ would have still come. I think Duns Scotus, the 13th century theologian, was one of them. But it does not fit.

St. Thomas Auinas answers the question here.

ccel.org/a/aquinas/summa/TP/TP001.html#TPQ1A3THEP1

Col. 1:15-20 leads me to believe that Christ would still have become Incarnate even if we had never sinned. Since “all things were created through him and for him.”

[quote=Brown10985]Col. 1:15-20 leads me to believe that Christ would still have become Incarnate even if we had never sinned. Since “all things were created through him and for him.”
[/quote]

Christ is the second person of the Trinity. All things were created through him, but that does not mean that he had to become man for it to be made through him or for him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.