Indonesian Muslim body forbids liberal Islam

JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesia’s top Islamic council issued a religious edict on Friday forbidding any liberal interpretation of Islam in the world’s most populous Muslim nation.

Religious liberalism is haram (forbidden),” said a fatwa, or doctrine, issued by the Indonesian Ulemas Council (MUI) and seen by Reuters.

“This is a reminder for Muslims to follow the religion in a correct way and not to try to deviate from the principles,” Ma’aruf Amin, chief the MUI’s Fatwa Commission, told Reuters.

Another fatwa banned inter-religious marriages in Indonesia where 85 percent of its 220 million follow Islam.

There is widespread debate in Indonesia over inter-religious marriages with some clerics saying Muslim men can marry non-Muslim women.

But Amin said the MUI had decided to ban such marriages “for the sake of Indonesian Muslims”.

“This is the strongest view at the MUI and we are doing this to improve the religion quality of the Muslim,” Amin added.

in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2005-07-29T194937Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-211053-1.xml

[quote=gilliam]JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesia’s top Islamic council issued a religious edict on Friday forbidding any liberal interpretation of Islam in the world’s most populous Muslim nation.

Religious liberalism is haram (forbidden),” said a fatwa, or doctrine, issued by the Indonesian Ulemas Council (MUI) and seen by Reuters.

“This is a reminder for Muslims to follow the religion in a correct way and not to try to deviate from the principles,” Ma’aruf Amin, chief the MUI’s Fatwa Commission, told Reuters.

Another fatwa banned inter-religious marriages in Indonesia where 85 percent of its 220 million follow Islam.

There is widespread debate in Indonesia over inter-religious marriages with some clerics saying Muslim men can marry non-Muslim women.

But Amin said the MUI had decided to ban such marriages “for the sake of Indonesian Muslims”.

“This is the strongest view at the MUI and we are doing this to improve the religion quality of the Muslim,” Amin added.

in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2005-07-29T194937Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-211053-1.xml
[/quote]

Muslim men are allowed to marry people of the Book…Christian women and Jewish woman-----and no cleric can take that away based on religious grounds…simply because GOD said they can in the Quran and no one is above God.

Muslims have been given a perfect religion…one that guides them in every aspect of their lives…why would you want to twist and turn that so that you can do what you want to do? God knows us better, and we are better off following Him.

[quote=Faith101]Muslim men are allowed to marry people of the Book…Christian women and Jewish woman-----and no cleric can take that away based on religious grounds…simply because GOD said they can in the Quran and no one is above God.

[/quote]

This is tribalism, Christian and Jewish men cannot marry muslim women, because that would allegedly decrease the ummah.

Islam beleives in the Kingdom on earth, Christianity believes in the Kingdom in heaven.

Islam beleives in the Kingdom on earth, Christianity believes in the Kingdom in heaven.>>

Christianity believes in the Kingdom both on earth and in heaven. Read The Belief of Catholics by Ronald Knox

[quote=hawk]This is tribalism, Christian and Jewish men cannot marry muslim women, because that would allegedly decrease the ummah.

Islam beleives in the Kingdom on earth, Christianity believes in the Kingdom in heaven.
[/quote]

every time you post something like this…it makes me doubt that you have ever understood Islam.

SubhanAllah, it is never the knowledgble Muslims that leave Islam. Thank you for proving that yet again :smiley:

Dr.Mohammed Rahoumy, Dean,
Al Azhar Islamic University,
Cairo, Egypt.

The most famous person that left Islam is Dr. Muhammed Rahoumy. He is the Dean of Al Azhar Islamic University in Cairo Egypt. For those of you who haven’t heard of Al Azhar, it is the oldest and most prestigious Islamic school of theology and mosque IN THE WORLD. It is older than any university in Europe and is seen as the pinnacle of Sunni Islamic learning.

Dr. Muhammed Rahoumy (now Dr. Samuel Paul) left Islam in 2000, and now lives in the USA.

In Christ,
selvaraj

[quote=selvaraj]Dr.Mohammed Rahoumy, Dean,
Al Azhar Islamic University,
Cairo, Egypt.

The most famous person that left Islam is Dr. Muhammed Rahoumy. He is the Dean of Al Azhar Islamic University in Cairo Egypt. For those of you who haven’t heard of Al Azhar, it is the oldest and most prestigious Islamic school of theology and mosque IN THE WORLD. It is older than any university in Europe and is seen as the pinnacle of Sunni Islamic learning.

Dr. Muhammed Rahoumy (now Dr. Samuel Paul) left Islam in 2000, and now lives in the USA.

In Christ,
selvaraj
[/quote]

peace selvaraj

can you give me a link, i tried googling his name but found one site that doesnt work.

[quote=Faith101]every time you post something like this…it makes me doubt that you have ever understood Islam.

SubhanAllah, it is never the knowledgble Muslims that leave Islam. Thank you for proving that yet again :smiley:
[/quote]

Attacking my understanding of islam makes you feel better doesnt it.

But I am three people, and we all left islam, and are very happy.

Salaam, go in peace brother.

[quote=hawk]Attacking my understanding of islam makes you feel better doesnt it.

But I am three people, and we all left islam, and are very happy.

Salaam, go in peace brother.
[/quote]

no it doesnt make me feel better. But your understanding of Islam is lacking.

by the way, I’m a female

[quote=Faith101]no it doesnt make me feel better. But your understanding of Islam is lacking.

by the way, I’m a female
[/quote]

Very well sister, go in peace.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The fatwa of Majelis Ulama Indonesia is denied by many Moslems scholars ( one of them is principal of National Islamic University mr. Hazuardi ) and Human Rights Body of Indonesia.

Indonesia is the most democratic country of the most populated muslim countries in the world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.