Incense usage during mass

I am highly allergic to the incense that the church uses. How do I attend mass during Lent, Easter and other holy days where the use of incense is a normal practice? I don’t want to miss mass but I am getting tired of having asthma attacks during this time of year.

I would suggest two things (and may God bless you).

1. Sit as close to the back of the church (or as far away from the incense) as possible, and as close to a source of ‘outside’ air as you can. If necessary, excuse yourself and step outside at some point during the ‘incensing’ and then return once the air has had a chance to ‘settle’.
  2. Even more important: Wear a mask filter. Many people need to wear them for respiratory problems (including asthma); it need not be that conspicious especially in colder weather. Allergies are a legitimate medical reason to wear a mask. Ask your doctor or qualified medical professional where you can purchase one.

You could call the parish and ask which Mass is incense free. There is at least one I’m sure.

If you have to attend, offer your suffering up to God.

Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance, and endurance, proven character, and proven character, hope, and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us. (Rom 5:3-5)

The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if only we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him. I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us. (Rom 8:16-18)

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

The only time I have ever been around incense during Mass and not had a problem was during the easter service when I converted.

Subtle hint? :thumbsup:

I’d call and talk to your pastor and see about when they don’t use it.

Usually they are happy to work with people.

find where they keep incenser and fill it with water?

I call that more like a blow to the back of the head. God’s way of saying: “What took you so long?”:slight_smile:

Since we are changing churches due to moving I will talk to him.

I find if I use my inhalers prior to Mass then the incense does not bother me. A bit of preventative care;) .

I wonder if that was the hand of God.

Go to the cry room as soon as you see the priest walk out with the censer.

James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.