Indian Woman, 72, Gives Birth Through IVF

Indian woman who has given birth at the age of 72 through IVF treatment says her life is now complete.

Daljinder Kaur and her 79-year-old husband became parents last month following two years of treatment at a clinic in the northern state of Haryana.

The baby was conceived using the couple’s own egg and sperm and, despite being very small at birth, weighing just two kilograms (4.4lbs), was now “healthy and hearty”, the National Fertility and Test Tube centre said.

news.sky.com/story/1693971/indian-woman-72-gives-birth-through-ivf

Morality aside, this is just :eek:

Who’s going to take care of that child in 5-15 years when his parents are dead?

Unfortunately (speaking as an Indian citizen! :)), with the mushrooming of “fertility centres” as an industry in my country, such outrageous “achievements” are often attempted as a sort of one-upmanship.

I remember vividly, just a year ago, one of these “centres” in my home town running a series of advertisements with the slogan “Grandma became pregnant”! :eek:

It’s sad and absurd. I can only pray that they see the light eventually. :frowning:

Pre-made orphan. Nice.

:rolleyes:

Exactly. Poor boy is almost guaranteed to be an orphan before puberty. And mom and dad won’t have the energy or strength to handle an infant, nor the strength and energy to handle sleepless nights.

All for the vanity of having a made-to-order child, like buying something from a store.

I don’t believe that a woman who us probably 20 years post menopause had any eggs to fertilize. There must be a mistake in the story.

It’s irresponsible to put both mom and baby at risk with these experiments.

Stories like this irk me beyond belief. On one spectrum the left celebrates pregnancy through artificial means such as this, serrogacy, ivf etc, while at the same time complaining that the world is overpopulated and encouraging women to have abortions. Imagine if this had been the same story but an old dog- liberals would have flipped and vegans and PETA supporters everywhere would call it immoral. Smh

The circle of life continues. For at least a few more years, until mom’s heart gives out before kindergarten.

Hakuna Matata.

:thumbsup:

I’m half that woman’s age, and I worry about living long enough for my son’s sake. :o

Irresponsible does not begin to cover this. Pray for this child.

No kidding. I’ve had misgivings about having my first kid in my mid-30’s because I won’t be around as long as my own parents have been (mom was only 22 when I was born). Can’t imagine doing something like that at 70+.

Menopause happens for a reason.

The Guardian* reports that it was a donor egg.

theguardian.com/world/2016/may/10/indian-woman-in-her-70s-gives-birth-to-healthy-baby-boy

This is exactly why IVF is wrong.

And yes, menopause is there for a REASON.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.