Incarnation question

Did Christ’s human nature come from Mary or from God? Was Christ simply “implanted” into Mary or did part, or all, of Christ’s human nature come from Mary?

Christ’s Human Nature and Flesh came from Mary. That is how Jesus is a **real **human, descendant of Adam and David.

The idea that Jesus was somehow implanted in Mary and was not a true man is a Gnostic heresy called Docetism.It is sometimes ignorantly espoused by a few of today’s protestants, however.

[quote=Axion]Christ’s Human Nature and Flesh came from Mary. That is how Jesus is a **real **human, descendant of Adam and David.

The idea that Jesus was somehow implanted in Mary and was not a true man is a Gnostic heresy called Docetism.It is sometimes ignorantly espoused by a few of today’s protestants, however.
[/quote]

If ALL of Christ’s Humanity came from Mary, than theoretically wouldn’t he be a “clone” of Mary? For example, how could he even be male seeing as Mary didn’t have a y chromosome, I know this sounds like I’m splitting hairs, but if all of Christ’s humanity came from Mary then he would have been identical to her? Doesn’t the mere fact that that Christ was male indicate that there was some input from God with respect to his human nature?

[quote=Axion]Christ’s Human Nature and Flesh came from Mary. That is how Jesus is a **real **human, descendant of Adam and David.

[/quote]

If ALL of Christ’s Humanity came from Mary, than theoretically wouldn’t he be a “clone” of Mary? For example, how could he even be male seeing as Mary didn’t have a Y chromosome, I know this sounds like I’m splitting hairs, but if all of Christ’s humanity came from Mary then wouldn’t he have been identical to her? Doesn’t the mere fact that Christ was male indicate that there was some input from God with respect to his human nature?

When God created Eve, He fashioned her from one of Adam’s ribs. (Genesis 2:21-22) Though Adam and Eve were different sexes, yet Adam could still say: “This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh…” (23)

I think something similar happened when Jesus’ human nature was created such that the new Adam, Jesus Christ, could also say of Mary, his mother and the new Eve: “This is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.