Incredible church being built

The first photo will make your jaw drop.

Every once in a while, Heaven reaches down to touch the earth.

That was clearly the case with architect Antoni Gaudi and his designs for a towering church – now a basilica – called Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain.

It has been described by journalists (including 60 Minutes) as one of the most extraordinary architectural feats in history.

Gaudi, who died in 1926, was a genius who sought, with the huge, astonishing structure, to glorify God.

So sophisticated were the designs that only now, with the most modern technology, can they seek to complete this basilica that has been been under construction for 128 years.

They called him “God’s architect.” His designs were as advanced as they were complicated. He saw space in a wholly different way, one that caused space to explode. It is said that there is the sensation, as one heads toward the altar and peers upward at branched, stone columns, of a forest – which is where he believed men were closest to the Lord.

It was Gaudi’s way of atoning to God for the sins of modern mankind, said a biographer.

Pope Benedict traveled to Spain to consecrate it as a basilica in 2010; it was the first Mass ever celebrated there, alive with an 800-member choir.

Oh, dear God! It’s beautiful! :clapping:

I remember watching the papal Mass in 2010; I thought at the time that I knew how the emissaries of Vladimir the Great must have felt when they saw Hagia Sophia.

:shrug: I don’t know, I think it’s kind of over the top…well, OK, REALLY over the top…

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

:shrug:

Not my thing, but I can see it being a big draw for some people…Cool that a Buddhist converted because of it though!

:thumbsup:

A good priest friend of mine always says that people spend their money and their time on what is important to them, and the fact that skyscrapers and sports arenas have replaced cathedrals as the largest and most expensive buildings in cities tells you all you need to know. I am happy that Barcelona is bucking that trend.

Oh, my goodness! That is so, SO beautiful!
True Beauty really is a means of evangelism.
Praise God!
To Jesus through Mary,
Joy

Wow, consider my jaw dropped

How beautiful!

No matter how expensive this breathtaking basilica might be, God is most certainly worth the price!

Asked about the extremely long construction period, Gaudi once replied, “My client is not in a hurry.”

:yup:

I pray for Antoni Gaudi’s canonization as this is a truly remarkable service for our Blessed Lord! It is clear to me that he was put on this earth to design a special project for a very special Client, indeed!

How much do you think the project costs?

I took this photo in 2008 when I visited Barcelona. We attended Mass in a side chapel. It is my favorite church in the world.

I hope they get the birthrate up over there so people will be able to fill it up…

Awesomeness!

I think it looks kind of organic so this balances the design in a very beautiful way. It has a “warmer” design the well known European gothic churches like Notre Dame and St. Patricks in NYC.

Spain has many beautiful churches that give a different flavor in their presentation than the rest of Europe.

San Juan Compostela is my very favorite Church design. I want to visit it one day.

An interesting architectural note:

In the photo, notice the main interior columns that branch off into several columns at the top. Those are actually interior flying buttresses! Gaudi figured out how to move them inside, so that the exterior facade of the cathedral would be more visible.

While I advocate strongly for ditching all the 60s and 70s (and newer) church architecture and returning to the beauty of Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque architecture, the Sagrada Familia does not grab me at all. :shrug:

Can’t find the words to describe it.

The architecture is hardly to my taste, but by golly, it inspires awe. :slight_smile:

We should always offer our best to God. God should have the greatest and most beautiful building in town, dedicated to him and in his service. The Sagrada Família Basilica is one such, grand and sacred space…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.