Indiana School Removes 'Allah' From Holiday Show After Protests

An elementary school in Indiana reportedly removed a mention of Allah in its holiday show after protests from a national conservative Christian group.

Lantern Road Elementary Principal Danielle Thompson told IndyStar.com that school officials in Fishers, Ind., attempted to teach inclusiveness through the second-grade program that included portions on Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Las Posadas and Kwanzaa.

“It went off last night without a hitch,” Thompson told the Web site. “Several families thought it was a nice program.”

Thompson said officials removed the phrase “Allah is God,” however, after the American Family Association complained about the program on its electronic newsletter. The alteration was made because no other deities were named in the program.

Read more: foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580221,00.html

This is fair…it seems to me…Because of this…"The alteration was made because no other deities were named in the program.’

*Second Graders Sing About Allah?*

*Todd Starnes*

[FONT=Tahoma]foxnewsradio.com/2009/12/14/public-schoo-kids-singing-to-allah/#axzz0ZgJnGmk0[/FONT]

14 December 2009
[FONT=Georgia]A battle over religion is brewing in central Indiana after a public school wanted second graders to sing a song declaring, “Allah is God.” The phrase was removed just before the performance after a national conservative group launched a protest.

The principal of Lantern Road Elementary School in Fishers, IN, said they were trying to teach inclusiveness through their holiday production. It included references to Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Las Posadas and Kwanzaa. However, no other deity, other than Allah, was referenced in the show.

“It went off…without a hitch,” Danielle Thompson told the Indianapolis Star. “Several families thought it was a nice program.”

But others did not – especially David Hogan. His daughter came home with a copy of the lyrics just days before the production. Hogan, a Christian, told the American Family Association, a conservative advocacy group, that he was deeply concerned to learn that his daughter had been singing, “Allah is God.”

Here’s what the children were assigned to sing: [/FONT]

***“Allah is God, we recall at dawn, ***

***Praying ‘til night during Ramadan ***

***At this joyful time we pray happiness for you, ***

***Allah be with you all your life through.” ***

[FONT=Georgia]But when it came time to perform the “Christian” part of Christmas, children were assigned to say: [/FONT]

***“I didn’t know there was a little boy at the manger. What child is this? ***

***I’m not sure if there was a little boy or not. ***

***Then why did you paint one on your nativity window? ***

***I just thought if there was a little boy, I’d like to know exactly what he (sic) say.” ***

[FONT=Georgia]Micah Clark, executive director of the Indiana AFA, launched an Internet protest once he heard about the allegations. “What surprised me here is that we’ve had a secular scrubbing of Christmas for so long and the school apparently didn’t see the problem with kids singing to Allah,” he told FOX News Radio. “You won’t even mention Jesus and you’re going to force my child to sing about Allah?”

In email correspondence the school initially defended the reference as a way to be inclusive of all religions. However, once complaints starting rolling in, school leaders decided to eliminate the Allah reference.

That drew the ire of the Muslim Alliance of Indiana. “It’s unfortunate if that was removed from the program just because of Islamophobic feelings,” Shariq Siddiqui told the Indianapolis Star. “Schools are a place where we should learn more about each other rather than exclude each other based on stereotypes and misconceptions.”

But Clark said having children bow and pray is problematic for non-Muslim families. “(This show) affirmed Islam and negated Christianity. I wouldn’t have had a problem if it had been equal to all faiths.”

At least one Christian family approved of the Allah reference. “I’m a Christian and I was in no way offended by the program at Lantern Road,” said Judy Grasso to The Star.[/FONT]

Read more:http://www.foxnewsradio.com/2009/12/14/public-schoo-kids-singing-to-allah/#ixzz0ZmhPNSA5

“The principal of Lantern Road Elementary School in Fishers, IN, said they were trying to teach inclusiveness through their holiday production. It included references to Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Las Posadas and Kwanzaa. However, no other deity, other than Allah, was referenced in the show.”

Inclusiveness? How inclusive could it be, with no mention of Atheism, Wicca, Pantheism, Satanism, or Zeus?

Tell him what you think:
hse.k12.in.us/contact/index.asp

None of those have a holiday, which is why they were not included :smiley:

This is a difficult problem - how to enrich students by incorporating music into the curriculum, while taking care not to overtly promote a particular religion. It’s generally defensible for public school choirs to sing a lot of Christian music, since that’s a big part of our musical heritage, and high schoolers are arguably mature enough to pipe up if it goes against their beliefs to sing a particular song. I hadn’t thought about the issue of elementary school kids before, however. I suppose all secular songs could be used, but that would be a shame.

[quote="Digitonomy, post:7, topic:179946"]
This is a difficult problem - how to enrich students by incorporating music into the curriculum, while taking care not to overtly promote a particular religion........

[/quote]

Its not difficult at all. It is the systematic tearing down of Christianity by the Left.

In Massacheusettes a boy is sent of for mental evaluation just for drawing Jesus on a cross. Meanwhile, this school tries to supplant a Christian holiday with praises for Allah.

Wake up and smell the coffee man: They are attacking the faith from every quarter. It is the ultimate battle between good and evil.

And for those who don't know which is which, Christianity is the "Good".

You don't "enrich" kids by shoving a false violent ideology disguised as a religion down their throats. Are you a Christian or what?

While I think the words in the program above are stupid, I have no objection to a Muslim child or children singing something like that in their school program. I do think the Christian section should actually mention Christ. One would think that is a little obvious. Likewise, if there was Zeus worshipper's boy :rolleyes:, let him sing a little ditty.

In our school system, our greatest danger comes from secularization and humanism indoctrination, not Islam or Zeusism.

Ye verily fellow Christians! We worship God Himself not the Moon God Allah like them. Sorry, but Allah is the principal god of Arabian polytheism, and all Mohammed did was transport Judaic and Christian values and join together worship of the Moon God. What do you think the Crescent and Star symbolize? Wake up world!

I completely agree with you. The biggest thread in society comes from secularism, not from Islam.

[quote="Digitonomy]This is a difficult problem - how to enrich students by incorporating music into the curriculum, while taking care not to overtly promote a particular religion…
[/quote]

Saying that doesn’t make it so. Do you allow any lyrics at all, so long as the music is good quality? Or do you allow general references to religious beliefs and stories, but not outright proselytizing? Or do you prohibit any religious music at all, and limit the curriculum to secular pieces?

[quote=Irish_Catholic]You don’t “enrich” kids by shoving a false violent ideology disguised as a religion down their throats.
[/quote]

“Allah is God” is a statement consistent with the Catechism and with Catholic usage in Arabic cultures (and Malaysia).

Islam is a fundamentally different religion than Christianity with fundamentally different goals. For secularists to deem that the Christian roots of our holidays and cultures are no longer relevant to our schools is one thing. It is quite another to proselytize that Islam is just like Christian worship of God in a different colored wrapping.

English is not Arabic and Arabic is not English. To use the word Allah instead of God in English leaves the definite impression of Islam upon the English ear. It is not a generic term for deity in English but understood to be a predominately Islamic term. IN Arabic the word may be more generic, but in English it most definitely is not.

There is only one God, but many false teachings of who God is. Islam is but one of these teachings.There is no reason them for Allah to be proselytized in schools then. The effect of this world in English is to proclaim the Allah of Islam to be our God.

He is not. Islam proclaims God falsely.

So no thank you. Allah has no place in Christmas celebration. We speak English here. If we are going to use any word at all, that word should be God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.