I’m curious about how those with incense allergies cope?
I’ve always been allergic. My first parish used a non-hypoallergenic incense, and whenever the incense came out, I lost my voice completely. Every time. (My parents were all freaked out the first time it happened). And once, when the incense holder (what is that called?) got too close, my throat started to close up and I was frantically struggling to breathe for several minutes.
All the churches now seem to use hypoallergenic incense, so I’ve not had to struggle for breath anymore. But I still get a severe headache, sore throat, and other allergy symptoms (even when I’m doped up with Benadryl)
When I finally got my confirmation, my priest had to get a special dispensation from the bishop, to confirm me on a regular Sunday, instead of the Easter Vigil (because of the incense)
How many of you out there are allergic to incense? How do you cope with it?
I mainly try to avoid it at ALL costs. I have a LONG history of numerous alleriges, which continue to get worse the more I am exposed (I have a lot of chronic health problems anyway)