Indian Automaker to License New York Plant to Build Electric Cars

A new New York company plans to complete financing this year for a plant to produce electric cars and begin rolling out the three-door, plug-in hatchbacks in late 2010, the company chief executive said Friday.

The company will market at least two versions of the NXR that will come with a variety of options, including navigational and audio systems and climate control.

One model will operate on a lithium-ion battery and will be able to reach speeds of up to 65 mph with a range of 100 miles on a single household charge. It will cost between $20,000 and $25,000. A second city model would have a top speed of 50 mph, with a 50-mile range, on one charge of its cheaper lead-acid batteries. It would sell for about $17,000.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569197,00.html

Electric vehicle from India, for sale in Europe and to be manufactured in the US as well. - See this image on Photobucket.

The car is somewhat unusual in that it features an emergency charge, which will give the car an extra few miles just in case the driver runs out of juice.

Interesting. Since more than half of electricity in the U.S. is generated by fossil fuels, what are the eventual effects of replacing gas-burning cars with electric cars?

– Mark L. Chance.

From the story:

Gov. David Paterson said New York state is providing a $6.76 million package of grants and tax incentives to Bannon, and U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer said he is trying to help Bannon obtain $52 million in federal loans and loan guarantees.

Bannon will invest $26.5 million into the plant.

So will Bannon have $85.26 million in the plant or $26.5 million? If only $26.5 million are the US taxpayers funding $31.76 in improvements to a plant in another country?

The Obama Administration and Democratic Congress are big on funding energy improvements in other countries. We, OTOH, get cap and trade.

– Mark L. Chance.

According to the article, the plant will be built in Syracuse, NY.

I know where the plant will be built, According to the article they are getting $85.26 million in grants, government loans, and tax breaks. But the article states “Bannon will invest $26.5 million into the plant” so where is the rest of the money going?

It’s a very good point, but electric power plants are far more efficient in converting fuel to energy than automotive gasoline engines. That being said, the switch from gasoline another fuel source would eventually cause an increase in electrical demand, at least, from my understanding. Another benefit is that, generally, particulate pollution from power plants is better controlled than from automobiles (i.e. those nasty compounds that cause acid rain).

Electric cars, trucks, etc., as you point out, won’t free us from fossil fuels, but they can help wean us off of expensive gasoline that comes from imported oil, from my limited understanding.

A hundred mile radius, up to 65mph, at $25k? It’s far richer than my blood, but it’s a good start if people just need something to get them to work and back.

The money is going to Bannon Automotive, a US company which is merely licensing the right to produce the Indian designed car.

Yes, I suspect market studies have been done, and Bannon Automotive wouldn’t be doing this if they didn’t think they could sell the cars. But I couldn’t afford the luxury of a second car, and this seems very much a second (or third) car.

Are you aware that a tremendous amount of heat from the fossil fuel burning is currently wasted because electrical demand currently peaks during the mid-afternoon and plummets after 5:00pm? The ramp down period for a boiler style power plant (most of the older ones) takes hours, as does the ramp up. Evening out power demand and getting more efficient use out the the fuel being burned anyways has been a power company Holy Grail quest for many years.

You wouldn’t get me inside that thing on a bet. It isn’t safe.

I live in the Michigan boondocks, and coming home from work the other day about 4:30 AM, a big whitetail doe leaped out of the woods and right in front of me. I jammed both feet on the brake and stood my old Dodge on its nose, but I still hit the deer. At one point I thought for sure it was going to come right up over the hood and through the windshield at me, but thank God, it didn’t. I don’t know the damage to the deer (it got up and ran off), but the only damage it did to my car was smash the plastic grille out of the front.

Now, if I’d been driving one of those things described in the OP, I’d be dead right now.

Remember here a couple months back when the “don’t text while driving” video came out on youtube, with the English kids getting killed when they cause an accident? I showed the video to my wife, just to get her take on it, and her immediate response was, “Aren’t those the little tiny tinfoil cars that Obama wants us all to be driving?” I hadn’t thought about that aspect before, but I had to admit, she had a point. If everybody in that video had been driving GMC Yukons, probably nobody would have died.

And another interesting aspect-----Obama & Crew want us to “go green” to save the planet, stop burning fossil fuels and drive those little roller skates where you’ll need a trailer on the back for more than one passenger, but the Chinese, who are bringing another coal-fired power plant on line every ten days, are building these:

http://news.chinacars.com/images_news/cjdt/images/200713175398.JPG

Ironic, isn’t it? :wink:

As likely as not, the state and federal governments will invest $85.26M in grants, loan guarantees and incentives and Bannon will invest $26.5M of its own money. This is essentially governments entering into a venture capital program with Bannon. It is highly unlikely that the government would simply give a company money that could be spent in India. In accounting terms, what the governments are giving is “Funds Restricted As To Use” in that they can only be spent on the item in question. The total cost of the project, by the time one factors in the government money and the investment from Bannon would be $117.76M.

I’m no Obama fan, but in fairness I gotta reply.

If EVERYBODY were driving a GMC Yukon, we might all be dead! Bin Laden’s oil rich cronies would have TRILLIONS more dollars to spend on the weapons of mass destruction market. Imagine a hole where New York used to be instead just the towers…

Cause and effect gets harder to predict the further the ripples move from the source. But the ripples DO move from the source!

If we were producing every barrel of the domestic oil we could produce right here in America, Osama and all of his countrymen would be back to raising date trees and racing camels, because gasoline would be about 17¢ a gallon.

I never thought I’d see the day when an Indian company would be doing their manufacturing over here instead of vice versa. It makes sense for Japan to assemble cars here, but I wonder how this works. It must be related to shipping costs.

Anyhow, I’m always glad to see my home state get more jobs for hard working blue collar folks. I just wish they would build it in Buffalo instead :wink: My poor city has always been coming up with half-baked revitalization schemes since the steel industry folded in the 80’s and nothing seems to stick.

India is moving up, as are Brazil and Indonesia. However, I’m afraid that we are simply going to have to reconcile ourselves to the fact that the next world superpower is going to be China, whether we like it or not. We gave them that status, along with all of our industry and jobs, over the last 25 years. And deliberately shot ourselves in the foot…and we continue to commit self-strangulation by adamantly refusing to allow domestic coal production, oil production, steel production, textile production, etc., etc., etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.