Indian military to weaponize world's hottest chili

Google News:

Indian military to weaponize world's hottest chili

GAUHATI, India — The Indian military has a new weapon against terrorism: the world's hottest chili.
After conducting tests, the military has decided to use the thumb-sized "bhut jolokia," or "ghost chili," to make tear gas-like hand grenades to immobilize suspects, defense officials said Tuesday.

The bhut jolokia was accepted by Guinness World Records in 2007 as the world's spiciest chili. It is grown and eaten in India's northeast for its taste, as a cure for stomach troubles and a way to fight the crippling summer heat.

It has more than 1,000,000 Scoville units, the scientific measurement of a chili's spiciness. Classic Tabasco sauce ranges from 2,500 to 5,000 Scoville units, while jalapeno peppers measure anywhere from 2,500 to 8,000.

"This is definitely going to be an effective nontoxic weapon because its pungent smell can choke terrorists and force them out of their hide-outs," R. B. Srivastava, the director of the Life Sciences Department at the New Delhi headquarters of the DRDO said.

First it was Mozart, now it's chili peppers, what will they weaponise next? :confused:

I’m a hot chili fanatic. The hottest chili I ever planted was red habanero. I’ve planted many other varieties of chili. I will try to plant the ghost chili next year when I return from Iraq.

[quote="MugenOne, post:2, topic:192641"]
I'm a hot chili fanatic. The hottest chili I ever planted was red habanero. I've planted many other varieties of chili. I will try to plant the ghost chili next year when I return from Iraq.

[/quote]

This may seem silly, being that you are deployed in Iraq, but be careful with that pepper. :o

The hotness of the red habanero is rated at 577,000 Scoville units, so the ghost chili is roughly twice as hot It was nicknamed "ghost chili" because of a folk belief that eating it might incapacitate or kill a person.

BTW, thanks for serving our country.

Hey, if they can use it as a non-lethal weapon, then by all means, use it! I, for one, am all for the use of non-lethal weapons in fighting criminals. It is best to immobilize them, arrest them, and bring them to justice rather than to kill them. By killing a criminal, you are often simply satisfying the "martyrdom complex" which sometimes exists in dangerous criminals. This is especially true of terrorists. I say that instead of killing them, they should be immobilized if at all possible and then brought to justice. It would be much more humiliating to them to have serve several years if not the rest of their life in prison.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.