Indiana Drops Cursive Writing Requirement

Slate:

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=arial]

[FONT=Arial Black][size=4][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=arial]Indiana Drops Cursive Writing Requirement

[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Computer keyboards and smartphones are finally taking their toll on a centuries-old art form: cursive writing.

This fall, Indiana will become the latest state to drop a requirement to teach cursive as part of the public school curriculum.

State officials alerted school leaders to the change earlier this year, letting them know that students will instead be expected to become proficient in keyboard use, according to Indiana news station Local12.

The debate over the need for cursive isn’t a new one. The worries range from more emotional concerns, like a growing detachment from the written word, to more practical ones, such as fears that a sloppy, simplistic and inconsistent signature is much easier forged.

Those who support the move, meanwhile, say that classroom time is limited and teachers should use the time they have to build computer skills and typing prowess at a time when more and more communication takes place online.

[/FONT]

Are they still teaching block printing? Or just assume everyone has a “device” for to-do, grocery lists, &c.

This is not a new debate. When my son was in grade school his teacher said she was not taught cursive and had to learn it as an adult so she could teach it. [/FONT][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=arial][/FONT]

Its been about 15 years since I have written in cursive, other than signing my name.

But I do wonder if persons not trained in cursive will be able to read those few passages of cursive which still occur in life.

LOL…Dale I hear ya! My writing is an odd combination of cursive and print! Don’t ask…it just comes out that way! :blush:

I hate printing with a passion. It takes forever to fill out a form using print. Lots of things still need to be done by hand. But then who hand writes thank you cards anymore?

The problem isn’t with cursive but with the demand that it be done properly. My mother has gorgeously beautiful cursive handwriting.

But then who hand writes thank you cards anymore

I DO!!!

I’ve been told my penmanship is beautiful … well, it’s very legible is what I say … and why is it (cursive) because we practiced every day our “penmanship” and were so excited to learn cursive.

I stayed in many recesses for penmanship - I was one of the unfortunate that wrote left-handed … HORRORS of HORRORS! yes, the pencil was taken out of my left hand and put in my right.

I think it’s a damn shame they are dropping it. :confused:

I do to! And people tell me my cursive is absolutely horrible, basically illegible. Or they just say I’m fit to become a doctor. :). But I hand write them anyway, just to torture people.

I honestly don’t understand why people have developed an aversion to cursve. I find it much easier and quicker to write in cursive, but most people my age seem to disagree. Most of my firends reverted back to print as soon as they got out of grade school or at latest high school. But i personally can’t stand having to lift my pen between letters.

Yup… Indiana strikes again… I’ve lived in Indiana all my life and the state has made some pretty stupid choices in Education.

My own handwriting is an odd combination of print and cursive. In elementary, my teachers preferred my cursive because it was neater than my print, but by middle school, they preferred the odd combination I had developed, since that was much neater than either.

My own fiancee cannot read cursive - and she’s only a year younger than I. I don’t think any of her friends could either. So, the change isn’t really a change. I don’t think many schools taught handwriting well to begin with. I think the reasoning goes that with the new technology (my old school is now getting iPads for next year, one for each student at the elementary level) , cursive will not be needed. So goes the thought process.

I have an issue with it from a different angle - the education system has been cutting, bit by bit, every subject (arts, language, handwriting) that properly teaches a sort of discipline except for athletics, because of its obvious physical benefits. The arts teach discipline of the mind, language of the tongue and patience, and writing of posture - you cannot write beautifully slouched over. A lack of discipline in one area can open oneself up to serious problems. That’s my objection, at least.

Me, I never learned cursive. We were told all through middle and high school that printing was the “dumb” way to do it, that it showed a certain immaturity of character, and, moreover, it was slower.

Then came college, and the vindication of being the one guy in the class everyone wanted notes from, since “my notes were easier to read”.

I have far better handwriting than most people in my age group… and a large art of that is my lettering being sans serif.

Oh I know they talked about dropping it last year at my Daughter’s school. Said they were going to go straight to keyboarding on computers! I was so sad! They say it’s becoming obsolete. :frowning:

In fourth grade my teacher was big on old fashioned cursive, really loopy stuff. I loved it. I remember competing with another boy in the class, every friday there’d be a test on penmanship and whomever won got a candy - I always got second but man I tried!!! More than that candy I was just intent - had my heart set on having the best penmanship.

After her I never had a teacher that was so obsessive over neat writing, and it’s a shame because everyone always compliments me on my handwriting.

And besides, if you don’t know how to write in cursive how are you supposed to scribe 'I love ‘so and so’ all over your notebooks?! :smiley:

Schools these days barely have time to give kids lunch and a 20-minute recess thanks to NCLB and its all tests, all the time mandates.

You’re right, it is s shame. It’s also a shame that in some places all kids are getting is “skill drill” math and reading instruction K-3, and they get no science at all until 5th.

Thats a really good angle. Also, I kinda feel like it’s part of the english language itself. It’s spoken, and it’s written - it can be printed, or put into cursive. Yes, the language will still exist and it can be written, but that one part will be lost. Like a leg. IDK. :shrug:

Like if … idk, it might be bad example, but like if hearing aid devices for deaf people became so advanced they stopped teaching sign language…

I’ve always noticed that most women have wonderful cursive handwriting compared to most men. While i can write in cursive, its so bad that most of the time i can’t read what i’ve written.

My father, who only had an 8th grade education, had very “neat” cursive handwriting. Once in the while I’ll run across an old equipment manual that his notes written in the margin and its startling to see how even his personal notes were so carefully written.

The way he talked about the 1930’s nuns that taught him you’d think all the swelling from the ruler beatings would have inhibited his ability to write so well. :smiley:

I certainly know that my handwriting is simply atrocious (many a note has been lost because my I couldn’t read what I had written). Still, there is a certain joy to handwriting something. As I undergo my on and off again attempt to learn Arabic, I find myself very appreciative of how beautiful Arabic calligraphy can be.

With that said, the first thing my biology professors told their lecture hall to do was to print when writing examinations. Handwriting may be nice, but I suppose it’s hardly the end of the world if it was no longer mandatory.

I know that as a child, Catholic schools placed great emphasis on neat cursive handwriting which is why most of their students had excellent handwriting skills.

Well, if wonderful = pretty, fine but that doesn’t = legible. I often find my brother male’s scrawls easier to decipher than feminine curlicues.

And besides, if you don’t know how to write in cursive how are you supposed to scribe 'I love ‘so and so’ all over your notebooks?!

yeah, that’s a BIG part of growing up! LOVE IT! :wink:

I liked cursive writing in school and did it very well. It was only when I got to med school that my scribbles became legible only to me. So much to do, so little time.

I am from Indiana.

My son just graduated High School and has no idea how to write in cursive.

It started when he was in grade school. I would make him write out assignments and then he would get counted off for neatness because the other kid had their parents type it out on the computer.

Its too bad… I think cursive is pretty.

I dont think Indiana is alone… I am sure lots of states have kids who dont know how to write in cursive. When We lived in California for a year, my son was never given an assignment they wanted written out either.

Well, what’s next??? Maybe we should just drop all math subjects, after all we have calculaters and computers now… Why should we learn to add and subtract??? On the other hand, if the teachers don’t have to teach these things anymore, we won’t need as many teachers…=== money saved…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.