Indiana priest suspended for calling Antifa maggots

Tsk tsk, that’ll teach him for speaking the truth.

Given that the protests in his area were peaceful and he likely had peaceful protesters among the folks sitting in his pews for Mass, his response was clearly out of line and the bishop did the right thing.

4 Likes

At best, what he said was unoptical. He had it coming, I would say.

3 Likes

“They are maggots and parasites at best, feeding off the isolation of addictions and broken families,” he wrote.

If he leaves this out, there is nothing to suspend him for. Everything else is well stated.

Did you read his whole statement? Frankly, he sounds unhinged.

1 Like

He may have used some colorful language to get his message across but I don’t disagree with the message he’s conveying.

4 Likes

The poster you linked to on FB is the one who sounds a bit unhinged. Aside from the maggots comment, the priest is spot on.

6 Likes

The state of mind of the woman posting is irrelevant. A normal person in their right mind could very easily see the priest’s remarks as over the top and insensitive. A normal priest in an area with peaceful protests occurring would take into account the fact that some of his parish likely participated in or had sympathy for the protest. This isn’t a case where a riot just happened or a statue was pulled down in the neighborhood.

The super-quick suspension of this priest and the bishop’s statement that it was partly for his own good made me wonder if he were having a stress-related loss of judgment or a breakdown of some sort.

The poster called it bigotry. You will have to identify the specific quotes that were bigoted, and those that were insensitive.
I saw no bigotry, and other than the maggots phrase, none that were insensitive.

It is quite possible he was speaking the nation more broadly than his neighborhood. He should be allowed to state his views on the matter.

2 Likes

Well, his bishop thinks otherwise, and in the Catholic Church, priests obey their bishops.
So opinions from you, me and anyone else matter not.

1 Like

True. Again, the maggots comment was out of line, even if he wasn’t a priest.

Sure they matter. Well, mine might not matter, but Catholic laity who agree with the priest should let the bishop know.

I understand that it can be really hard to confront profoundly wrong ideas without attacking the people who are promoting profoundly wrong ideas. I do expect our priests to be held to a higher standard, and Father Rothrock was rightly disciplined by his bishop for stepping over the line.

Saint Thomas Aquinas is a good example of how to state the case of a bad argument and then explain why that argument fails according to both faith and reason. Father Rothrock can be rehabilitated with a little review of what he should have learned in the seminary.

And one day, too late, your principles, if you were ever sensible of them, all rush in upon you. The burden of self-deception has grown too heavy, and some minor incident, in my case my little boy, hardly more than a baby, saying ‘Jewish swine,’ collapses it all at once, and you see that everything, everything, has changed and changed completely under your nose. The world you live in—your nation, your people—is not the world you were born in at all. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves; when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed.

I guess hearing a priest call people maggots isn’t enough to wake people up in the way Milton Mayer described. Or maybe things haven’t changed, and priests always dehumanized people whose ideals they disliked.

1 Like

Well, he said more than just the headline and some pretty extreme things about folks who are just stating that black Lives Matter. The priest was not merely ‘speaking the truth’. Opinions are just that and neither true nor false.

Are you Talking about the fact that the lives of American blacks do indeed matter, or the organization Black Lives Matter.
The former is a truth that all Americans should believe. The latter is a radical left organization with overtones of racism and violence.

5 Likes

He spoke the truth and everyone saying he did wrong is taking it out of context due to political correctness. He said the organizers are maggots. They are. They are marxists and Antifa, BLM, or any other org. was not there for protesting George Floyd. They were using that to go riot, loot, and cause chaos to push their marxist agenda. This is a good holy priest and is doing what needs to be done. There are just too many liberal Catholics who cannot seem to accept that behind this whole thing is Satan, the father of lies.

1 Like

:notes: Oh they’ll know we are Christians by our love who we chose to call maggots. :notes:

1 Like

There is already a thread on this from 2 days ago

It’s been said in this previous thread

Hi johncook, welcome to CAF.
We’re discouraged from starting multiple threads on the same topic.
If you want to join the discussion on the thread that already exists (Tambo posted it), feel free.

It’s generally a good idea to use Search function to see if there’s already a thread started before you begin a new topic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.